This site is not affiliated with AGCO Inc., Duluth GA., Allis-Chalmers Co., Milwaukee, WI., or any surviving or related corporate entity. All trademarks remain the property of their respective owners. All information presented herein should be considered the result of an un-moderated public forum with no responsibility for its accuracy or usability assumed by the users and sponsors of this site or any corporate entity.
The Forum Parts and Services Unofficial Allis Store Tractor Shows Serial Numbers History
Forum Home Forum Home > Allis Chalmers > Farm Equipment
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

I think the foot clutch may be slipping d-17

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mdcwells Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: I think the foot clutch may be slipping d-17
    Posted: 4 hours 3 minutes ago at 1:34pm
I have a  1960 series 1 D-17. When in higher gears the motor seems to rev up while on large hills and the tractor comes to a stop. If I put the tractor into 1st or 2nd gear it will take back off and pull the hill. I will also bog down when running the finish mower through heavy grass if I'm pulling a grade and I will have to go into the lowest gear possible. I did adjust the clutch pedal travel and that seemed to improve things a bit. I have read that there is a possible clutch finger adjustment through the bell housing hole. I can see the clutch fingers all touching the throw out bearing and when the clutch is actuated the throw out bearing moves forward and pushes them all in. My fear is I will have to split the tractor and replace th clutch. I bought it because it had a really nice loader, I was considering putting on my IH 656. I really liked this tractor and hate the thought of pulling the loader and sending it on its way to Craigslist and selling it for not much since it is not right. Any advice on something I may be overlooking would be appreciated. Thank you in advance. 
Sponsored Links

DanWi View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DanWi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 3 hours 36 minutes ago at 2:01pm
If the PTO slows then your foot clutch is slipping. Put a new clutch in it then you know you have a tractor with a good clutch.
DSeries4 View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DSeries4 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 1 hour 38 minutes ago at 3:59pm
Being a loader tractor, your clutch is most likely done. Split it, put a new one in and you will be good for a long time. Not a hard job, just takes time.
'49 G, '54 WD45, '55 CA, '56 WD45D, '57 WD45, '58 D14, '59 D14, '60 D14, '61 D15D, '66 D15II, '66 D21II, '67 D17IV, '67 D17IVD, '67 190XTD, '73 620, '76 185, '77 175, '84 8030, '85 6080
DrAllis View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DrAllis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 minutes ago at 5:06pm
The fingers should NOT be touching the throw out bearing when your foot is OFF the clutch pedal. Adjust to at least 1/4" air gap and maybe the clutch will run for a while yet.

Edited by DrAllis - 30 minutes ago at 5:07pm
mdcwells View Drop Down
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mdcwells Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 minutes ago at 5:23pm
I appreciate the feedback. It looks like the fingers have a slotted screw and a nut. Woud you just back those out and put a feeler guage in between them and the throw out bearing?
DrAllis View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DrAllis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 7 seconds ago at 5:37pm
Just use a flat piece of 1/4" thick steel bent to fit in where you want it. Or, eyeball it like I probably would. I don't know if there's much saving it left after all the clutch has been thru.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic