This site is not affiliated with AGCO Inc., Duluth GA., Allis-Chalmers Co., Milwaukee, WI., or any surviving or related corporate entity. All trademarks remain the property of their respective owners. All information presented herein should be considered the result of an un-moderated public forum with no responsibility for its accuracy or usability assumed by the users and sponsors of this site or any corporate entity.
The Forum Parts and Services Unofficial Allis Store Tractor Shows Serial Numbers History
Forum Home Forum Home > Allis Chalmers > Farm Equipment
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

keeping paint on muffler

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Silver Level
Silver Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote orangeman Ia Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: keeping paint on muffler
    Posted: 10 Dec 2010 at 7:07am
How do you guys keep paint on  mufflers? I "m using  black paint that they use on headers, but it seems to flake off. The muffler is on a  wd- 45. Thank you.
Sponsored Links

Chad(WI) View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Chad(WI) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Dec 2010 at 7:14am
How are you prepping the muffler? It has the be free from oil, and scuffing it lightly with emerey cloth will almost guarantee adhesion.
jaybmiller View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jaybmiller Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Dec 2010 at 7:15am
Flaking off usually points to the paint not bonding to the surface,at least that's my observations.

I've used VHT brand of paint, but used their primer first, then the color coat. I sanded it down real good,cleaned with laquer thinner, primered,painted.
VHT says you don't need their primer but...it does fill in the sand marks well,
Did this on a nice warm day last summer....so far ,so good.

3 D-14s,A-C forklift, B-112
Kubota BX23S lil' TOOT( The Other Orange Tractor)

Never burn your bridges, unless you can walk on water
DonDittmar View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DonDittmar Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Dec 2010 at 7:23am
I found with Hi-Temp paint, once the manifold is clean, I set it on top of the wood stove, get it warm, blast it with paint, then set it right back on the wood stove and bake it on. I usually hit it with 2-3 coats
Experience is a fancy name for past mistakes. "Great moments are born from great opportunity"

1968 D15D,1962 D19D
Also 1965 Cub Loboy and 1958 JD 720 Diesel Pony Start
orangeman Ia View Drop Down
Silver Level
Silver Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote orangeman Ia Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Dec 2010 at 7:50am
Thanks guys I"ll use some of your methods you suggested.
Dusty MI View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dusty MI Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Dec 2010 at 8:20am
Originally posted by DonDittmar DonDittmar wrote:

I found with Hi-Temp paint, once the manifold is clean, I set it on top of the wood stove, get it warm, blast it with paint, then set it right back on the wood stove and bake it on. I usually hit it with 2-3 coats

It was on the local news a couple days ago that a garage blew up. It seems that a guy was painting a car, and the garage was being heated with a wood burning stove.

He received 2nd and 3rd degree burns.

Dusty

917 H, '48 G, '65 D-10 series III "Allis Express"
Butch(OH) View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Butch(OH) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Dec 2010 at 8:43am
For a work tractor? no paint stays on red hot muffler.  For play machines we use BBQ grill paint from any hardware it works as well as any I have tried. Stays on except for red hot. Not a pretty black but looks  better than rust.
KC-WD45 View Drop Down
Silver Level
Silver Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KC-WD45 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Dec 2010 at 10:20am
I used the same stuff Butch mentioned (BBQ paint) but first I removed the paint that came on the muffler when I bought it.  I plowed with it this fall for 50+ hours and it still looks like new.
Brad MI View Drop Down
Silver Level
Silver Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Brad MI Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Dec 2010 at 10:42am
BBQ  paint is also available in a couple shades of gray at some places. If you really need it painted to stay painted you'll need to send it out and have it ceramic coated, but I wouldn't spend the money. 

Edited by Brad MI - 10 Dec 2010 at 10:43am
injpumpEd View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote injpumpEd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Dec 2010 at 10:53am
I use the rustoleum BBQ flat black on my pulling tractor pipe. It pegs the 1500 egt gauge, and the paint still looks great. I didn't even prep it very well, figuring it wouldn't last too long. It proved me wrong! 
210 "too hot to farm" puller, part of the "insane pumpkin posse". Owner of Guenther Heritage Diesel, specializing in fuel injection systems on heritage era tractors. stock rebuilds to all out pullers!
firebrick43 View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote firebrick43 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Dec 2010 at 11:03am
I have found on motorcycle and tractor mufflers that what DonDittmar says about getting it warm, painting, and baking it on works.  I use an old electric oven.  Also I found out, never mix brands of paint, they won't work with each other.  
darrel in ND View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote darrel in ND Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Dec 2010 at 1:56pm
I put black bar-b-que  grille paint on my pick-up exhaust manifolds about 25 years ago, and it held up, Darrel
Dans 7080 View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dans 7080 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Dec 2010 at 2:18pm
I used bbq grill paint on the 7080 and 7060 pipes. I lightly sanded to get some of the loose rust off of them wiped them down with "prep-sol" and painted them. Pulling a ripper, disc, or whatever is behind them they are working. I have not had a bit of problem with the paint comming off at all.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic