This site is not affiliated with AGCO Inc., Duluth GA., Allis-Chalmers Co., Milwaukee, WI., or any surviving or related corporate entity. All trademarks remain the property of their respective owners. All information presented herein should be considered the result of an un-moderated public forum with no responsibility for its accuracy or usability assumed by the users and sponsors of this site or any corporate entity.
The Forum Parts and Services Unofficial Allis Store Tractor Shows Serial Numbers History
Forum Home Forum Home > Other Topics > Shops, Barns, Varmints, and Trucks
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Interesting Truck

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ranse Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Interesting Truck
    Posted: 08 Apr 2019 at 10:07am
I've been eyeing this truck for the longest. It's sitting at a salvage yard in Cookeville, TN, perhaps that's were it needs to stay. I see it every time I go to Cookeville to get parts. For some reason I like this truck. I think the reason is it has the ugliest hood design I think Chevy ever made. I'd love to restore this thing good enough to haul tractors to tractor shows. It's different, I believe it would be an eye catcher. I had to check it out the other day. Unbelievably, they're asking $2,000. The guy won't budge, he says it's a rare truck

It's just a hull. No motor, transmission, drive shaft, or radiator. The front tires are also rotted, rears may be useable.

Body pretty decent, some rust holes here and there. The missing sheet metal pieces are in the cab. It says Viking on it. I think it once had some kind of dump bed on it.

Inside looks pretty good. Doors shut solid, and windows still roll up and down.

Short frame, but I like that because I would want to use it to pull a goose neck. It has a huge rear end. It should pull, but I'm not sure if it would be compatible with a modern engine and transmission.

This truck is just a pipe dream I guess. I really don't have the know how to fix her up like I would want. It would probably have to be modernized some to be road worthy. I'm not even sure what kind of engine to use. My first guess is a 350 Chevy with a granny 4 speed. It would probably have to be modified regardless what you used. Does anyone know what kind of motor this truck may originally had? I'd just like to hear some ballpark opinions on what it would take to get this truck back on the road, and maybe the cost. Starting at 2 grand, I'm guessing at least 10. Thanks   
Sponsored Links

farmboy520 View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote farmboy520 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Apr 2019 at 11:15am
We had a GMC that was that body style. We had a grain body on it. If I remember right, I think it had a 305 V6.
On the farm: Agco Allis 9695, 7060, 7010, R66, Farmall H, and Farmall F20 (Great Grandpa's)
allisrutledge View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote allisrutledge Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Apr 2019 at 11:36am

This is my 63 with 67000 miles. 292 6cyl. Works great around close. If I were building a hauler ,the cab is all that would be original and as fat as I am I don't think I'd use this one. Used to be some guyes down your way that towed with 2 old trucks, Macks maybe, had all allis chalmers and were a show going down the road. Was it Yates? Man my memory is bad....
Allis Chalmers still exist in my mind and barns
weiner View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote weiner Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Apr 2019 at 11:47am
Back in the day I delivered chicken and cow feed with a 2 ton GMC truck with a V6,  it run good,  had lots of power, amazing gas mileage,  but once a year we had to do a valve job on it.  $2000 sounds like a lot of money,  but it would sure be an unusual truck.  As far as it would probably have to be modernized some to be road worthy,  yes for safety sake,  but back then there were no emissions so I don`t think the government could make you put it on.  If by some reason you decided that you didn`t like it,  some drag racer would like it to pull their race car to the track.  Maybe some one right here on this site would be interested. I would think any Chevy engine and 4 speed tranny would sit in there without any problem. 

Edited by weiner - 08 Apr 2019 at 11:53am
Real heros wear dogtags, not capes.
DMiller View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DMiller Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Apr 2019 at 12:25pm
All Chevrolet mounts and bell housings engine to engine all sizes were the same until got into the heavy trucks, heavier than these. Car Pickup or up to 2 1/2 ton truck would interchange like matched puzzle pieces.
Dakota Dave View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dakota Dave Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Apr 2019 at 12:48pm
Best would be a 350 with a 700r4. update the brakes and add power steering. a sm465 would bot in and the shifter would come up thru the same hole but you wouldn't have an overdrive or the tranny mounted E brake. so you'd need to fill the brake hole in the tunnel anyway. the originals were non syncro in 1st Rev and 2nd. if you go with a 87 to 95 you would get a TBI instead of a carb they run much better and are easy to setup.
AndyT GA View Drop Down
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote AndyT GA Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Apr 2019 at 2:10pm
My vote would be a 301 or 426 turbo diesel and a 5 speed behind it.  That way Allis pulls Allis to the shows.  Torch and a welder anything will fit.
Sugarmaker View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sugarmaker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Apr 2019 at 3:57pm
Ranse,
 I have similar problems from time to time. If this is something you want get it. The intial cost is about what I would expect for what i see. Thanks for the pictures. Cant help you on the drive line. Get the truck the rest will fall into place. Hey its fishing season. Get up here!
Regards,
 Chris
D17 1958 (NFE), WD45 1954 (NFE), WD 1952 (NFE), WD 1950 (WFE), Allis F-40 forklift, Allis CA, Allis D14, Ford Jubilee, Many IH Cub Cadets, 32 Ford Dump, 65 Comet.
Hubert (Ga)engine7 View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hubert (Ga)engine7 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Apr 2019 at 4:46pm
Originally posted by AndyT GA AndyT GA wrote:

My vote would be a 301 or 426 turbo diesel and a 5 speed behind it.  That way Allis pulls Allis to the shows.  Torch and a welder anything will fit.

X2. Great idea, Andy. Think the 292 six was one engine option for it, plenty of torque but not much top end. I hauled logs with a 1962 with that engine,  4 spd, 2 spd rear end. IRR it has a torsion bar on the front instead of leaf springs. Empty the 2 V8 Fords would leave it behind but with a load it would walk away from either one of them.
Just an old country boy saved by the grace of God.
thendrix View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote thendrix Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Apr 2019 at 6:52pm
There was something about the Viking that was special but I don't remember what. Maybe a bigger engine or something? Pretty sure it was more than a trim package

Edited by thendrix - 08 Apr 2019 at 6:53pm
"Farming is a business that makes a Las Vegas craps table look like a regular paycheck" Ronald Reagan
AC7060IL View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AC7060IL Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Apr 2019 at 7:15pm
I favor your idea. I own a 66’ C60, 327, 4speed, 2speed rearend. Love it.
Worse part about it is the old “Widow Maker” two piece 20” wheel rims. They’re outlawed now, so no tire shop will fix them. Tire shop recommended that I get a set of the new 19.5” truck wheels to comply. Cost of wheels was more than value of truck then. That was about 12 years ago. May want to check into it before you get in deep?
I also like the idea of the AC 301 coupled to 4 speed. Good luck.
Ranse View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ranse Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Apr 2019 at 7:30pm
Originally posted by thendrix thendrix wrote:

There was something about the Viking that was special but I don't remember what. Maybe a bigger engine or something? Pretty sure it was more than a trim package

I first thought this was just a 2 ton truck. The guy told me it's a rare Viking. I googled Viking trucks. I think they were dump trucks. If you look closely at my last pic, you can see a box between the frame rails. This box had a short PTO shaft hanging from it. I'm just guessing, I really didn't find out much. Maybe someone else knows more.

The wife is on board with me getting this truck. My biggest worry is I would be in over my head. $2000 I think is a lot for this truck if it was drivable. If I had to bail on it, I'm 100% certain I would lose money on it.

This truck is at a salvage yard, were people take scrap metal. I bet someone brought it in and sold it for scrap, now he's trying to get two grand.
JoeO(C-MO) View Drop Down
Silver Level
Silver Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JoeO(C-MO) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Apr 2019 at 7:50pm
We had a GMC Pickup. a V6 engine, 4 speed.

The bigger engine was a V12, twice as long.

The pickup V6 would really run, slow on getting RPM's.
D10 III, D15 II 3 pt, D15 II SC, 170 Gas w/shuttle, 175 Diesel UI ROPS, 185 w ROPS. AC 653 w/6 way blade, ROPS
AC 615 Ind. WD45 running/Parts.
thendrix View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote thendrix Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Apr 2019 at 8:07pm
Originally posted by Ranse Ranse wrote:

Originally posted by thendrix thendrix wrote:

I first thought this was just a 2 ton truck. The guy told me it's a rare Viking. I googled Viking trucks. I think they were dump trucks. If you look closely at my last pic, you can see a box between the frame rails. This box had a short PTO shaft hanging from it. I'm just guessing, I really didn't find out much. Maybe someone else knows more.

The wife is on board with me getting this truck. My biggest worry is I would be in over my head. $2000 I think is a lot for this truck if it was drivable. If I had to bail on it, I'm 100% certain I would lose money on it.

This truck is at a salvage yard, were people take scrap metal. I bet someone brought it in and sold it for scrap, now he's trying to get two grand.

I agree 2k is to much and I agree you probably couldn't get your money back. But when you look at it like we do our tractors it really no different. If you go buy a basket case tractor and put it back together your more than likely not going to make anything but you do it because you want to. Go wave 1400 in cash in his face and see what his stance on the truck is then.
"Farming is a business that makes a Las Vegas craps table look like a regular paycheck" Ronald Reagan
thendrix View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote thendrix Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Apr 2019 at 8:12pm
https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chevrolet_Task_Force

According to this page, starting in 1958, all medium duty trucks were called Vikings. I guess it was earlier than that when there was something special about the Viking. I don't know if you told the year of the truck but I believe it's between 1959 and 1961 or 62 (larger trucks usually ran body styles a year longer than 1/2 tons). If that's the case then, according to Wikipedia, there's nothing special about that truck. Might be another bargaining chip to show the owner and say "the truck is a run of the mill truck, nothing special"
Calvin Schmidt View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Calvin Schmidt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Apr 2019 at 8:46pm
Does it have Independent front suspension with torsion bars ? Think they when back to straight front axles in '63. I had a '66 GMC  6500 with a 366 with a 5 & 2. worked good.
Traded it on a '65 GMC 72" cab over with the mighty 702 V-12 ! It hauled the mail !
Nothing is impossible if it is properly financed
Hubert (Ga)engine7 View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hubert (Ga)engine7 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Apr 2019 at 9:11pm
Think it is either a '60 or '61. The torsion bar suspension might help to make it rare but not more desirable.
Just an old country boy saved by the grace of God.
shameless dude View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote shameless dude Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Apr 2019 at 2:36am
neighbor bought a Viking new, had a 16 ft grain box on it, they used it for a pickup when it wasn't hauling grain. had it til the mid 70's.
Tbone95 View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tbone95 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Apr 2019 at 7:50am
Like Tyler says, wave $1400 in his face, leave a phone number and walk out.  Might be surprised!
Michael V (NM) View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Michael V (NM) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Apr 2019 at 1:08pm
$2000 is way to much,, watch some auctions, prolly could get a good runner with a hoist and grain box for less than that...from what I see,really less than $500...
Tim NH View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tim NH Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Apr 2019 at 6:35pm
 Check this out Ranse .  asheville.craigslist.org/cto/d/erwin-67-chevy-1-ton-ramp-truck-v-speed/6841684945.html

Edited by Tim NH - 10 Apr 2019 at 7:04am
1950 WD 1959 D14 1955 WD45 1976 7000 B 207
CrestonM View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CrestonM Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Apr 2019 at 6:35pm
Originally posted by Michael V (NM) Michael V (NM) wrote:

$2000 is way to much,, watch some auctions, prolly could get a good runner with a hoist and grain box for less than that...from what I see,really less than $500...
That's exactly what I was thinking!
Tim NH View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tim NH Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Apr 2019 at 6:40pm
Dang, that link didn't work. Anyone know how to heat it up.  Tim
1950 WD 1959 D14 1955 WD45 1976 7000 B 207
shameless dude View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote shameless dude Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Apr 2019 at 11:01pm
a Viking just sold on an on line auction, i'll try to find it and see what it brought.
SteveM C/IL View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SteveM C/IL Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Apr 2019 at 12:09am
those torsion bars rode good. Might have difficult time sourcing parts for that vintage. Need 70-80's 2 ton chassis with 427 BB and 4 or 5 spd w/2 spd rear to set cab and fenders on! But then 2 grand would be alot for just the body.....but they ain't making them any more?!
LouSWPA View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote LouSWPA Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Apr 2019 at 6:54am
It's worth whatever the seller can get for it, and buyer is willing to pay. that said, if you are really interested, your best bet is to look around some, you may find a much better deal, either equivalent truck for less, or, a lot more truck (more complete, better condition) for same money.

your likelihood of successfully completing such a project is proportional to the fourth power of the condition and completeness of what you started with. To me, that truck is a nonstarter for anybody less than a professional and/or deep pockets
I am still confident of this;
I will see the goodness of the Lord in the land of the living.
Wait for the Lord;
be strong and take heart and wait for the Lord. Ps 27
Tbone95 View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tbone95 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Apr 2019 at 7:50am
Very well stated Lou! LOL
PaulB View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote PaulB Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Apr 2019 at 9:08am
Those things with the big inch V6 engines were more of a truck than the later 366 Big block V8 engines were. And as mentioned the V12s would pass everything but a gas pump. I know as I've driven a few of the V12s mated to a 5&3.
   If you were thinking of a repower you most likely want something with an overdrive as most work trucks back then were geared slow.
   If you would be looking for a complete running truck, I have a 49 Dodge 2 ton for sale, that I would sell for $2000 as a C&C. This truck has had motor, brake and electrical work, to make it safe to drive. it needs paint and interior work.  I have a sale for the body that is currently o the truck, however if someone wanted the truck with the grain body, we could work something out. 

Edited by PaulB - 10 Apr 2019 at 4:21pm
If it was fun to pull in LOW gear, I could have a John Deere.
If you can't make it GO... make it SHINY
thendrix View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote thendrix Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Apr 2019 at 10:59am
If it were me if definitely go with something that had overdrive if I could make it work. We've got a C70 with a 366 and a 5/2 and that thing will run 55 but it's screaming when it does.
ac fleet View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ac fleet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Apr 2019 at 12:29pm
Well, here is a pic of the one I had,---It got sent to china melter,--Good running truck, 292 engine, 1960 Viking 60, had the split type front axle, Factory power steering, 4-speed transmission and 2- speed rear axle. -- The gear split was perfect to give an actual 8 speed.  Probably didn't get $ 50. for it.--- Sad, BUT I didn't have a choice in the matter.

This was the last pic of it they day they took it. If you can get one, go for it! these are nowhere to be found!---Wish I had mine back!!!!
http://machinebuildersnetwork.com/
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic