This site is not affiliated with AGCO Inc., Duluth GA., Allis-Chalmers Co., Milwaukee, WI., or any surviving or related corporate entity. All trademarks remain the property of their respective owners. All information presented herein should be considered the result of an un-moderated public forum with no responsibility for its accuracy or usability assumed by the users and sponsors of this site or any corporate entity.
The Forum Parts and Services Unofficial Allis Store Tractor Shows Serial Numbers History
Forum Home Forum Home > Allis Chalmers > Farm Equipment
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Hy-tran dipstick/D 21

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote darrel in ND Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Hy-tran dipstick/D 21
    Posted: 06 Jul 2011 at 4:08pm
finally decided to maybe use my D 21 after owning it for about 10 years. When I went to check the hydraulic/transmission oil level, I am either checking in the wrong place, or else the dipstick is broken off. The place where I was expecting there to be a dipstick was under a little inspection cover on the floor panel right next to the shifter, but there was just a breather cap with no dipstick. Is there some where else I should be looking? If not, then I guess that I am in the market for a new cap with a dipstick on it, if anyone has an extra one for sale. Thanks, Darrel
Sponsored Links

DrAllis View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DrAllis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Jul 2011 at 6:03pm
I thought the dipstick was behind your left heel under the seat.
monitordoc View Drop Down
Silver Level
Silver Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote monitordoc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Jul 2011 at 6:45pm
 Dipstick is under a round cover ,  under the seat.
WD,D17-S4,180,D21
ncpackfan39 View Drop Down
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ncpackfan39 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Jan 2024 at 2:59pm
Does anyone know, on a D21, where the transmission oil level light (green light) gets its signal from? Is there a sending unit that it’s wired to, and if so, where the sending unit is located?
d17brown View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote d17brown Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Jan 2024 at 7:31pm
sending unit is by left heel
phil
SteveM C/IL View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SteveM C/IL Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Jan 2024 at 9:31pm
My 220 uses same trans...left heel area at rear of platform
DSeries4 View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DSeries4 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Feb 2024 at 3:46pm
Originally posted by ncpackfan39 ncpackfan39 wrote:

Does anyone know, on a D21, where the transmission oil level light (green light) gets its signal from? Is there a sending unit that it’s wired to, and if so, where the sending unit is located?

Power comes from the other gauges behind the dash.  The sending unit is the ground.
'49 G, '54 WD45, '55 CA, '56 WD45D, '57 WD45, '58 D14, '59 D14, '60 D14, '61 D15D, '66 D15II, '66 D21II, '67 D17IV, '67 D17IVD, '67 190XTD, '73 620, '76 185, '77 175, '84 8030, '85 6080
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ncpackfan39 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Feb 2024 at 2:02pm
Thanks for the replies everyone. I’ll do some more investigating.
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ncpackfan39 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Feb 2024 at 5:16pm
Another question… I’ve got a D21 with a three point hitch and PTO. The three point hitch doesn’t go down unless approximately 300 pounds of pressure is put on it. Once down, it slowly creeps back up even with the lever in the down position, and the traction boost lever can be in any position with no change in behavior. If I get the three point hitch lowered, and try to lift, it will lift any amount of weight just fine. But, it won’t lower on its own. The two sets of hydraulic couplers for hydraulic hoses work just fine. Any thoughts on what is keeping the three point arms in the raised position and how to go about fixing that? I appreciate any advice.
DSeries4 View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DSeries4 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Feb 2024 at 8:34pm
Originally posted by ncpackfan39 ncpackfan39 wrote:

Another question… I’ve got a D21 with a three point hitch and PTO. The three point hitch doesn’t go down unless approximately 300 pounds of pressure is put on it. Once down, it slowly creeps back up even with the lever in the down position, and the traction boost lever can be in any position with no change in behavior. If I get the three point hitch lowered, and try to lift, it will lift any amount of weight just fine. But, it won’t lower on its own. The two sets of hydraulic couplers for hydraulic hoses work just fine. Any thoughts on what is keeping the three point arms in the raised position and how to go about fixing that? I appreciate any advice.

Traction booster linkage is seized somewhere and putting pressure on the valve.  Free up the linkage and your problem should be solved.  In rare cases, the valve itself might be sticking.

'49 G, '54 WD45, '55 CA, '56 WD45D, '57 WD45, '58 D14, '59 D14, '60 D14, '61 D15D, '66 D15II, '66 D21II, '67 D17IV, '67 D17IVD, '67 190XTD, '73 620, '76 185, '77 175, '84 8030, '85 6080
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ncpackfan39 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Mar 2024 at 7:19am
Thanks for all the feedback and info. So far, all has been very helpful. I’m having an issue with the PTO on the D21. First issue is that when the tractor is started with the PTO engaged, the PTO shaft spins regardless of the position of the PTO handle. The handle seems to snap into all three positions (engage, neutra, and brake) but none of the positions stop the PTO from spinning. Any thoughts on what’s causing that would be much appreciated.
Secondly, I’m looking for a different PTO handle if anyone has one. My PTO handle has been bent, and the inner parts removed (I think because a cab used to be installed.) Additionally, the PTO handle, Inner and outer quadrant removed… any ideas on where to get a PTO handle and associated parts? Thanks for any tips.
tbran View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tbran Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Mar 2024 at 8:02am
IF your PTO spins in any position, Brake, Neutral, Engaged - you have warped clutch plates - the bolt / plate broke on the brake end.  With the tractor off - spin the tractor pto by hand (if you can) while someone moves the lever back and forth. IF it spins in neutral the brake is at fault - if you can't spin it - clutches are warped/broke. If memory is correct
there are 5 clutch and 2 brake wet plates. 
When told "it's not the money,it's the principle", remember, it's always the money..
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ncpackfan39 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Mar 2024 at 8:57am
Thanks @TBRAN. That is all good info. We have the engine out for rebuild and all the sheet metal and fuel tank off, so this is the perfect time to fix the PTO. Do you know what would have to come apart or be opened up to get at the PTO clutch/brake?
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ncpackfan39 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Mar 2024 at 11:07am
We found that when the handle is in the neutral and the engaged position, the engine will spin the PTO. When the handle is in the brake position, the PTO will spin freely with the engine, but can be stopped by hand.
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ncpackfan39 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Mar 2024 at 11:18am
Can anyone confirm that handle forward= PTO engaged, center = PTO disengaged, and Aft= PTO brake? Or am I backwards on the forward / aft settings?
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic