This site is not affiliated with AGCO Inc., Duluth GA., Allis-Chalmers Co., Milwaukee, WI., or any surviving or related corporate entity. All trademarks remain the property of their respective owners. All information presented herein should be considered the result of an un-moderated public forum with no responsibility for its accuracy or usability assumed by the users and sponsors of this site or any corporate entity.
The Forum Parts and Services Unofficial Allis Store Tractor Shows Serial Numbers History
Forum Home Forum Home > Allis Chalmers > Farm Equipment
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

IB torque tube shroud removal

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Freewheeling Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: IB torque tube shroud removal
    Posted: 14 Jul 2024 at 10:10am
I need to remove the shroud that covers the torque tube in order to both remove some dents and also remove and replace the battery-to-starter cable.  It appears the steering gear box bolts must be removed for the the shroud to be tilted forward from the steering column support. That would allow clearance for cable removal and replacment. However, to remove the shroud completely appears to require removing the steering wheel and the steering arm from the end of the gear box shaft.   Since the shaft protrudes 4-5" the shroud wuld have to be spread to clear.  This is hindered by the tube the throttle linkage for the foot feed passes through.  On my machine this tube is brazed to the shround on the right side and also has brazing on the left side although it is not holding to the shroud. This will prevent the shroud from being spread enough to clear the shaft without bending the crap out of it.  There is a cotter pin on the left side of the shaft that goes the tube so I don't see a need for the brazing on that side.  The previous owners of this tractor did all kinds of wierd mods and cobble jobs so the brazing may not be factory.   I'd appreciate any insight from you IB owners.
Sponsored Links

steve(ill) View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote steve(ill) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Jul 2024 at 12:40pm
did you remove the gas tank ?  That is step one... Steering wheel needs to come off also.. I dont remember a problem with the throttle rod tube... but your right, a lot of bending and twisting to finally get it off... Then you remove the steering gear box.
Like them all, but love the "B"s.
Freewheeling View Drop Down
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Freewheeling Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Jul 2024 at 6:01am
I have the tank off and all the screws holding the shroud including the braces at the top of the shroud.  Is the throttle rod brazed to the shroud on the left side on your tractor?  I have feeling it has a washer and cotter pin or something similar.  Thanks.

steve(ill) View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote steve(ill) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Jul 2024 at 3:28pm
my tractor has a steel bushing brazed to the sheetmetal on each side .. Only sticks out 1/16 inch past the sheet metal. The rod goes thru the bushings and has a cotter pin on each end.
Like them all, but love the "B"s.
Freewheeling View Drop Down
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Freewheeling Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Jul 2024 at 5:55am
Thanks Steve. Yup, that's the same as mine.  
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic