This site is not affiliated with AGCO Inc., Duluth GA., Allis-Chalmers Co., Milwaukee, WI., or any surviving or related corporate entity. All trademarks remain the property of their respective owners. All information presented herein should be considered the result of an un-moderated public forum with no responsibility for its accuracy or usability assumed by the users and sponsors of this site or any corporate entity.
The Forum Parts and Services Unofficial Allis Store Tractor Shows Serial Numbers History
Forum Home Forum Home > Other Topics > Shops, Barns, Varmints, and Trucks
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Increase in structures fires

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DMiller Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Increase in structures fires
    Posted: 09 Mar 2024 at 6:14am
Been puzzling at best where have been a greater volume of structure fires in our news service area. Referred to that with BIL where he as We have neighbors active on Fire Departments.

He and one Captain out of his area spoke on this where Li batteries came up. Fire investigators have been attempting to document causes which led them to improperly stored Li batteries in conjunction with excessive consumables within the storage area.
Many of the recent fires were attributed to small heaters, bad wiring or potential spontaneous combustion of Piles of discards left unattended for long periods as rags with petroleum or other chemical deposits on them. Then deeper studies noted most of these fires also had Li batteries in proximity to highest heat loading and raised this concern.

Small Tool batteries, Yard Equipment batteries, what are considered Emergency Auto On lighting with built in Li rechargeable cells plugged into receptacles. Very few breakers were located as Tripped by Investigators where a Battery Fire event may not cause a circuit to actually overload until that fire is fully involved with departments cutting or requesting power cut off to structures on fire prior to heavier involvement which would trip those breakers.   State Fire Inspectors are edgy as to calling out the batteries as a source, however is coming to that determination.

My insurer agent is also monitoring these developments Closely.
He felt may come down to a required Fully Enclosed with latching doors Steel storage cabinet with a Heat Trip Device power strip or Internal Electrical Outlet to keep insurers appeased much as Flammables Lockers for fuels cans.
Sponsored Links

Hubert (Ga)engine7 View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hubert (Ga)engine7 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Mar 2024 at 8:45am
My first thought when I saw the post heading was Li batteries being a culprit. When you are told to not park your EV in your garage because the battery may self ignite what does that tell you? Carelessness is another major factor. As a FF/EMT I have been in residences and wondered why they had not already burned to the ground. Somewhat happy that I am not doing that anymore. These days I won't leave batteries unattended while charging.
Just an old country boy saved by the grace of God.
DMiller View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DMiller Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Mar 2024 at 8:49am
Same here Hubert, Any of them can Light Off but Li's are the real concern.  Just remember the New Cordless STIHL machines are ALL Li, I dare say not a Cordless tool out there is not Lithium Ion.
JC-WI View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JC-WI Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Mar 2024 at 5:49pm
Had some little tulip garden lights that blew up and set the grass on fire along side the house... good thing Cheryl had stepped out that morning seconds after that thing had blown up... she hollerd "FIRE" and I ran out and put the fire out, or we wouldn't have had a house.  That was close. A little rechargeable button battery.  Then to think of all the other stuff equipped with a solar cell and a lithium battery.... or tools with rechargeable batteries.
He who says there is no evil has already deceived himself
The truth is the truth, sugar coated or not. Trawler II says, "Remember that."
DMiller View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DMiller Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Mar 2024 at 10:19am
Was a STIHL add on here this morning, Push Mower, Yard work Hand Equipment as Weed whacker, Chainsaw, Hand Blower, not impressed with volumes presented for work times, then at end showed Battery Storage in a Fully Open Rack, Exposed Wall Mounted Li Charger, with at least four batteries besides the ones On the Equipment on a Garage Wall.   Will make a STUPENDOUS Fire.  All manner of New EV Riding Mower Fires with those exceptionally LARGE, Immediate and Severe, those alone take FOUR of these Batteries.

Edited by DMiller - 15 Mar 2024 at 10:20am
Coke-in-MN View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Coke-in-MN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Mar 2024 at 3:35pm
I cringe every time i see grandkids charging things from laptops to other battery devices setting on or next to flammable materials , like laptop setting on couch with charger cable attached and no one around .  
 As handy as my cordless drill is , I have yet to worry about corded drill or power tool being left setting anywhere plugged in or not (well in wet areas I avoid keeping them)
 The idea a battery operated device is totally safe is a misnomer ! Then it seems a couple Harbor Freight tools I got seem to have batteries that will not fully charge now after 2 years so one wonders of the cost of even buying in the first place , let alone the hazard of having them for the idea of FIRE .
Faith isn't a jump in the dark. It is a walk in the light. Faith is not guessing; it is knowing something.
"Challenges are what make life interesting; overcoming them is what makes life meaningful."
iowallis View Drop Down
Silver Level
Silver Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote iowallis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Mar 2024 at 4:56pm
Local Bowling alley burned down last summer.  The cause I heard was the LI batteries for the lane conditioner machine exploded/caught fire. Then of course sitting right next to the machine were jugs of lane conditioning oil. The alley was closed on the day it happened so by the time it was visible outside there was no saving it. 

The county landfill advertises on the radio about separating the batteries from your waste and recycling them at an approved drop off location. Apparently they have problems with fires when the batteries get crushed by the equipment packing down the trash.

I have been much more observant while my batteries are being charged, and definitely pulled out of the charger before going to bed. Not sure how to avoid the spontaneous exploding/catching fire scenario.
JC-WI View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JC-WI Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Mar 2024 at 1:40am
I am wondering how many of those rechargeable batteries will have the capabilities to explode after they go dead from sitting?
He who says there is no evil has already deceived himself
The truth is the truth, sugar coated or not. Trawler II says, "Remember that."
DMiller View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DMiller Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Mar 2024 at 5:14am
That is the problem JC, as with dropped in the landfill Li batteries even dead are a reactive metal. All has to happen is cover cartridge be damaged, break that seal and allow moisture to any value in.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic