This site is not affiliated with AGCO Inc., Duluth GA., Allis-Chalmers Co., Milwaukee, WI., or any surviving or related corporate entity. All trademarks remain the property of their respective owners. All information presented herein should be considered the result of an un-moderated public forum with no responsibility for its accuracy or usability assumed by the users and sponsors of this site or any corporate entity.
The Forum Parts and Services Unofficial Allis Store Tractor Shows Serial Numbers History
Forum Home Forum Home > Allis Chalmers > Farm Equipment
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

IB amp gauge

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Freewheeling Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: IB amp gauge
    Posted: 10 Sep 2023 at 9:44am
I'm restoring an Allis IB to as original as possible. I've looked on line for a B amp gauge and found a lot of variations. 60 amp, 30 amp, 20 amp, with Allis-Chalmers on the face and without, colored dial and numbered, etc.  The tractor is a 1952.  Can anyone tell me what the factory original gauge looked like?  Thanks. 
Sponsored Links

steve(ill) View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote steve(ill) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Sep 2023 at 12:42pm
i believe it looked like this......... ??

Like them all, but love the "B"s.
Freewheeling View Drop Down
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Freewheeling Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Sep 2023 at 2:28pm
Hi Steve,
Thanks.  I wonder if it was a 30 amp since the system theoretically doesn't put out that much.

By the way, I am wrap my head around the electrical system.  I read an article that related it to water through a pipe. Made it easier to understand volts and amps and principle of the generator.  Using that analogy it seems that the 3-way switch acts like a valve in a pipe.

I did some tests on the generator last week both assembled nd disassembled.
I set the multimeter @ lowest ohm scale - 200
Between 3rd brush and F terminal
Disassembled - 2.2-2.3
Assembled - the same
F terminal to ground ( case)
Disassembled - no reading
Assembled - 3.3
Assembled 
3rd brush to ground - 0.3
Other non-grounded brush to ground - 0.3
Ground brush to ground - 0.0
"A" terminal to ground - 0.3

My understanding is that these are all good readings. Correct?
Hopefully I can get back to the shop next week and check the wiring.
steve(ill) View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote steve(ill) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Sep 2023 at 5:06pm
i dont know if the ORIGINAL amp gauge was 20 or 30 amp.... Personally i like the 20 amp BLACK aftermarket gauge.. Thats what i have been using.. But many will say the "original" was white with a chrome ring and the words ALLIS CHALMERS on the face.. but if it was 20 or 30 amp , i dont know.

off hand, i think your numbers look pretty good..
Like them all, but love the "B"s.
Steve in NJ View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Steve in NJ Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Sep 2023 at 6:01pm
The original amp gauge was a 20/20. Most were Black face white letters. No Allis-Chalmers name on the face. It looks like our 1500-01A on our website. HTH
Steve@B&B
bb-customcircuits.com
39'RC, 43'WC, 48'B, 49'G, 50'WF, 65 Big 10, 67'B-110, 75'716H, 2-620's, & a Motorhead wife
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic