This site is not affiliated with AGCO Inc., Duluth GA., Allis-Chalmers Co., Milwaukee, WI., or any surviving or related corporate entity. All trademarks remain the property of their respective owners. All information presented herein should be considered the result of an un-moderated public forum with no responsibility for its accuracy or usability assumed by the users and sponsors of this site or any corporate entity.
The Forum Parts and Services Unofficial Allis Store Tractor Shows Serial Numbers History
Forum Home Forum Home > Other Topics > Pulling Forum
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Ignition

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote allispuller Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Ignition
    Posted: 29 Nov 2018 at 5:35pm
Anyone on here run C5 ignition. If so what are your thoughts. Thinking about possibly trying it on my WD45 puller
Sponsored Links

DrAllis View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DrAllis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Nov 2018 at 7:21am
I don't know what C5 ignition is.   This I will tell you, the fact that AC has their spark plug in the center of the combustion chamber is a HUGE deal. Factory stock ignition that is in good condition and timed correctly works just fine.  Electronic ignition kits to get rid of the old points is better because things never change and the spark is always accurately timed. I challenge you to make more HP with any kind of an ignition upgrade on an AC engine that is relatively stock and not running over 2500 RPM.

Edited by DrAllis - 30 Nov 2018 at 7:26am
allispuller View Drop Down
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote allispuller Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Nov 2018 at 7:41am
C5 uses optical triggers and multi sparks. You can also set up to 4 timing maps.
DrAllis View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DrAllis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Nov 2018 at 9:18am
Multiple sparks surely won't hurt, but my contention is you won't show any appreciable gains in a somewhat stock low RPM engine. If you've raised the compression a bunch, the ability to vary the timing at certain RPM's could be of an advantage.  Sounds like lots of dyno time to make it work the best that it can work. High compression doesn't need or like a lot of timing advance.  Please report back on your BEFORE and AFTER results on the dyno.
Charlie175 View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Charlie175 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Nov 2018 at 10:13am
I have started seeing these at the big pulls, mainly on fast class tractors. Slow class I think it's overkill.
Pretty weird with no connecting wires to the distributor. 

Same guy promotes a lot of intake air/fuel ratio monitoring to get the exact right ratio for the most power.
Charlie

'48 B, '51 CA, '56 WD45 '61 D17, '63 D12, '65 D10 , '68 One-Ninety XTD
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote allispuller Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Nov 2018 at 11:05am
Been have issues I feel with not getting a complete fuel burn and the multi spark efficiency caught my eye with this particular system
DrAllis View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DrAllis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Nov 2018 at 11:30am
So, what is your engine exactly ??   
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote allispuller Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Nov 2018 at 12:56pm
315 cid 11:1 compression
PaulB View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote PaulB Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Nov 2018 at 4:26pm
How about a simple MSD box added to the electronic ignition conversion kit? Hide the box and no one knows you're using it. 

Edited by PaulB - 30 Nov 2018 at 4:27pm
If it was fun to pull in LOW gear, I could have a John Deere.
If you can't make it GO... make it SHINY
Macon Rounds View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Macon Rounds Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Dec 2018 at 6:04pm
Probably just giving it to much fuel if its not burning it all........ 
Are you consistently fouling plugs?

Lots of 12.5 to 1 compression engines run fine on point and standard ignition coil.

But if your feeding it to much fuel no ignition system will fix that.
The Allis "D" Series Tractors, Gravely Walk behind Tractors, Cowboy Action Shooting !!!!!!! And Checkmate
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic