This site is not affiliated with AGCO Inc., Duluth GA., Allis-Chalmers Co., Milwaukee, WI., or any surviving or related corporate entity. All trademarks remain the property of their respective owners. All information presented herein should be considered the result of an un-moderated public forum with no responsibility for its accuracy or usability assumed by the users and sponsors of this site or any corporate entity.
The Forum Parts and Services Unofficial Allis Store Tractor Shows Serial Numbers History
Forum Home Forum Home > Other Topics > Shops, Barns, Varmints, and Trucks
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Iowa storms.

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mdm1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Iowa storms.
    Posted: 10 Aug 2020 at 6:14pm
I know there are folks on here from Iowa. My daughter and her family live in Pleasant Hill. They had 75+ mph winds in their area. Lost a bunch of shingles off of their house, trees down, power out but everyone is save. We were just there this weekend. Hope everyone is O.K.
Everything is impossible until someone does it! WD45-trip loader 1947 c w/woods belly mower, 1939 B, #3 sickle mower 1944 B, 2 1948 G's. Misc other equipment that my wife calls JUNK!
Sponsored Links

DougG View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DougG Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Aug 2020 at 7:09pm
Yeah seen pics on FB of corn fields layed flat, grain bins mangled, trucks truned over by wind - no matter what kind of technology we have now a days Mother Nature will show up and humble us 
DMiller View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DMiller Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Aug 2020 at 7:43pm
She does have a nasty side she shows often enough.
Ted J View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ted J Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Aug 2020 at 8:22pm
Got hit really bad up at the farm on Sat**day evening.  Power out.  A beautiful Sugar Maple I've been doctoring for about 20 some years got split about 8 feet off the ground.  Was a beauty of a shade tree.  The grandkids all played under it.  Lots of other ones are gonna be firewood too.  Got 2.13" of rain in about 20 minutes.  It was probably more than that, but it was flyin sideways so it didn't go into the gauge.  DANDY storm!
"Allis-Express"
19?? WC / 1941 C / 1952 CA / 1956 WD45 / 1957 WD45 / 1958 D-17
HD6GTOM View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote HD6GTOM Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Aug 2020 at 9:13pm
We had to go to Perry Iowa this morning. Picked up a load in the pickup and headed back south. It was raining and blowing so hard you could just see 3 of the white stripes in the center of the pavement. We came thru Adel, big trees down everywhere. Power lines crossed up, down etc. Side streets were closed. Corn laying flat on the ground. Seemed most of the damage was just north of I80. We got under I80 at Desoto and the tree damage was almost non existent. North of I80 it poured down rain.   At home we had wind but just 1/4 " of rain. Sweet corn just tasseled out good is laying flat. I worked the farmers market in Creston tonight. It was a beautiful afternoon to do a market. Just a few sticks in the park.

Edited by HD6GTOM - 10 Aug 2020 at 9:14pm
plummerscarin View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote plummerscarin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Aug 2020 at 9:37pm
Hammered hard near Cedar Rapids. Wind break is toast. We had nice shade trees. Not much left. Neighbors all around lost buildings, bins, and contents inside. I consider myself lucky to have only some shingles, two broken windows and minor damage to siding on two sheds. Although I am kinda bummed the new wagon I got last year is upside down. Power may be out several days.
VAfarmboy View Drop Down
Silver Level
Silver Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote VAfarmboy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Aug 2020 at 10:35pm
I was just watching the 11:00 news here in Virginia and they mentioned those storms out in the midwest. Said it was a derecho. 
shameless dude View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote shameless dude Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Aug 2020 at 12:41am
that was the same storm that passed over me here, brief real heavy rain for about 4-5 minutes, some wind, just a few small branches down, did hafta go retrieve our lawn chair cushons outta the ditch, seems it really picked up steam after passing us here. glad everyone is o-k
Sugarmaker View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sugarmaker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Aug 2020 at 5:29am
Yikes thanks for the warning. Coming our way I guess? Will try to hatten down the batches!
Regards,
 Chris
D17 1958 (NFE), WD45 1954 (NFE), WD 1952 (NFE), WD 1950 (WFE), Allis F-40 forklift, Allis CA, Allis D14, Ford Jubilee, Many IH Cub Cadets, 32 Ford Dump, 65 Comet.
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote plummerscarin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Aug 2020 at 6:51am
Derecho definition:
Sustained winds of at least 58mph and damage path 250-400 miles. Winds here clocked 90 and went on for some 45 minutes. Similar to hurricane
DMiller View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote DMiller Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Aug 2020 at 6:54am
Have had a couple toad strangling with high wind storms here but no way as near as bad as IA.  Lost a few Walnut limbs last few days, neighbor had lightning strike took out well pump, but still not as bad as north.
tadams(OH) View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tadams(OH) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Aug 2020 at 1:54pm
They are showing it drying up and splitting here in Ohio and most going south of us here in north central Ohio. No rain here till the weekend, the way they keep changing it it we won't get any rain
IBWD MIke View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote IBWD MIke Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Aug 2020 at 2:43pm
Just got power back couple of hours ago! Longest I've ever been out, have pics I'll post when I get caught up little. Man was it ugly! Pretty sure my corn is a total loss, probably have to disc it under.
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote plummerscarin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Aug 2020 at 10:26pm
Power back on for us today as well. Lots of people in town still in the dark. Will be working overtime as my department is going house to house to assess building damage for FEMA reports.
shameless dude View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote shameless dude Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Aug 2020 at 12:25am
news says damaged crops covered 10,000,000 acres in IA. thats 15,625 sections at 640 acres per. wonder if the prices will go up now? prolly not, some schmuck behind a desk in chitago will say they have a bumper crop!
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic