This site is not affiliated with AGCO Inc., Duluth GA., Allis-Chalmers Co., Milwaukee, WI., or any surviving or related corporate entity. All trademarks remain the property of their respective owners. All information presented herein should be considered the result of an un-moderated public forum with no responsibility for its accuracy or usability assumed by the users and sponsors of this site or any corporate entity.
The Forum Parts and Services Unofficial Allis Store Tractor Shows Serial Numbers History
Forum Home Forum Home > Allis Chalmers > Construction and other equipment
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Issues with the HD5B grading

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dharless Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Issues with the HD5B grading
    Posted: 30 Oct 2019 at 7:48pm
So I am having a little trouble with the dozer. I'm working on grading a building pad for a friend. The issues I'm having is 1 it either wants to dig and bury itself or skim across the top like it's on concrete. And 2 when it does grab and start peeling the top layer off the right side digs deeper than the left but it's on the lower side of the slight decline. Any advice would be greatly appreciated. Hopefully we dont have anymore breakdowns. Already replaced all the coolant hoses and the radiator. Thanks
Sponsored Links

CAL(KS) View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CAL(KS) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Oct 2019 at 7:55am
that sounds like cutting edges may need replaced and you need more practice.  no offense,  it does take some skill to run these old things well.  any pictures of machine or work area?

Edited by CAL(KS) - 31 Oct 2019 at 7:56am
Me -C,U,UC,WC,WD45,190XT,TL-12,145T,HD6G,HD16,HD20

Dad- WD, D17D, D19D, RT100A, 7020, 7080,7580, 2-8550's, 2-S77, HD15
Dharless View Drop Down
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dharless Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Oct 2019 at 8:38am
I wont argue I need more practice. I've done very little work with this machine. I'm normally a hoe operator but I didnt want to see this old machine go to scrap. My intention is to do a complete restoration on it. I am on my way to the jobsite now
. I'll have pictures this afternoon.
Jim.ME View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jim.ME Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Oct 2019 at 9:10am
Other than practice and the fact that small short track machines are more prone to follow dips and crowns, how tight are the frame and blade connections? You may need to adjust the side to side tilt of the blade to get level across the machine. Do the hydraulics hold or drift? How quick is hydraulic response?
Dharless View Drop Down
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dharless Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Oct 2019 at 10:08am
All the joints are loose. Hydraulic works pretty good hold where I put them. I'm working on building a 60x50 building pad. Its currently 25 degrees Fahrenheit in north east Iowa and shes being crabby and dont want to start. I know this is normal. I'm working on figuring out how to resize my pictures to upload them from my phone. I may just have to put a link to them on Facebook or something.
Dharless View Drop Down
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dharless Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Nov 2019 at 6:44pm
Well it took all week but I finally got the dozer cooling system squared away and managed to push some dirt. The biggest issue I have now is all my mount pins/bolts are very loose. Anyone have any suggestions to tighten them up. I've looked into line boring them but cant find anyone that goes small enough. I think the bolts are 1 inch.
DiyDave View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DiyDave Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Nov 2019 at 8:33pm
You might have to rig up your own line borer...Wink

[TUBE]YBIpajIa2cQ[/TUBE]
Source: Babylon Bee. Sponsored by BRAWNDO, its got what you need!
Coke-in-MN View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Coke-in-MN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Nov 2019 at 8:37am
Found with the HD5B I had trying to grade in hard packed ground was a real chore - - either dug in or floated over ground . As the dozer frame is oscilating on a cross spring it made the matter worse . Found cutting then backdragging with blade worked rather than trying to cut to a level grade. 
 i could do better leveling with my HD5G than the B -- smaller area in front of bucket and had more control of bucket than blade - also less HP needed to move so no loss of power to ground. 
 Now with my FD5 dozer with 6 way blade and 70+ HP instead of 48 - along with power shift - grading and holding blade angles - no problem .
  Might try a couple ripper shanks on blade to disturb ground before blading it level .
Faith isn't a jump in the dark. It is a walk in the light. Faith is not guessing; it is knowing something.
"Challenges are what make life interesting; overcoming them is what makes life meaningful."
Ages Cat View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ages Cat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Nov 2019 at 2:09pm
Having owned several small dozers, the lesson learned is that a tractor with a longer undercarriage, and heavier (12-14,000) # operating weight works. Lighter tractors with shorter undercarriges usually leave something to be desired.

Curt Anderson
HD3, HD5B, HD6E, HD6AG,HD6B dozer, I-400, 615, 616,(2) 620, 720, ACP25 lift truck, 1956 D Special Grader, AC 540 loader, AC 655 crawler loader, AC #84 plow, Simplicity lawn tractors.
Ian Beale View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ian Beale Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Nov 2019 at 3:35pm
Remember that claimed global warming interaction between rising CO2 levels and water vapour that is going to singe us to a crisp, known as "positive forcing"?

A dozer doing grading is the only example of one of those you're likely to meet IMO.

The cutting edge being in front of the tracks means any undulation that the tracks run over is magnified at the blade, and then even more if you haven't counteracted that before the tracks meet it.  IIRC there is an expression like "dozer do-woopsies"

Which is why graders have the cutting edge between axles on a long wheelbase

Not helped by small dozers, short tracks, sloppy linkages, slow hydraulics etc it seems.

Seems to be easier with more horsepower where you can just set the blade and barge through.

Edited by Ian Beale - 03 Nov 2019 at 3:36pm
dadsdozerhd5b View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dadsdozerhd5b Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Nov 2019 at 6:44pm
TAKE A PIC OF THE TYPE OF BLADE, SIDE ARMS, CUTTING EDGE AND THE ANGLE OF THE BLADE TO THE ARMS. DIFFERENT TYPES OF BLADES CAN BE SET UP TO GRADE OR CUT, TILT TO CUT ONE SIDE OR THE OTHER. THESE OLD ONES DONT HAVE ANGLE UNFORTUNATELY. I SET MINE UP WITH A CYLINDER ON ONE SIDE TO TILT THE BLADE AND A 3 POINT TOP LINK ON THE OTHER SIDE TO ADJUST THE ANGLE OF THE BLADE TO THE GROUND. ALLOWS CUTS OR GRADING BETTER. ALSO ALLOWS THE TILT FROM THE OPERATOR SEAT. A WHOLE LOT FASTER THAN GETTING OFF AND ADJUSTING.
HD5B, HD5G, (2) FARMALL A's, CUB. DO IT RIGHT THE FIRST TIME, IGNORE THE LAUGHTER. FLANNEL IS ALWAYS IN STYLE.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic