This site is not affiliated with AGCO Inc., Duluth GA., Allis-Chalmers Co., Milwaukee, WI., or any surviving or related corporate entity. All trademarks remain the property of their respective owners. All information presented herein should be considered the result of an un-moderated public forum with no responsibility for its accuracy or usability assumed by the users and sponsors of this site or any corporate entity.
The Forum Parts and Services Unofficial Allis Store Tractor Shows Serial Numbers History
Forum Home Forum Home > Other Topics > Shops, Barns, Varmints, and Trucks
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Kinda reached a milestone,,,,,

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote desertjoe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Kinda reached a milestone,,,,,
    Posted: 06 Sep 2020 at 8:24pm

Well,,,I got the Brutus 468 all lashed up, painted  and shoehorned into the 1982 Silverado a couple of days ago,,,!!!!Clap Got all the muffler work and tail pipes all welded up and started on lashing up all the underhood hoses ect,,ect, Finally got to where I could not stand it no more so I hot wired a hot to the new distributor thru a toggle switch and Fired that Mother up,,,,!!!  WHEW,,but do it sound good,,!! A whole lots better than the tired 305 that it replaced,,,,Clap Here's my questions,,,,(ya'll knew they was comin, din'cha?)
 Anyways,,the guy I bought the trk from was a kinda of a curtain climber and he fancied himself an expert on electric horns and lights and he cut and spliced into and out of various parts of the under hood wiring harness to the point where it one big friggin mess,,!!  I have removed four (4) different horns and left the two factory horns. PLUS he had added several extra speakers , a stereo and a 6 CD changer,,,dang!!
 The trk has the dual fuel tanks and I had to replace the broken switch on dash,,but the fuel is still not getting to the carb. I have a temp setup with a hose and funnel and feeding the carb as it runs,,,,Does anybody know IF GM used TWO switching valves on this type system,,,??  ,,,OR,,?
Sponsored Links

steve(ill) View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote steve(ill) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Sep 2020 at 9:05pm
skip down to post #4.... two tanks, one switch to control two inlet lines ( each tank) and 1 outlet line ( to motor), and 3 vent lines..

Like them all, but love the "B"s.
desertjoe View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote desertjoe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Sep 2020 at 1:04am

Hey Steve,,,"You're the best,!!"  that is exactly what I was lookin for,,,ClapClap
 I'ma gonna crawl under the trk first thing and pull the "Pollack valve" to see why it ain't switching. I had put 3 gallons of fuel in the left side tank and the right side tank is prolly empty since the trk has been settin so long.
 I seem to remember on the first squarebody I had was a 1980, I think, and a guy told me to reroute the fuel lines to the left side of trk and install a 3 way manual valve mounted just under the driver's seat that you could reach down and switch tanks from driver's seat,,,,but do not remember how we addressed the return lines,,,or,,,if there WERE any return lines,,,,,??
 HMMMmmmm,,,I wonder if you could just plug the return line at the fuel pump,,and at both tanks,,,,???
desertjoe View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote desertjoe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Sep 2020 at 5:56am

I'm just curious bout something,,on them return fuel lines,,,,,On this trk,,,it originally had the return fuel line and must of had the matching fuel pump. When I bought the trk, it had a new fuel pump "Without"  the return line connection built on the fuel pump. I did save the pump but it would not fit on the big block, so I re-used the pump that came with the big block and it does have the extra connection for the return line,,so I hooked it up,,,,,?
 I've been reading bout lots of people havin problems with those switching valves and I now remember one of my company pickups having to get that valve changed out a couple of times.
 I figure that this BBC with the Edelbrock Preformer carb is gonna like that gasoline pretty much and there ain't ever gonna be ANY fuel goin back to the tank,,,,SOOooo,,,I'm for plugging the return line at both ends, remove the switching valve,,,and let the new owner of the trk try to figure it all out"IF" he wants both tanks to operate,,,,Ten Four,,,???
Ray54 View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ray54 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Sep 2020 at 11:34am
Wink Joe let tell you a story. The old man had 75 gallon tank in the back of his 75 Chey so you could hall cows all day and not stop and gas up. At well over 200,000 mile he orders up a new truck. Will not think of getting the 2 tank option,as he had a big tank to put in the bed. Well he get the hitch and tank put in that 82 GMC. You run off that big tank and the gas gauge goes up to full.LOL He was so happy new truck was making gas.LOL Well that gas making truck started sputtering and would die.Cry He bugged the outfit that sold this truck they had not a clue. A fair number of them good old Joe can fix it guys got bugged too.

After much frustration and many mechanics getting a talking to. You NEED A RETURN LINE AND A TANK THAT IS NO OVER FULL. If you don't it floods the charcoal vapor canister (all that fun air pollution stuff) and they don't run when flooded.LOL You let the bugger sit a few hours it will run for a bit till it floods again.

Now if this clever O'l Joe has stripped the all the extra "keep the air clean" crap off who knows what you can do.

This one got "fixed" by running the by pass line to the big tank.

All was good till he wanted to run the original tank for some reason and the gas had gone bad.

*** LOL But that did lead to me finding the best weed killer EVER. Living in the Land of Fruits and Nuts you need to be careful how you dispose of toxic wast.LOL So I put some of that old bad gas in the pump up hand sprayer. Spray some tough weeds that grow all summer here in that 110 and not had a rain in 3 month. By the time I got done spraying that 2 gl of bad gas and walked back to where I started (I walked a lot faster 25 years ago) those O'l nasty weeds was wilted and turning brown. 
Thad in AR. View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Thad in AR. Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Sep 2020 at 5:49pm
Some Quadra jets returned to the tank. The Edelbrock will not. Plug at the tanks. Use switch for gauges only and get a manual selector valve as you mentioned. Make sure gas cap vents and smoke them thar tars.
Ted J View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Ted J Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Sep 2020 at 7:49pm
I think you need some Beano...... you gots a gas problem...
"Allis-Express"
19?? WC / 1941 C / 1952 CA / 1956 WD45 / 1957 WD45 / 1958 D-17
desertjoe View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote desertjoe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Sep 2020 at 8:45am

OK,,now I'm needing some more info for finishing up ole Brutus 454 in the Silverado. None of the accessory brackets from the 305 are fitting on the 454,,Why didn't I already know that? I did manage to "retrofit" (I like thet word) the throttle bracket to work on the Edelbrock and added the kickdown bracket to it and works Many Wonderfuls,,,,,
 BUT,,,the alternator, power steering and A/C brackets are a total "Aw Chit",,,,,
  I checked out a bunch of "images" on the net but cannot find anything that shows the brackets theirselves,,,,. Some outfits sell the Custom Chrome brackets but they place the alternator and A/C way high up on the engine and no way I'm spending that kind of dollars for that chit,,,,,,,Maybe them two professional "INTERNET LOOKERS" like ole JC and Chask can find em but I ain't havin no luck,,,,OR,,
 Does anybody have an early to mid 80's chevy trk or car with the BBC that might could take some pics so I gots an idea what the brackets look like,,,??? I done been to 3 wrecking yards and no luck,,,,,
Michael V (NM) View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Michael V (NM) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Sep 2020 at 9:22am
Yep, none in the wrecking yards cause the small block to big block change has been a LOT,, but I bet there's some out there
john(MI) View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote john(MI) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Sep 2020 at 9:31am
Old Shamers has all them burbs up there, maybe one of them have the brackets you need?  It would be a pain getting them in the dark but heh!?!?Big smile
D14, D17, 5020, 612H, CASE 446
chaskaduo View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote chaskaduo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Sep 2020 at 9:43am
1938 B, 79 Dynamark 11/36 6spd, 95 Weed-Eater 16hp, 2010 Bolens 14hp
desertjoe View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote desertjoe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Sep 2020 at 8:30pm

Hey Thanks,,Chask,,I seen one just like this one but I did fail to mention that the water pump I got on the engine is the "short style" and this one is for the long style pump,,Drat,,!!
 I been noticing ole JC ain't been on here too often lately,,,sure hoping he ain't down with anything,,,,,,
 I checked out an old motor home that has the BBC AND,,the brackets that may fit,,,Gotta wait til Thursday to go get a closer look ,,,cause tamarrow is Dialysis day for the wife,,,,,,
 (fingers crossed)
Thad in AR. View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Thad in AR. Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Sep 2020 at 6:10am
Joe check your texts.
I sent you a link but for a late 454 TBI. May not work but I’m still looking.
desertjoe View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote desertjoe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Sep 2020 at 8:31am

I'm checking it out now, Thad,, Many THanks, Guy,,!!
Coke-in-MN View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Coke-in-MN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Sep 2020 at 3:18pm
Different fuel pump on air conditioned and non - so some had return lines and others did not - without the switch operated the gas gauge and energized the solonoid for other tank but default was to left tank (I think) only. 
 Latter used a solonoid that had multi ports to route the return hose and stayed in position with no default . Acted like more or a linear actuator motor to keep whatever position the switch was in 

Faith isn't a jump in the dark. It is a walk in the light. Faith is not guessing; it is knowing something.
"Challenges are what make life interesting; overcoming them is what makes life meaningful."
desertjoe View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote desertjoe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Sep 2020 at 2:55am

Well,,Coke,,,I DID have lots of plans for this trk as it is really nice and now with the big Bruiser BBC, It ought to sell right quick. It has been a "Learnin project" what with puttin the big block in the place of the 305,,for sure. I have made myself a firm promise that I am no longer doing any more guvment Jobs for anybody as I do want to get back to my favorite,,,55 Chevy.
  I ain't gettin no younger any more and that has to be my next project after this Black trk. I been waitin on a dang wiring diagram for over 3 weeks now as the Curtain Climber PO did a number on the original wiring harness,,,,he had a sweet spot for horns and lights, he did,,,,,LOL
 I was able to fashion a new bracket for the throttle cable and the kickdown cable and looks almost factory. I finally hollard "calf Rope" on the brackets for the power steering and  alternator and ordered new ones,,they be here next Wed so I can start doing the final detail on the trk and slap a "For Sale" sign on it,,,,,,,,I'ma let the new owner worry bout mounting the A/C,,if he wants to,,,,,, I'm thinkin he gonna be too busy tryin to fry them Ta'ars tho,,,,,,,WinkClap
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic