This site is not affiliated with AGCO Inc., Duluth GA., Allis-Chalmers Co., Milwaukee, WI., or any surviving or related corporate entity. All trademarks remain the property of their respective owners. All information presented herein should be considered the result of an un-moderated public forum with no responsibility for its accuracy or usability assumed by the users and sponsors of this site or any corporate entity.
The Forum Parts and Services Unofficial Allis Store Tractor Shows Serial Numbers History
Forum Home Forum Home > Allis Chalmers > Farm Equipment
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Is Electronic Ignition Conversion a Good Idea?

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rhartwick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Is Electronic Ignition Conversion a Good Idea?
    Posted: 04 May 2011 at 6:17pm
Is converting my D17 IV (12V - positive ground) to electronic ignition a good idea?  How do they handle the advance curve?  Do they tend to be finicky in operation?  Also, would I need a new coil, or would the stock 12V coil work ok - and what about ballast resistors? 

The old points/condensor system works ok, but this is one area (like oils) where it seems more modern technology actually is better.  I was wondering what everyones' experience has been, and if there are certain brands that are trouble, etc.

Sponsored Links

Gary in da UP View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gary in da UP Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 May 2011 at 6:20pm
I like these....
darrel in ND View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote darrel in ND Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 May 2011 at 7:04pm
I converted my series II D 17 and my 190 gas both to electronic and am liking it alot. Just a matter of time before I have all of my gas tractors converted to it. Darrel
GregLawlerMinn View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GregLawlerMinn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 May 2011 at 7:49pm
When it is time for points I convert. I like the Pertronix unit (it is available in 12V negative; or 12V positive grounding. Have both units and both kinds work fine. Can use your existing 12V coil (if it is internally resisted) with no difficulty. An external ballast resistor in-line will allow one to use the 6V coil with the 12V ignition (altho the reliability of the external resistor is not too good). Literature says one can open up the plug gap to 0.040-0.045 if change out the coil to a higher voltage one (I run my plugs at 0.035 with the stock coil. Engines seem to start and run better with the EI.
What this country needs is more unemployed politicians-and lawyers.
Currently have: 1 D14 and a D15S2.
With new owners: 2Bs,9CAs,1WD,2 D12s,5D14s,3D15S2s, 2D17SIVs,D17D,1D19D;1 Unstyled WC
Brian Jasper co. Ia View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Brian Jasper co. Ia Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 May 2011 at 9:14pm
I have both my gas tractors converted to the Pertronix units. You have to follow the directions and make sure the primary coil resistance is correct. Seems like it's supposed to be 3-4 ohms. Too low and it will blow the brains out of the module. I got the matching Flamethrower coil to go with both of mine to ensure compatibility.
"Any man who thinks he can be happy and prosperous by letting the government take care of him better take a closer look at the American Indian." Henry Ford
DSeries4 View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DSeries4 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 May 2011 at 9:19pm
I've got a Petronix on my 17 IV and think it's great.
'49 G, '54 WD45, '55 CA, '56 WD45D, '57 WD45, '58 D14, '59 D14, '60 D14, '61 D15D, '66 D15II, '66 D21II, '67 D17IV, '67 D17IVD, '67 190XTD, '73 620, '76 185, '77 175, '84 8030, '85 6080
Steve in NJ View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Steve in NJ Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 May 2011 at 3:32pm
We carry the Pertronix kits in stock along with choice of coils. They work great!
Steve@B&B
dave63 View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dave63 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 May 2011 at 5:29pm

Dad use to tie in and external coil to magnetos to replace the mag. coil.

Would it work to install an external coil and electronic ignition to a mag. ?
the Mag. would act as a distributer only. Has any body done this?
The universal answer to all questions is yes, how much do you want to spend?
Brian Jasper co. Ia View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Brian Jasper co. Ia Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 May 2011 at 5:57pm
I don't think the unit will fit inside the mag body. I've seen what you describe done.
"Any man who thinks he can be happy and prosperous by letting the government take care of him better take a closer look at the American Indian." Henry Ford
mlpankey View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mlpankey Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 May 2011 at 8:47pm
i think a 4 pin hei module could posibly be used to convert a mag to a hei
j.w.freck View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote j.w.freck Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 May 2011 at 9:10pm
have every one of my 45,s converted to the petronix...love them,,got mine from jim at ok tractor in mounds okla...
WD45 View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote WD45 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 May 2011 at 9:23pm

Changed to electronic on I-60 fork lift in 2005 after purchasing from Steve at the GOTO in Union Grove .

Fred Dunlop, G,B,CA, WC,WF, 3 WD45`s,gas, diesel and LP,U,D10 series III, D12,D14,D15 SERIES II,D17 Series IV in Gas and Diesel ,D19 GAS and D21,170 185,210 ,220 an I-600 8070 fwd, 716H and 1920H
mlpankey View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mlpankey Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 May 2011 at 9:24am
the ignitor 3 is basically the hei module and will work with 4 and 6 cylinder engines . the rev limiter function will not operate correctly if used on anything other than a v8 though.
DaveKamp View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DaveKamp Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 May 2011 at 9:32am
OP mentioned the advance curve-

When you install a Pertronix kit, the advance curve doesn't change- it's still using the mechanical advance located in the distributor base.  All you're really doing is removing the points and condenser, and replacing them functionally with a solid-state magnetic trigger system.

I have a Pertronix kit on my D17 Series 1, as well as on a 19' 1954 Century Resorter runabout.  Love it.

Up side-  no points... no condenser, so no way they'll ever get 'marginal' or fail.  Down side, is that they CAN fail, and when they do, you'll hafta replace the whole unit.  Up-side is that if you have the original points and condenser, you can drop those back in and be operational... or if you have a spare unit, drop it in with no worries (timing won't be affected) and continue on.

Down side, is that if they fail, they're another hundred bucks or so, and you can kill 'em by accidentally hooking 'em up backwards.

mlpankey View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mlpankey Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 May 2011 at 4:53pm
Originally posted by DaveKamp DaveKamp wrote:

OP mentioned the advance curve-

When you install a Pertronix kit, the advance curve doesn't change- it's still using the mechanical advance located in the distributor base.  All you're really doing is removing the points and condenser, and replacing them functionally with a solid-state magnetic trigger system.

I have a Pertronix kit on my D17 Series 1, as well as on a 19' 1954 Century Resorter runabout.  Love it.

Up side-  no points... no condenser, so no way they'll ever get 'marginal' or fail.  Down side, is that they CAN fail, and when they do, you'll hafta replace the whole unit.  Up-side is that if you have the original points and condenser, you can drop those back in and be operational... or if you have a spare unit, drop it in with no worries (timing won't be affected) and continue on.

Down side, is that if they fail, they're another hundred bucks or so, and you can kill 'em by accidentally hooking 'em up backwards.

or not cutting the voltage down enough when using alow resistance high energy race type coil
TedBuiskerN.IL. View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TedBuiskerN.IL. Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 May 2011 at 5:04pm
How well do the 6 volt Pos. ground units work?  I've heard to avoid the 6 volt units.
Most problems can be solved with the proper application of high explosives.
jaybmiller View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jaybmiller Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 May 2011 at 5:16pm
This topic is like  'which is better Ford or Chevy' ! Both my D-14s and the Gleaner A  are 50+ years old and have points. Cheap, reliable,easy to fix. Yes, electronic ignitions may work better(if setup correctly), but as others have said, when the magic smoke comes out it's $100 or more to fix.That's an expensive spare part to have on the shelf compared to $10 set of points.You best have a spare because the one in the tractor will fail ,late Saturday afternoon  ,1/3 way through haying or some other time sensistive task.
3 D-14s,A-C forklift, B-112
Kubota BX23S lil' TOOT( The Other Orange Tractor)

Never burn your bridges, unless you can walk on water
Ryan Renko View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ryan Renko Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 May 2011 at 7:10pm
I kinda agree with jaybmiller. Our wd starts so fast you cant push the choke in fast enough!! She dont like much choke!! It runs better than a top on points and a condenser. Ryan
Steve in NJ View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Steve in NJ Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 May 2011 at 8:40pm
The 6V Pertronix units work just as nice as the 12V version. Have a 6V unit in my B for probably going on 9 years now. Never had a problem. Starts right up everytime. There is a little delay on the 6V version mainly because you need 4V at the module in order for it to fire. When cranking the engine, most of the power in the 6V system is directed to the starter motor. When you let go of the starter rod, that split second sends 6V's to the module and lights the motor. Normal characteristic on the 6V versions. Doesn't hurt a thing.
One thing you do have to be aware of with any E.I., is if you're charging the Battery, either disconnect the Battery from the Tractor, or take it out of the Tractor BEFORE you hook your charger up. If the key switch is left on, hooking a charger to the Battery without disconnecting the Battery post(s) can spike the electronic Ignition's module. It will now be toast.... You just have to be careful around it and use common sence....
Steve@B&B
WD45 View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote WD45 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 May 2011 at 9:37pm
I installed electroninc ignition in our WD45 gas - pos ground 6 volt and it did not start so switched back to regulat points and condensor. Purchased from Steve. 
Fred Dunlop, G,B,CA, WC,WF, 3 WD45`s,gas, diesel and LP,U,D10 series III, D12,D14,D15 SERIES II,D17 Series IV in Gas and Diesel ,D19 GAS and D21,170 185,210 ,220 an I-600 8070 fwd, 716H and 1920H
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic