This site is not affiliated with AGCO Inc., Duluth GA., Allis-Chalmers Co., Milwaukee, WI., or any surviving or related corporate entity. All trademarks remain the property of their respective owners. All information presented herein should be considered the result of an un-moderated public forum with no responsibility for its accuracy or usability assumed by the users and sponsors of this site or any corporate entity.
The Forum Parts and Services Unofficial Allis Store Tractor Shows Serial Numbers History
Forum Home Forum Home > Other Topics > Shops, Barns, Varmints, and Trucks
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

it turned out great!

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote shameless dude Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: it turned out great!
    Posted: 23 Jan 2020 at 11:09pm
made a veggie stew today...I started with a 16 quart stew pot, filled it with: 2 cans of diced tomatos, a cup of sliced porta bella mushrooms, a cup of diced celery, one large diced sweet onion, 1-1/2 cups of baby carrots cut in half, one diced zucchini, 1/2 clump of diced parsley, 1/2 head of diced cabbage, one large diced turnip, one can of spinach, 1/2 bag of sugar snap peas cut in half, one diced green bell pepper, one diced red bell pepper, one diced parsnip, 1/2 bunch of diced kale, 2 tsp of ground tyme, one large whole diced garlic, one clump of pulled apart broccoli head, 1 small can of sliced black olives, 10 green olives cut in half, I couldn't find any basil leaves at wally world or I would have added a few leaves, 10 diced asparagus spears, 3 large diced red taters (left the skin on), 1/2 head of pulled apart cauliflower, 1/2 tsp of "no salt", one can of chicky broth, 1/2 bottle of water. I didn't have a black pepper grinder so that wasn't added. everything here filled all but about one inch of that pot. I put the pot on the flat top grill at medium heat for about 5 hours. at the end of that 5 hours it was about 5 inches deep in the pot. I stirred all of it about every 1/2 hour or so. it turned out GREAT! my old lady...oooops….I mean the loving wife don't like veggies...but she was curious and tried this, and LIKED it! she even asked for a second bowl! i'll be freezing up any that is left over (if any) to enjoy later. i'm on my 4th bowl right now! I think it might also be somewhat healthy too! other than the "no salt" and "tyme", no other spices were used, we don't like hot stuff but you might and can add anything you want, but try it before adding anything more for any flavor.
Sponsored Links

chaskaduo View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote chaskaduo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Jan 2020 at 2:23am
I'd eat it. Thumbs Up
1938 B, 79 Dynamark 11/36 6spd, 95 Weed-Eater 16hp, 2010 Bolens 14hp
desertjoe View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote desertjoe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Jan 2020 at 6:53am

They's liable to have to close down the veggies dept at walmart til they can restock,,,,,you mustof run em out of veggies with this one,,,,,,,,WinkWink
 BUT,,,sure sounds ,,Yummie,,,!!!Clap
 The other day it was so dang cold here,,I made a Chickie soup,,,but was kinda Blah,,,no imagination,,,,I think I'ma gonna try your recipe but gonna have to wait for the monthly checks to go buy all thet stuff,,,,,Clap
Tbone95 View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tbone95 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Jan 2020 at 7:37am
4 bowls?  I know where you spent the night!!!
john(MI) View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote john(MI) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Jan 2020 at 8:05am
It does sound good BUT I don't think it can be called stew if it ain't got no meat!  At least not in my house, that would be vegetable soup, but it does sound good!Smile
D14, D17, 5020, 612H, CASE 446
chaskaduo View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote chaskaduo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Jan 2020 at 9:29am
I like to make stouwps, I'm sure you understand. Don't need crackers but toast is usually nice with em.

Edited by chaskaduo - 24 Jan 2020 at 9:30am
1938 B, 79 Dynamark 11/36 6spd, 95 Weed-Eater 16hp, 2010 Bolens 14hp
IBWD MIke View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote IBWD MIke Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Jan 2020 at 9:35am
Originally posted by john(MI) john(MI) wrote:

It does sound good BUT I don't think it can be called stew if it ain't got no meat!  At least not in my house, that would be vegetable soup, but it does sound good!Smile
Gotta have meat! And cheese too.
Tbone95 View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tbone95 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Jan 2020 at 9:59am
What are stewed tomatoes then?LOL
LouSWPA View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote LouSWPA Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Jan 2020 at 10:17am
some strange combinations there Dale, but it sounds good! maybe add a little crab meat or turtle meat, and some Louisiana Gold
I am still confident of this;
I will see the goodness of the Lord in the land of the living.
Wait for the Lord;
be strong and take heart and wait for the Lord. Ps 27
Dennis(IA) View Drop Down
Silver Level
Silver Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dennis(IA) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Jan 2020 at 11:51am
Sounds good! That reminds me I am going to make chicken stew this afternoon. In the slow cooker. I do cook the chicken in the pressure cooker first then the slow cooker with any vegtables I can find in the fridge.
tadams(OH) View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tadams(OH) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Jan 2020 at 12:44pm
Sounds good but that garlic would kill my wife she's allergic to it
CrestonM View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CrestonM Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Jan 2020 at 1:42pm
Sounds good! Copied it down, will have to try it out! 
Ray54 View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ray54 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Jan 2020 at 3:57pm
Wink You calling yourself a vegy person and no okra.spinach,or lima beans.Ermm You at least used that kale,the wonder food of all snowflakes.LOL

It's only stew if the spoon can stand up on its own. Anything less is chowder or Wink just soup. And if it ant got cheese or something to stiffen it up soup needs noodles and rice. But the older I got the better veggies in soup got. But now my system has been rebelling, at anything other than meat, potatoes and bread.Cry

But since you went to all the trouble I would try a small bowl. 

Cause of all the cold, I got my Wonderful to brew up a batch of chicken vegetable with rice and noodles on the side. Fill the bowl with rice and noodles and soup till they float. Wink  Had to keep my eye on her she didn't get into my share of the leftovers.LOL

Edited by Ray54 - 24 Jan 2020 at 4:00pm
shameless dude View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote shameless dude Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Jan 2020 at 10:14pm
the other stew I make is with meat, I cube chicky, pork and beef along with other veggies, that way you get some kinda meat in every spoon full. the old lady...ooooops….I mean the loving wife loves that stew too! all the meat goes in raw, it cooks up nice while simmering in the pot on the grill. I froze some of this stew in containers today to be enjoyed in the near future, but kept some out in the fridge. I ate more today at lunch. I did cinnamon French toast/sausage/eggs on the grill tonight for supper.
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote shameless dude Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Jan 2020 at 10:16pm
T-Bone...I have noticed a few extra farts today...but no extra trips to the potty!
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote shameless dude Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Jan 2020 at 10:18pm
Joe...what ever I don't put in the stews, I freeze in them vaccum bags for use later, that way nothing is wasted!
Ted J View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ted J Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Jan 2020 at 9:07pm
Dale do you freeze your stuff first and then vacuum pack it?  Or just get most of the air out and then seal?

And no Bay leaf??  Can't have stew without a bay leaf!!  All those veggies just HAVE to make a LOT of gas..... I didn't see any mention of beans at all??  Black and chili hot would be good in there!!

I LOVE my Insty-Pot (sp?).  You can put in frozen anything and be eating in an hour at the most!!  LOVE IT!!  It's a modern day pressure cooker.
"Allis-Express"
19?? WC / 1941 C / 1952 CA / 1956 WD45 / 1957 WD45 / 1958 D-17
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote shameless dude Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Jan 2020 at 2:52am
I couldn't find some ingredients I wanted, so had to make due. we also have an insta-pot, the old lady...oooops...I mean the loving wife uses it sometimes when i'm not cooking. I love cooking, and love making different things, some are flops, most are not. this was also part of the reason for the new cook shack. when i'm prepping meals, I do make a mess, this way it's outside of the house kitchen and less getting yelled at. I also love the prep work it takes. some are intensive, some not. I have some very sharp and expensive knives, and this way I can keep them out there and use them for what they were intended for and not inside cutting Lord knows what or using them for pry bars or screw drivers!
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote shameless dude Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Jan 2020 at 3:00am
oh...and on the greens and other stuff, I just put it in bags, label it, and vacuum them down. the old lady says it won't work, but it always has for me. the vacuum system is kinda expensive, but I usually buy in bulk and freeze a lot of it. it's nice to know I have the ingrediants in the freezer for about anything I wanna cook up at any given time. really...any saving I get by buying in bulk is usually spent on the bags I use for freezing, sometimes it's a savings...money wise, most of the time not, but it's convenience. if any of ya'll do this, make sure to label and date it on the bag. I use a scripto pen.
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote shameless dude Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Jan 2020 at 3:17am
I made up my 3 meat stew Saturday, chicky/pork/beef, plus most all the veggies I put in the freezer the day before from doing my veggie stew. used the same 16 quart pot. the old lady...ooooops….I mean the loving wife really liked this stew too! oh...and it's the same stew that ole Darrel up north passed up when he was down here. Darrel...you dun missed out on sum again! prolly be reminded when sum "pretty" shows up? (poke,poke)
Ted J View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ted J Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Jan 2020 at 11:54pm
I use mine ALOT.  It is a FoodSaver FM2100 Vacuum Sealer and you can get them refurbished on epay for $40 and free shipping.  They're $140 normal.
Eating chips or anything like that in that kind of bag?  These will seal that bag right up with no problem if you don't want to eat the whole bag.
There are SO many things I use it for and it's too bad, I don't have any freezer space right now.  I've GOTTA start using that stuff up and making room!
You can't believe how long you can put this stuff in the freezer for.  I've had stuff that was vacuum packed for over 3 years and it's like you just put it in the freezer.
WELL WORTH THE MONEY!  Buy things on sale and save money!
"Allis-Express"
19?? WC / 1941 C / 1952 CA / 1956 WD45 / 1957 WD45 / 1958 D-17
darrel in ND View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote darrel in ND Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Jan 2020 at 7:11am
I suppose that if I came to visit you, I'd have to eat it. Or else I would come home to 10 feet of snow! Darrel
tadams(OH) View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tadams(OH) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Jan 2020 at 2:15pm
Darrel he'd probably send the snow so you couldn't come and eat it so he'd have more for himself
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote shameless dude Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Jan 2020 at 3:09am
funny....how some folks learn things so fast!
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic