This site is not affiliated with AGCO Inc., Duluth GA., Allis-Chalmers Co., Milwaukee, WI., or any surviving or related corporate entity. All trademarks remain the property of their respective owners. All information presented herein should be considered the result of an un-moderated public forum with no responsibility for its accuracy or usability assumed by the users and sponsors of this site or any corporate entity.
The Forum Parts and Services Unofficial Allis Store Tractor Shows Serial Numbers History
Forum Home Forum Home > Other Topics > Shops, Barns, Varmints, and Trucks
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

it used to be....

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote shameless dude Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: it used to be....
    Posted: 21 Sep 2018 at 11:50pm
that when the govt spent all that money on rivers build'in dams, it was to protect us down stream from flooding! now they are the cause of the flooding! they are letting lotsa water out of the dam north of us, (at Yankton SD) and it is sposed to be at flood stage around Sunday here and by Tuesday it will be above flood stage! lots of crops will be lost this next week. farmers are running night and day to try to get the crops out, they really aren't ready yet (high moisture) and will need to be dried down (more expense). this will be the second time they have flooded everyone out down here! took out a lot of homes and out buildings the last time. and caused good farm ground to become sand dunes.   
Sponsored Links

darrel in ND View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote darrel in ND Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Sep 2018 at 8:05am
The whole dam thing (pun intended) gets complicated. From what I understand, the Missouri river used to flood at least once every year, and also have points in time when you could walk all of the way across it and not get your ankle wet. Now I wasn't there to witness this first hand, but I did have an old timer who was tell me that. The dams did a pretty good job of regulating that issue. Where the problem comes in, is that not enough water gets let out during the "off flooding season". At least that's my opinion. The reason being, is that the army corp of engineers catches hell no matter what they do. If they let too much out in a time span, and than it doesn't fill back up, the fishermen and the recreationalists fly off the handle. And if they stop releasing water when it gets low, to keep the fishermen happy, then down stream river navigation comes to a halt, and then they are in trouble again. Then if they keep enough water in to try to keep everyone happy, but then along comes some un-foreseen flood events (like the last time it flooded, Montana had three 10 inch rain events within a week) and flooding happens. Now don't get me wrong, I'm feeling bad for you're flooding, but up-stream here (yeah, North Dakotans are guilty of it) people need to learn to make a few sacrifices to prevent it. If the army corp had a crystal ball to predict the weather, then problem would be solved. Darrel
caledonian View Drop Down
Silver Level Access
Silver Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote caledonian Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Sep 2018 at 8:07am
They have to let water out because of heavy moisture all summer long. Also a lot of this run off is coming from rivers in South Dakota, Iowa & Nebraska that are below the dams. The corp of engineers has been running the river high all year. Lots of water that has to go someplace.
jaybmiller View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jaybmiller Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Sep 2018 at 8:12am
what gets me is the 'experts' can't read a weather report or radar screen and open up the floodgates BEFORE the new rain comes. Idiots up here flooded guys 'downstream' cause 'they' didn't open the gates until AFTER the rain came, duh.....
the local idiots got rid of solid concrete 100 year old dam cause the CEO didn't like it. NOW there's no fishing pools, endangered salamanders are ,well, extinct, and the town below gets flooded every year... oh yeah, they could have made 1.25 MILLION off hydroelectric power too..
idiots...
3 D-14s,A-C forklift, B-112
Kubota BX23S lil' TOOT( The Other Orange Tractor)

Never burn your bridges, unless you can walk on water
chaskaduo View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote chaskaduo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Sep 2018 at 8:20am
I have a suggestion as to where Shameless can point that gol dang snow machine this winter.
1938 B, 79 Dynamark 11/36 6spd, 95 Weed-Eater 16hp, 2010 Bolens 14hp
desertjoe View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote desertjoe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Sep 2018 at 9:13am
  Well,,,I will say this,,,it used to be the weather man could not predict weather events for chit,,,,but I am really impressed with The National Weather service such as in Hurricane Florence predicting,,, I mean,,,weeks before the thing even became a hurricane,,,they were predictin almost dang near where it was gonna hit and I was even more  impressed that they knew weeks before it hit,,of the massive amounts of rain this thing was gonna bring AND how slow it would be moving. I know lots of people were sayin "I believe several inches of rain,,but NOT "feet" of rain,,,,It's just so terrible about the loss of life that they were pretty dang correct,,,,,,,,
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic