This site is not affiliated with AGCO Inc., Duluth GA., Allis-Chalmers Co., Milwaukee, WI., or any surviving or related corporate entity. All trademarks remain the property of their respective owners. All information presented herein should be considered the result of an un-moderated public forum with no responsibility for its accuracy or usability assumed by the users and sponsors of this site or any corporate entity.
The Forum Parts and Services Unofficial Allis Store Tractor Shows Serial Numbers History
Forum Home Forum Home > Allis Chalmers > Construction and other equipment
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

I600 Brakes

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Freighttrain Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: I600 Brakes
    Posted: 21 Jul 2012 at 11:46pm
Anyone know about the brakes on a I614 forklift?I need to work on mine.They don't work and haven't since I bought the lift,Left side is as limp as the guys on late night TV commercials and the right side has just enough to barely stop it at a dead crawl.
Sponsored Links

D-17_Dave View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote D-17_Dave Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Jul 2012 at 12:13pm
If it's built on the D-15/I-600 chassis which I think it is then remove the wheels, fenders, running board or in your case possible platform that may be bolted to the drop housing. Drain the oil from the rear end and after blocking the rear end up and remove the pin from the brake linkage, remove the 4 main bolts that hold the drop housing and slide the housing out of the way exsposing the brakes. You will likely find worn out linings on the shoes and or oil from the rear end from leaking seals.
The fix is to replace the seals in the rea carrier while your into it this far as 50 year old seals are barely hanging on if they aren't leaking now. Remove the brake shoes and the 4 bolts that hold the rear carrier in the rear housing and one side at a time remove housing as the oil seals are removed and installed from the inside. Also replace the o-ring seal on the housing, clean and reinstall. This will keep oil from contaminating the new brakes. If it's just oil contamination to start with, clean up the shoes and scuff the brake drums and put it all back together. If you need linings you can get just the lining kits or opt for replacement shoes but they are much more costly. I have new lining kits that I did not need for my D-15 that I would part with at cost. This cleaning and service of the brakes should return both sides to near new performance as these brakes are very simple and work very well.
Yea, I can fix that.....
wfmurray View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wfmurray Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Jul 2012 at 2:33pm
I repaired brakes on a industrail and it had  square metalic pads . Don,t remember the no  but it was basicle the same as my 14 that has linings.
Freighttrain View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Freighttrain Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Jul 2012 at 12:06am
WF,Am I gonna have take it apart like Dave said?
DiyDave View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DiyDave Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Jul 2012 at 4:18am
Inspect, first. Look for the oil leaks mentioned.  Check linkages, to see if they are at the end of adjustment.  On an Ag tractor, it's not too bad of a job, but on a reversed forklift, late model, it can be a large undertaking.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic