This site is not affiliated with AGCO Inc., Duluth GA., Allis-Chalmers Co., Milwaukee, WI., or any surviving or related corporate entity. All trademarks remain the property of their respective owners. All information presented herein should be considered the result of an un-moderated public forum with no responsibility for its accuracy or usability assumed by the users and sponsors of this site or any corporate entity.
The Forum Parts and Services Unofficial Allis Store Tractor Shows Serial Numbers History
Forum Home Forum Home > Allis Chalmers > Farm Equipment
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Interesting dust cap

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote darrel in ND Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Interesting dust cap
    Posted: 13 Jan 2024 at 9:00am
An old friend of mine who recently retired from turning wrenches, brought me up an interesting dust cap yesterday. He said that it was ordered for a guy for a D17, was supposed to be the plain ole stamped steel, thread on dust cap for a front wheel hub. But this one is cast iron, and not thin either. The thing must weigh at least 5 pounds or more. Does have what appears to be the correct threads for a D17 hub, but what in the world would require one to be this heavy duty. Number cast into it is: 70276819. If that is in fact a part number, I assume that it would be from the deutz Era, since begins with 7. Anyone have any ideas as to it's purpose? I would guess something industrial.
Darrel
Sponsored Links

jdeere562 View Drop Down
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jdeere562 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Jan 2024 at 9:32am
A/C part numbers used to be 6 numbers. Drop the initial numbers prior, then you have the original A/C part number. But it's been 30 years since I was in the business.
steve(ill) View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote steve(ill) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Jan 2024 at 10:00am
Like them all, but love the "B"s.
darrel in ND View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote darrel in ND Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Jan 2024 at 11:17am
That's it Steve. Were all of em cast iron in the early years, then later on figured out to be an overkill???
Thanks, Darrel
steve(ill) View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote steve(ill) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Jan 2024 at 3:56pm
I really dont know Darrel... Google WD or D17 front axle hub cap and you will see the above.. and the thinner cap with HEX drive on it... Different sites list them for the WD - the 45 and several of the D series tractors.. Dont know if they are interchangable ??
Like them all, but love the "B"s.
PaulB View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote PaulB Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Jan 2024 at 6:41pm
I have a couple of those cast iron dust caps in my NOS parts stash. From what I've seen they were primarily use on the industrial tractors. The I40 I had was equipped with a pair of them. They have a larger OD and must be removed before you can remove the front rim. 
If it was fun to pull in LOW gear, I could have a John Deere.
Real pullers don't have speed limits.
If you can't make it GO... make it SHINY
Pat the Plumber CIL View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Pat the Plumber CIL Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Jan 2024 at 8:05am
Don't need front wheel weights with those. LOL
You only need to know 3 things to be a plumber;Crap rolls down hill,Hot is on the left and Don't bite your fingernails

1964 D-17 SIV 3 Pt.WF,1964 D-15 Ser II 3pt.WF ,1960 D-17 SI NF,1956 WD 45 WF.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic