This site is not affiliated with AGCO Inc., Duluth GA., Allis-Chalmers Co., Milwaukee, WI., or any surviving or related corporate entity. All trademarks remain the property of their respective owners. All information presented herein should be considered the result of an un-moderated public forum with no responsibility for its accuracy or usability assumed by the users and sponsors of this site or any corporate entity.
The Forum Parts and Services Unofficial Allis Store Tractor Shows Serial Numbers History
Forum Home Forum Home > Other Topics > Shops, Barns, Varmints, and Trucks
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Hydraulic Fluid

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote fixer1958 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Hydraulic Fluid
    Posted: 03 Mar 2023 at 6:37am
$67 for 5 gallons. Was cheap as any place around at Oreilly's. AW32. Some places were over $100. Last time I bought 5 gals was $50 about 7-8 months ago. Need to keep at least 5 gals on hand always.
Have a machine that has a really bad attitude and will blow a hose in the worst possible place. One day I will have all 40 or so hoses replaced one at a time probably in the mud somewhere around here. I can't say anything bad about it out loud or it may hear me then I will really be in for it.
Sponsored Links

PaulB View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote PaulB Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Mar 2023 at 7:10am
You need to shop around. Locally the farm & Home store has 5 Gal UTF for $39 and change. Of course the local TSC has it listed for $69 and change ( but do they have any?). Wally World shows it for $56 and change. Many places are just posting price that they think they can get. I picked up a 5 gallon bucket of 50 wt synthetic transmission oil for the Astro a few weeks ago. The price given was $178 for the pail, when I asked if they could do better on the price, it dropped to $121. Places are very willing to take all your money if you just hand it over. 
If it was fun to pull in LOW gear, I could have a John Deere.
If you can't make it GO... make it SHINY
steve(ill) View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote steve(ill) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Mar 2023 at 8:51am
AW32 is normally good stuff. Its more of a 15wt oil and son uses it in his Skid steer. Thats the recommended.  Most of the Universal fluids are in the 20 or 30 wt catagory... maybe 10w 30.. We use a AW46 in the backhoe because we got a good buy on that oil ....  its a  20 wt.... UTF is good stuff for most farm type tractors.

Edited by steve(ill) - 03 Mar 2023 at 8:53am
Like them all, but love the "B"s.
desertjoe View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote desertjoe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Mar 2023 at 9:09am
 Yeah Fixer,,,I'm kinda that way as I TRY to NOT cuss them machines too much ,,,,,,cause they got a way at getting back at you,,,at the worst possible times too,,!!!My Dad, who was an expert Shade Tree mechanic,, would always sweet talk to them rusty azzed bolts that did NOT want to come out of the hole,,,and just talk and talk never getting into too loud a voice and LO & Behold he could always work them out,,!! AND, he always used "WATER" as a lubricant!! I finally learned after breaking many of them friggin rusty azzed bolts flush and then, not having a drill or ease outs I learned the hard way to use a cold chisel to chip it out a small piece at a time!!!!  You learn pretty quick,,,"DONT CUSS THEM RUSTY BOLTS",,,,LOLLOL

Edited by desertjoe - 03 Mar 2023 at 9:11am
plummerscarin View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote plummerscarin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Mar 2023 at 12:06pm
Originally posted by PaulB PaulB wrote:

You need to shop around. Locally the farm & Home store has 5 Gal UTF for $39 and change. Of course the local TSC has it listed for $69 and change ( but do they have any?). Wally World shows it for $56 and change. Many places are just posting price that they think they can get. I picked up a 5 gallon bucket of 50 wt synthetic transmission oil for the Astro a few weeks ago. The price given was $178 for the pail, when I asked if they could do better on the price, it dropped to $121. Places are very willing to take all your money if you just hand it over. 

Your last comment reminded me of a service tech training seminar we went to when switching to flat rate pricing. When the subject of price came up when asked “how much”? The reply was “All of it!”
fixer1958 View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote fixer1958 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Mar 2023 at 6:51am
You are right about that Joe. My oldest brother told me that many years ago. 

I did check around on pricing and give or take $2 dollars that was the best. Anywhere else means driving all over the place. At $3 a gallon that's not going to happen, besides I was at work and they delivered it.
Work is 30 miles from home. Closest town is 12 miles from home.
I'm kind of lazy that way. If I have to drive it's going to have to wait or not at all or McGyver something.
DougG View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DougG Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Mar 2023 at 10:04am
Doesnt AW 32 have additives that are bad for older tractors ? We use that at work in Lulls and industrial equipment- had a leak on the parking brake on a Lull and it ate a hole in my boot in a few weeks
fixer1958 View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote fixer1958 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Mar 2023 at 11:09am
I've it in my WD and no issues.
This is for a Bobcat Mine Ex.
SOB is a PITA.
steve(ill) View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote steve(ill) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Mar 2023 at 12:36pm
AW32 and AW46  have addatives ( zinc compounds) specifically for vane , piston pumps.... Thats why they are used in a LUL  / Bobcat / Skidsteers ............ Nothing wrong with using it in an older tractor... We use AW46 in the backhoe hydraulics.

Universal tractor fluid (UTF) has addatives specifically designed for  hydraulic drives, hydraulic clutches, wet clutches, etc ( low zinc)....

BOTH are excellent for bearing / gear lube and can be used in the OLDER tractors for trans/ hydraulic fluid.... UTF is not the BEST choice for a skidsteer, just like AW32 might not be the best choice for a wet clutch / automatic larger (newer) farm tractor.

Edited by steve(ill) - 04 Mar 2023 at 12:38pm
Like them all, but love the "B"s.
Coke-in-MN View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Coke-in-MN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Mar 2023 at 10:30am
Just blew hose on skid loader , JIC fittings and had a hose made to replace . 10' hose and fittings $ 150 and then had to go back next day as they crimped wrong fitting on one end .  Then went to Fleet Farm to get oil AW 32 was $72 a 5 gallon pail and 10% discount promotion - (last time I bought some it was $52 on sale) .
 While there checked on fittings - for $16 I could have bought fittings to convert JIC to standard pipe and the 10' hose was $26 . So picked up 4 fittings and next time just need to buy hose from stock for 1/2" , most of my 3/4" I have already converted .
  Son bought hose fitting press and makes his own hoses now for his equipment hydraulics but only had 3/8 fittings and bulk hose in stock . Told him I would buy some fittings for him to stock and some bulk hose .
  Down in his new shop in West Concord MN , he mentioned local guy who does hoses is 83 years old and thinking of retiring so son might look at seeing if he wants to sell his stock and son start another business line to go with his skid loader equipment . 
  He just got a order for 8 more snow plows and 6 of his tree puller attachments . 
Small dealer in Lonsdale MN who sells mostly used compact tractors just ordered a couple more plows also - he bought 25 plows back in Nov and figured he would sell them over the next 2 years - but sold out by Jan and now is looking at another large order along with several tree pullers for compact tractor attachment line .

Edited by Coke-in-MN - 07 Mar 2023 at 10:32am
Faith isn't a jump in the dark. It is a walk in the light. Faith is not guessing; it is knowing something.
"Challenges are what make life interesting; overcoming them is what makes life meaningful."
EnidMabe View Drop Down
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote EnidMabe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Mar 2023 at 6:38am
Over 100$!!! Kind of costly until it is worth.

Edited by EnidMabe - 18 Apr 2023 at 1:06am
Coke-in-MN View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Coke-in-MN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Mar 2023 at 10:26am
Normal use would have figured another way but snow plow truck was down with broken front differential and skid loader was backup machine for snow , then the AC 715 backhoe had a fuel problem with plugged fuel line . 
 So now have a remote fuel tank on backhoe ,  replaced front
 differential on truck and fixed skid loader - ready for next snow storm .
Faith isn't a jump in the dark. It is a walk in the light. Faith is not guessing; it is knowing something.
"Challenges are what make life interesting; overcoming them is what makes life meaningful."
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic