This site is not affiliated with AGCO Inc., Duluth GA., Allis-Chalmers Co., Milwaukee, WI., or any surviving or related corporate entity. All trademarks remain the property of their respective owners. All information presented herein should be considered the result of an un-moderated public forum with no responsibility for its accuracy or usability assumed by the users and sponsors of this site or any corporate entity.
The Forum Parts and Services Unofficial Allis Store Tractor Shows Serial Numbers History
Forum Home Forum Home > Other Topics > Shops, Barns, Varmints, and Trucks
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Keyways in L306 Woods

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ted J Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Keyways in L306 Woods
    Posted: 07 Jan 2024 at 1:40am
After watching Thads' thread and video about broaching keyways, I am going to ask a question that has befuddled me since I owned my first Woods L306.  I have as yet NEVER had the good luck to dismount the pulleys from the mower.  I have broken off MANY 1/4" bolts that are SUPPOSED to push the head of the pulley off the shaft and make them into two parts so you can work on them.  Additionally, what grade bolt are these 1/4" bolts supposed to be?
I'm sure at this point that there are a good number of guys out there that have the same problem and are looking for a solution.
WHAT is the best way to take these pulleys apart without breaking off a bolt or stripping the threads on the pulleys?
Hopefully this questions is as clear as,,,,,,,well mud...

Edited by Ted J - 07 Jan 2024 at 1:41am
"Allis-Express"
19?? WC / 1941 C / 1952 CA / 1956 WD45 / 1957 WD45 / 1958 D-17
Sponsored Links

DiyDave View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DiyDave Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Jan 2024 at 4:57am
If you are talking about the 2 piece tapered pulleys with the 3 pusher screws, here's what I do.  First soak all in your favorite penetrating oil.  Then remove the holding screws, and place them in the removing holes.  Next, find a pipe that fits loosely around the pulley center part, but not so big as to be on any spokes of the pulley.  Take a BFH, strike the pipe, snug up the bolts and take another swing.  Rarely takes many swings...Wink

The ideal, in a world where there is no rust or corrosion:

If the center remains stuck, oil again, and use a puller to pull just the center.  It normally has a split down one side, so occasionally they break in half.  If they are really corroded, consider it a blessing if the part splits, cause it saves a lot of fussing and cussing, and a new center ain't all that expensive...Wink
Source: Babylon Bee. Sponsored by BRAWNDO, its got what you need!
steve(ill) View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote steve(ill) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Jan 2024 at 8:35am
The SHOCK or IMPACT works on a lot of problems.
Like them all, but love the "B"s.
Ted J View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ted J Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Jan 2024 at 7:15pm
What grade are those 1/4" bolts supposed to be?
"Allis-Express"
DiyDave View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DiyDave Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Jan 2024 at 8:37pm
I think they are 5 or 8, but I haven't looked at one, in several years...Confused
Source: Babylon Bee. Sponsored by BRAWNDO, its got what you need!
Coke-in-MN View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Coke-in-MN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Jan 2024 at 12:02am
Idea is to put pressure on sleeve , then rap the assembly , little more pressure and another rap . Browning sheaves use their own sleeve , I use to use Taper Locks which had 2 allen screws to tighten and one as a release means . Those fit entirely inside the driven sprocket or sheave . Browning type were exposed and not flush fitting so outer collar could also be pulled with a gear puller 
Faith isn't a jump in the dark. It is a walk in the light. Faith is not guessing; it is knowing something.
"Challenges are what make life interesting; overcoming them is what makes life meaningful."
Dakota Dave View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dakota Dave Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Jan 2024 at 7:29am
I gave up on mine called to woods dealer they had one in stock. I had already snapped the bolt holding the blade . I cut the shaft with a torch picked up a new shaft and pulley was back together shortly.
Ted J View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ted J Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Jan 2024 at 6:45am
Originally posted by Dakota Dave Dakota Dave wrote:

I gave up on mine called to woods dealer they had one in stock. I had already snapped the bolt holding the blade . I cut the shaft with a torch picked up a new shaft and pulley was back together shortly.
How do you snap that bolt?  WOW, must have been using a 'helper' bar.  Were you going the wrong way Dave?
"Allis-Express"
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic