This site is not affiliated with AGCO Inc., Duluth GA., Allis-Chalmers Co., Milwaukee, WI., or any surviving or related corporate entity. All trademarks remain the property of their respective owners. All information presented herein should be considered the result of an un-moderated public forum with no responsibility for its accuracy or usability assumed by the users and sponsors of this site or any corporate entity.
The Forum Parts and Services Unofficial Allis Store Tractor Shows Serial Numbers History
Forum Home Forum Home > Other Topics > Shops, Barns, Varmints, and Trucks
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

ISO Shop guide(s)

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ken McGregor Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: ISO Shop guide(s)
    Posted: 15 Mar 2023 at 4:24pm
I am looking at my drill press and thinking that I know that the harder the metal, the slower I need to run my drill RPMs BUT i don't know if there is a recognized range of RPMs depending on size of twist drill AND material to be drilled (e.g. steel vs. brass vs hardwoods vs. softwoods. I think you all understand but I am trying to assess the problem with a table(s) of some sort for guidance. I know the knowledge base here can help me.
regards,
Ken McGregor
Sponsored Links

thendrix View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote thendrix Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Mar 2023 at 4:43pm
The formula to figure rpm for milling/drilling is SF x 3.82 / diameter of tool=RPM

SF stands for surface feet. For steel you can usually use between 30 and 60 SF depending on the alloy/carbon content. 1018, mild steel, cold roll, etc 50 SF should get you started. 4130, 4140, stainless, etc err more to the 35 and 40 side. Softer materials you go up in SF. For example, aluminum we figured at 200 SF. This is usually a good place to start then adjust to what you see or feel. That's how I learned it
"Farming is a business that makes a Las Vegas craps table look like a regular paycheck" Ronald Reagan
DiyDave View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DiyDave Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Mar 2023 at 5:25pm
Numerous books and pocket references on this, or just use google like I did to find this:

HTH!Wink
Source: Babylon Bee. Sponsored by BRAWNDO, its got what you need!
steve(ill) View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote steve(ill) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Mar 2023 at 5:30pm
The biggest problem is going TOO FAST.... not too slow... I have set my drill at 400 RPM and use it to drill EVERYTHING from 1/8 inch to  3/4 inch in wood / steel / brass... Have not moved the belt speed in 40 years...

Like them all, but love the "B"s.
Ken McGregor View Drop Down
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ken McGregor Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Mar 2023 at 5:00pm
I knew the forum folks would come through for me (and maybe others who wonder about such things) Thanks so much for the info
regards,
Ken McGregor
SteveM C/IL View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SteveM C/IL Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Mar 2023 at 7:28am
In high school shop we had a feed and speed chart

Edited by SteveM C/IL - 17 Mar 2023 at 7:28am
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic