This site is not affiliated with AGCO Inc., Duluth GA., Allis-Chalmers Co., Milwaukee, WI., or any surviving or related corporate entity. All trademarks remain the property of their respective owners. All information presented herein should be considered the result of an un-moderated public forum with no responsibility for its accuracy or usability assumed by the users and sponsors of this site or any corporate entity.
The Forum Parts and Services Unofficial Allis Store Tractor Shows Serial Numbers History
Forum Home Forum Home > Other Topics > Shops, Barns, Varmints, and Trucks
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

KW Project

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 23456 20>
Author
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JohnColo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Dec 2020 at 8:33pm
Never a dull moment in Hermon, MO.  Cars can be fixed, wives not so easily.  Unless,of course you want... er never mind.
Sponsored Links

Sugarmaker View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sugarmaker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Dec 2020 at 9:06pm
Dave,
 Our Condolences to you and your family. Good you went to see him! 
Truck project will for sure keep you busy! 
Regards,
 Chris
D17 1958 (NFE), WD45 1954 (NFE), WD 1952 (NFE), WD 1950 (WFE), Allis F-40 forklift, Allis CA, Allis D14, Ford Jubilee, Many IH Cub Cadets, 32 Ford Dump, 65 Comet.
SteveM C/IL View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SteveM C/IL Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Dec 2020 at 11:38pm
BXS or NXS ? Gotta luv them 4 bolt rods!  There is a lot of swinging mass @ 2100rpm!
DMiller View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DMiller Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Dec 2020 at 6:34am
BXS
Going to build as a 6NZ
Drop compression, invest in single turbo conversion and either reflash or replace processor.
While under the hood clearing rats nests noticed front engine mounts had sagged and split, new replacements ordered along with APTIV(Delphi) connector repair kit. Have a number with broken latches and a few been cut out and wire terminal replaced.
Will be at this most of winter

Edited by DMiller - 24 Dec 2020 at 6:39am
DMiller View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DMiller Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Dec 2020 at 7:51am
Thanks to all for the condolences, he is in a much better place now as the pain is gone and he can rest, he and My Dad can enjoy each other's company for eternity.  Long life, quite the family and quite the accomplishments given the adversities he faced over the years.

These are APTIV/Delphi connectors

Edited by DMiller - 24 Dec 2020 at 8:00am
tadams(OH) View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tadams(OH) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Dec 2020 at 10:06am
Prayers for your family on the loss of Uncle, hope your wife wasn't shock up to much from her accident. You sure have your time planned and looks like your enjoying every minute of it.  Merry Christmas to everyone
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tadams(OH) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Dec 2020 at 12:47pm
Dave you shouldn't have trouble getting parts shipped to you now that the Christmas maddeness is over.
DMiller View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DMiller Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Dec 2020 at 1:22pm
Small stuff already arriving, some pieces set to arrive Monday.
DMiller View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DMiller Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Dec 2020 at 4:26pm
Current Status, Both fuel tanks off, rear most mounts back to where will end up, one front mount hanging the other awaiting spacers that will have to be made.  Disconnected air tanks and shift back to the fuel tank mount, removed the unnecessary added in tubing and snipped poorly executed battery cable additions.

Need to procure the Battery/Tool boxes rear mounts and get the tank hanger spacers then can await the sleeve puller.

Also need to stop by Fastenal and get more 5/8 x 2 1/2 and 3" bolts washers and lock nuts.
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sugarmaker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Dec 2020 at 6:22pm
Dave,
 Looks like a lot of my projects! Something has to get dirty or demoed before it can start to come back to life! Thanks for the updates!
Regards,
 Chris
D17 1958 (NFE), WD45 1954 (NFE), WD 1952 (NFE), WD 1950 (WFE), Allis F-40 forklift, Allis CA, Allis D14, Ford Jubilee, Many IH Cub Cadets, 32 Ford Dump, 65 Comet.
DMiller View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DMiller Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Dec 2020 at 5:57am
Heavy trucks, heavy equipment, even old tractors seem to have taken the brunt of bad mechanic work over the years, this one no less.  Instead of cutting down as I expected the air line tubing to have been, they just added more with ever more leak spots and connections.  Turns out for the better as move the tanks back to where are supposed to be.  Battery work not so much!!  Will probably just have cables made to replace the mess on it.

Once I get the spacers and brackets I will wire brush and clear the rust boils from the frame under the cab/sleeper, get out the airless sprayer and do at least those sections prior to installing the battery box and tool box.  Then the Left fuel tank will get a hand polish up and reinstall, the right one(compartmented for Hydraulics) is headed to Montgomery Salvage to trade out for a plain right hand tank.  Its replacement will receive same as left side then install.
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tadams(OH) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Dec 2020 at 9:16am
Sounds like a long process that will be a big improvement 

DMiller View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DMiller Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Dec 2020 at 3:49pm
A little scary today, Wife had Second appointment for a 'Mass' detected, third time present where radiologist Believes is a Benign Cyst HOWEVER they go thru a second set of images today and recommended a Biopsy, that to occur 01/08.  So pretty quiet coming home where found box on my shop stoop.  Buddy dropped it off, said send cash and Keep it, NEVER once had out of packaging in six years.  LESS than 10 minutes later including Unpackaging to this, using a 1 1/8" socket and a long 1/2" drive flex head ratchet.

Should have my butt kicked across the state for being SO CHEAP for close to fifty years NOT investing in one of these, laying under trucks tractors, Heavy machines and standing over inverted removed engines flailing like a idiot with a four pound hammer and block of oak.  ALWAYS Took FOREVER to get them moving and unstuck, sweat like on fire and blood lettings to equal Dark Ages medicine!!!

Again ALMOST ten minutes, ZERO Strain.

DMiller View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DMiller Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Dec 2020 at 3:51pm
And YES, I need to overhaul the 180, I am NOT giving this back, cash ALREADY in mail!!!!
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Sugarmaker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Dec 2020 at 4:21pm
Dave,
 It's all about the tooling! Nice piece that saved you hours. I did a home made puller build for my WD series engines. But that there is a nice unit done all from the top too!
Hope things are good with your wife!
 Regards,
 Chris
JohnColo View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JohnColo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Dec 2020 at 8:18pm
I hope the docs are right about your wife, seems like she has had enough trauma lately.
Nice tool!  I've been trying to get the piston out of an M crawler so I can pull the cylinder, may have to pull them together.  Sure is nice to have the right tools for the job.
desertjoe View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote desertjoe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Dec 2020 at 8:21pm

Well, Guys I'm an ole Shade tree'er and made up some pullers, knockers' loosers and all kinds of tools but am havin some trouble figurin how your puller worked,,,, Did you bend that 1 1/2" pipe pulling the liners or,,,,,?
DMiller View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DMiller Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Dec 2020 at 3:41am
Legs are spring loaded to swing out
Pin in place to a length appropriate to sleeve length to connect at the bottom and have jack screw length to pull
Lower legs solid upper section close to schedule 80 pipewall
Remainder of yoke is all machined solid steel parts
Has smallish bolt in stubs that grip sleeve at bottom
Will take photo with it out

Are several variations on the pattern all work similarly
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tadams(OH) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Dec 2020 at 1:12pm
Yes the right tools sure make a job easy.
Sending prayers for your wife's biopsy and everything being negative and Ok.
DMiller View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DMiller Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Dec 2020 at 1:19pm
Thanks fellas, she is not much worried, but remains worried.
desertjoe View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote desertjoe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Dec 2020 at 4:28pm

Aw Chit,,Dave,,I see the TOOL now,,,,Chit, I was lookin at #2,3,4,5 and 6 cause the #1 was kinda dark so I just followed the ratchet up to the tool,,,,,Yeah,,post a pic when you gt done,,,,so I can make me a copy,,,,,WinkWinkWink (Give me an excuse to use my trusty lathe)Clap
DMiller View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DMiller Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Dec 2020 at 4:57pm
This is quite a Brute, hex is 1 1/8"  Pins are 3/8" , Small package has two smaller width lip feet.

DMiller View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DMiller Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Dec 2020 at 5:04pm
Today was another running day, eye doc visit this time, no issues for Wife, did get my DA out and hit block deck with some 320.

Needs a little further cleaning but my 40 year old straight edge says Good To Go!!
steve(ill) View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote steve(ill) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Dec 2020 at 5:55pm
thats one heck of a puller DAVE... glad i didnt have to PAY for it !!

Kind of like a lower ball joint press for car/ truck... dont know how many HOURS i have beat on them with a 5 pound hammer to remove.... Bought a cheap press at HF about 10 years ago... Now they pop out in 2 minutes... and it takes 1 of them minutes to get it setup out of the box !

Edited by steve(ill) - 30 Dec 2020 at 6:01pm
Like them all, but love the "B"s.
DMiller View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DMiller Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Dec 2020 at 6:18pm
Is a Chunk of Iron, made popping those buggers slicker than snot!!!  New they run $550-650 now, when I was wrenching full time, similar was less than $250 but them were tight times, and I was a cheap bustard!!!
DMiller View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DMiller Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Dec 2020 at 6:43pm
Still need to clean/clear head bolt holes, get some parts thru Cat as Rocker Arm Shafts and bolts, thread lube, assembly lube and any sealants suggested by them.   Will have to order a new head, see how it shows up as for internals(Overhead Cam) and whether or not has Injector cups.  

Already started the order from IPD as to piston cylinder kits, bearings, gaskets and seals with a New head spacer plate and full set head bolts.
DMiller View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DMiller Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Jan 2021 at 2:19pm
Have the IPD list filled out and ordered, looking at a week out, Cat has the essential pieces for the Head replacement and found a New Head no core in Houston TX, $3300(Aftermarket.  Will be on order come Monday, closed today.    Four Group 31 batteries are just a call away.  ALL New coolant hoses and on engine fuel/oil lines.

By end of engine work already allocated will have close to $9,000 JUST in engine.  Once assembled will need to buy a Single Turbo conversion kit, that will be around $4,000.  Fuel tank clean outs, inspect standpipes, validate gauge function to cab and Polish Tanks.
Transmission has a PTO hanging from it, leaks, will either reseal or remove and reinstall cover over the hole, fill with fresh 28# Syn. 50wt.

As I rebuild finances will get into a Full Brakes repair, Shoes, Drums, Slack Adjusters cam bushings, air chambers and frame to axle hoses, all six positions, runs right at $250 a wheel not including seals or bearings or supplemental valve or other work.  Followed with Suspension repairs, all eight rear air bags, four axle lines, leveling valve.  Set ten new tires, polish rims as can.

Last up for function, electrical, re-establish rear lighting, correct bad connectors and plugs, reset hood and get all lighting to Code with wiring weather tight.  Full exhaust hang.

When get to Aesthetic parts, floor mat comes out, new insulation on floor, New air ride Left Seat, either rebuild right seat base or convert to second new air ride seat, misc. interior trim components.  New Sleeper mattress, liner the sleeper tool box floors.

At this point need to determine if will Repaint Cab/Sleeper.  Misc. trim replacements/additions, what ever small failures occur before get to tow ready

Edited by DMiller - 01 Jan 2021 at 2:21pm
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tadams(OH) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Jan 2021 at 3:15pm
Then it should be warmer outside and ready to travel.
DMiller View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DMiller Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Jan 2021 at 3:24pm
Winter should be done by then, or just coming back on!!  Wife is considering becoming Snowbird.

She will be 62 in three years come June, and be able to retire too.
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tadams(OH) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Jan 2021 at 12:45pm
  We have been retired for 12 years and have Grandchildren and wife has a son, sister & brother in Florida. We usually go down around Thanksgiving and do Christmas with Grandkids and plan on staying for 2 weeks, usually around 10 days wife says lets go home and we head home. I would have to get a job or something to do if we went for the winter I would get to bored.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 23456 20>
  Share Topic