This site is not affiliated with AGCO Inc., Duluth GA., Allis-Chalmers Co., Milwaukee, WI., or any surviving or related corporate entity. All trademarks remain the property of their respective owners. All information presented herein should be considered the result of an un-moderated public forum with no responsibility for its accuracy or usability assumed by the users and sponsors of this site or any corporate entity.
The Forum Parts and Services Unofficial Allis Store Tractor Shows Serial Numbers History
Forum Home Forum Home > Allis Chalmers > Construction and other equipment
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

I600 fork lift tractor starter question

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jaylt1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: I600 fork lift tractor starter question
    Posted: 12 hours 20 minutes ago at 3:12pm
Hello, forgive me if this sounds a bit newbie...
I have a 1960s i600 gas engine fork lift tractor and I believe it is positive ground system. There is a yellow generator on the front end accessories, and someone thought they would put a 12v car battery (800cca) to fire it up out of a 25 year slumber..
Now the starter won't turn, while the battery was in it hooked to neg. Frame ground and positive to the solenoid, I did get 12vdc reading and 17vdc to the small post when momentary contact was closed during "start" from the key..
But there is a no crank situation. I did take the starter out and disassembled it to check the brushes and the armature, the armature and the small copper ring
Behind the windings do not have continuity.
I'm assuming that is correct.

But all four brushes do have continuity to the solenoid (starter side) and continuity between all four brushes, and the field pads inside of the case ..

Is this correct? What else would I need to troubleshoot the starter to verify everything that has continuity does, and everything that does not have continuity doesn't?

Please help me understand this starter!!
It is a ac Delco Starter 1107758
12v 1960 on... I think??
Thanks in advance
Sponsored Links

DiyDave View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DiyDave Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 hours 48 minutes ago at 3:44pm
To verify the ground, look at the way the coil and points are wired.  If the + terminal on the coil goes into the points, it's a + ground. (that is, if someone hasn't effed with it.)

Also, if the battery terms were reversed, one clamp will show evidence of tightening, and the other will have evidence of being spread (assuming that the clamps have not been replaced) + and - battery posts are not the same size, one is smaller, I have forgotten which...

Have you tried to start, with the starter removed, and grounded to the frame?
Source: Babylon Bee. Sponsored by BRAWNDO, its got what you need!
Jaylt1 View Drop Down
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jaylt1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 hours 41 minutes ago at 3:51pm
Have haven't tried to bench test it with power yet, just been cleaning and a lot of Internet research to figure out what I'm dealing with here.
I am not familiar with trouble shooting positive ground systems.

I wasn't sure if I should ground the frame of the starter and hit the lead from the solenoid with 12+ or reverse that to bench test it ?
Ian Beale View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ian Beale Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 8 hours 25 minutes ago at 7:07pm
IIRC the starter won't be fussy
Jaylt1 View Drop Down
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jaylt1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 8 hours 2 minutes ago at 7:30pm
So I found some numbers on both sides of the engine and on the bell housing of the transmission..

Sitting in the seat of the forklift engine behind you,
Left side was NJ198 located below the steering knuckle
Right side on a raised block was "I60 14023-R

And on the bell housing on the same side was 1974...
Hopefully this helps to find a wire diagram... I've been searching for hours with no luck
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic