This site is not affiliated with AGCO Inc., Duluth GA., Allis-Chalmers Co., Milwaukee, WI., or any surviving or related corporate entity. All trademarks remain the property of their respective owners. All information presented herein should be considered the result of an un-moderated public forum with no responsibility for its accuracy or usability assumed by the users and sponsors of this site or any corporate entity.
The Forum Parts and Services Unofficial Allis Store Tractor Shows Serial Numbers History
Forum Home Forum Home > Allis Chalmers > Farm Equipment
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

K/F Gear Drive ??

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote FREEDGUY Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: K/F Gear Drive ??
    Posted: 23 Nov 2021 at 5:56pm
There's a post on YT About a tangled-up gear shift lever on a K machine that has a "single" lever gear shift lever. There was a poster that said that he "modified"  multiple numbers of  machines through a dealership to stop this ailment.  
My question is, I recall our straight F  machine had a gear lever (straight lever) on top of the console and never had linkage issues. Did the guys modification have anything to do with the "2 stick" gear configuration of later versions of the "2 " series  machines ?
Sponsored Links

cwhit View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cwhit Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Nov 2021 at 7:16pm
I can still here my dad yelling at me for trying to shift our F too quick and putting the linkage in a bind. That was 35 years ago. Had to shut the machine down, get out, walk around to the right side of the machine and pull on the linkage rods to put it back in neutral. Thank God for hydrostat . Same thing would happen to the old 3 on the tree column shifter. The shifting dogs would get a little worn and do the same thing ( for those of us old enough to remember that). Just a guess that your poster had a fix for that problem. The rest of us just learned to shift slower.
tbran View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tbran Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Nov 2021 at 7:13pm
Yes there was a field campaign to switch the single shift lever to a 2 lever set up - earliest K2 F2 best I can remember..
When told "it's not the money,it's the principle", remember, it's always the money..
CrestonM View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CrestonM Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Nov 2021 at 10:42pm
My 860 cotton stripper has the same single shifter. The boot is gone from around the base, and I got it in a bind twice in the last 4 harvest seasons. The boot being gone allowed me to stick a plier handle in the slot and return the shifter that got moved into gear back into neutral. 
JimWenigOH View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JimWenigOH Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Nov 2021 at 7:20am
My K2 has the single shifter lever. I've been using the machine now for 9 seasons and each harvest seems to see fewer shifter linkage lock-ups. It is very aggravating when it happens though. I've adjusted it per the Manual which helped at the time and I'm sure being 48 years old with wear and tear doesn't help the situation either. I did buy the 2 lever set-up from a salvage yard, planning to do the switch. The thing I don't like about the 2 lever is that it doesn't use a rubber boot and therefore makes more unsealed openings into the cab, which means more dust and dirt inside. I completely rebuilt my cab and intend to keep it as clean and airtight as possible. As is the blower does an excellent job of pressurizing the cab along with the snorkel on the air intake. When I do get the linkages in a bind, I open the fuse door and pick up the 12" adjustable wrench laying on the floor, reach into the now painted gloss white compartment and put things into neutral, all while holding down on the clutch. It takes me under a minute to do this, depending if I have to move my lunch bucket etc. or not. It's a reminder for me to make clean, crisp shifts. I still fall into the trap though. Angry  My latest upgrade to keeping the cab clean was to buy the rubber boot from AGCO that goes around the base of the steering column which I'd seen on some of the later Gleaners at the salvage yard. Now I won't have to lay a rag around it to keep it sealed. Doubt I'll get around to doing the 2 lever deal.
FREEDGUY View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote FREEDGUY Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Nov 2021 at 5:57pm
Did the M/L2 series of the early '80's offer a gear drive tranny ?
tbran View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tbran Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Nov 2021 at 6:33pm
Yes, hydro and variable speed had the same tranny , sans reverse on the hydro.    Torque sensing variable speed drive - very reliable - mostly on wheat or grain machines - 95% of everything east of the Mississippi and the south was hydro. 

When told "it's not the money,it's the principle", remember, it's always the money..
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic