This site is not affiliated with AGCO Inc., Duluth GA., Allis-Chalmers Co., Milwaukee, WI., or any surviving or related corporate entity. All trademarks remain the property of their respective owners. All information presented herein should be considered the result of an un-moderated public forum with no responsibility for its accuracy or usability assumed by the users and sponsors of this site or any corporate entity.
The Forum Parts and Services Unofficial Allis Store Tractor Shows Serial Numbers History
Forum Home Forum Home > Allis Chalmers > Farm Equipment
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Hutchinson Show Coming Out Party: 42S Grader

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
 Rating: Topic Rating: 1 Votes, Average 5.00  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
nowaktj View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote nowaktj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Hutchinson Show Coming Out Party: 42S Grader
    Posted: 05 Jul 2014 at 7:25pm
Hi guys-Here are some pictures of the 42S I have been working on.   Picked it up in November 2013.  She still isn't pretty but I hope to get it to the show.
Here is some background on it:
  • 42S is based on the UC tractor (same mechanicals engine back)
  • It appears that it had been sitting for 10+ years (based on tree growth around it).  Lucky for it, it was parked next to a nudist colony (I'm serious!  East Bethel, MN).
  • Front rims were shot...I ended up finding some 20" split rims to put on it.
  • Original rear rims were gone (it is suppose to have 24" duals similar to an on-highway truck of that era).  After much searching, I selected the same solution that the previous owner had...26" tractor rims.
  • The reason for parking it was that it dropped a valve in #1 cylinder and put a hole in the head.   These valves did not have a keeper ring on them that you see on many UM engines.
  • It was used for spreading asphalt at one time.  It's last use was clearing snow from parking lots.
  • The drives are all mechanical driven off the front of the engine...all this stuff was shelled out so someone had mounted a Briggs and Stratton engine near the main control box.
  • Left to do...get the canopy done and get all the actuators working.
  • Someone had painted "Happy Birthday Jan" on the side...several Allis friends have reported that they have used a picture of this to convince their wives that they are "normal"  ;-). 

Enjoy the pics.

As found:

As I moved it:

Today:

D19D, D17D, WD, WC, Snobee, #83 Plow, SC Blade, 14' disk, 400 series planter, B , Terra Tiger, M Dozer w/Baker Blade, TL-12, 42S Grader, G
Sponsored Links

Jacob (WI,ND) View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jacob (WI,ND) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Jul 2014 at 7:43pm
This is so awesome!  I know how much work a normal sized tractor is, I can appreciate the effort that went into this beast!  I'm looking forward to checking it out at Hutch!  So am I reading it right that you got all the mechanical back in working order, or is that still a work in progress?  I imagine finding parts for this sort of thing is near impossible?

I remember reading your post when you got it, and forgot about it until this.  Super exciting!
Jacob Swanson
1920 6-12; 1925,1926 20-35 longfenders; 1925,1926 15-25's; 1927,1929 20-35 shortfenders; C; B's; IB; WC's; WD; WD45
B26240 View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote B26240 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Jul 2014 at 6:37am
I love graders !!   The wife won't let me buy another one in nice running condition so my hat is off to you my friend !!        Mark
AC7060IL View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AC7060IL Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Jul 2014 at 7:01am
Amazing find, story, & revival effort. Now, I'll need to look up old specs about it in Norms book. Thank you for sharing. It's very interesting.
MNLonnie View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MNLonnie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Jul 2014 at 7:26am
That's quite a project Terry, looking forward to seeing it at the show.
Waukesha B, B, IB, G, styled WF, D15, 615 backhoe, 2-Oliver OC3's, 4 Ford Model T's, 3 Model A Fords, AV8 Coupe, AV8 Roadster, 1933 Ford Wrecker
JoeM(GA) View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JoeM(GA) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Jul 2014 at 7:38am
Wow!
Allis Express North Georgia
41 WC,48 UC Cane,7-G's,
Ford 345C TLB
rasman57 View Drop Down
Silver Level
Silver Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rasman57 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Jul 2014 at 10:23am
You have vision and determination!   That is great work, and lots of it. Very cool.
wjohn View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wjohn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Jul 2014 at 11:16am
I hope you can park it next to a Speed Patrol at the show and take a photo. I can tell that it's huge - definitely a neat and unique project.
1939 B, 1940 B, 1941 WC, 1951 WD, 1952 CA, 1956 WD-45
nowaktj View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote nowaktj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Jul 2014 at 1:19pm
Thanks guys.   I will try to get a pic of it at a minimum next to a grader based on a B (Neal from Otsego, MN has that).

It is running under its own power thanks to a "donor" engine.  I hope to have the actuators (acme thread) working for the show...have had to add a lower gearbox and now am in the process of fixing the upper right angle gearbox.  Hope I can get the canopy on it for the show as that would make it a look a bit more acceptable!

Parts are hard to come by...there is one that is fairly complete at the Heartland Museum boneyard in Clarion Iowa but he would only let me take pictures which I can understand.
D19D, D17D, WD, WC, Snobee, #83 Plow, SC Blade, 14' disk, 400 series planter, B , Terra Tiger, M Dozer w/Baker Blade, TL-12, 42S Grader, G
macvette View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote macvette Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Jul 2014 at 7:27pm
Thanks for bringing something AC and very unique back to life. Sure looking forward to seeing it "in the flesh" at Hutch!
Lon(MN) View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lon(MN) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Jul 2014 at 6:35am
Should count how many Allis projects started there new life at Gary's.
That grader is big.
nowaktj View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote nowaktj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Jul 2014 at 6:13am
Lon-So true!!

Here are the latest pictures.  The canopy is done and the actuator mechanisms all work!!   It is a Christmas Miracle in July ;-).

big dale View Drop Down
Silver Level
Silver Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote big dale Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Jul 2014 at 6:25am
That is super cool. I can't wait to see it at Hutch! Definitely a show stopper. Thanks for the pics! Dale
Leon B MO View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Leon B MO Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Jul 2014 at 6:27am
Great project, I'll bet it takes half an acre just to turn it around, what a rig. So if it was next to the nudist, did it take a long time to load and then "go back to look for left over parts that may have fallen off" a time or two!
Leon B MO
Uncle always said "Fill the back of the shovel and the front will take care of itself".
B26240 View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote B26240 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Jul 2014 at 6:27am
I'll be looking for it !!
JimIA View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JimIA Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Jul 2014 at 7:55am
Great pictures! Great work! Cant wait to see it.

I often wonder what Gary's neighbors think about all of that rusty orange going in and out of his driveway! He has assisted in a lot of "bringing new life" to many machines. Gary is an A++++++++ guy.

Jim
An open eye is much more observant than an open mouth
baverwolf View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote baverwolf Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Jul 2014 at 11:40am
Thats really cool! Are the front wheels driven? I'm assuming not based on the direction the tread is mounted?
Ben
Jim Lindemood View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jim Lindemood Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Jul 2014 at 11:59am
Wow -- that's awesome.
nowaktj View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote nowaktj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Jul 2014 at 5:11am
No just rear wheel driven...but it is a solid axle.  There is no differential.   I picked the grader up in November so all the nudists had on their winter coats ;-).
Fred in Pa View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Fred in Pa Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Jul 2014 at 9:07am
That's a NICE FIND
nowaktj View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote nowaktj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Jul 2014 at 11:30am
Here is a video of it taking its first steps.  Sorry about the damage to your lawn Mr. Agrimson. ;-)

bdallman View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bdallman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Jul 2014 at 1:38pm
Man that thing is Huge!!! Looks like a bear and a half to turn it too...hahaha
Cant wait to see it!

Brett
1954 CA, 1952 WD with Freeman Loader,1955 WD45, 1963 D19 Gas, 1984 620H, 1980’s AC Forklift, 66 All Crop Harvester, White Top Roto Baler, Misc S.C. Equip and AC Collectibles.
nowaktj View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote nowaktj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Jul 2014 at 12:06pm
Here is a picture from the show.  We were lucky enough on Sunday to get Neal's B grader staged in front of the 42S as it went through the parade.

Edited by nowaktj - 30 Jul 2014 at 12:07pm
Jacob (WI,ND) View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jacob (WI,ND) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Jul 2014 at 8:45pm
I enjoyed checking this out at the show, unfortunately I never was around it while you were Terry!  I wanted to BS with you and learn a little more about this unique beast.  Thanks again for bringing it, and keep up the good work!  Maybe next year we'll run into each other.

PS- for those interested, I have some pics of this on the other hutch post here:
Jacob Swanson
1920 6-12; 1925,1926 20-35 longfenders; 1925,1926 15-25's; 1927,1929 20-35 shortfenders; C; B's; IB; WC's; WD; WD45
NDBirdman View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote NDBirdman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Jul 2014 at 11:05pm
That thing is awesome!  I love the way it looks, if it were mine I would leave it as is, get everything working and show her in her work clothes.  I love it!!  Awesome!
1955 WD45 S#205467, 190XT #6652 DXT
Gerald Taylor View Drop Down
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gerald Taylor Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Apr 2016 at 5:01am
Hi i have two of thease graders. One gas powered with the U engine and the other powered by a Hesselman Diesel as what was also in the WKO crawler. Haven't had either of them going. Will try and post some photos soon. Gerald Taylor New Zealand
SHAMELESS View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SHAMELESS Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Apr 2016 at 7:44am
wow...that's awesum! that should be fun to restore! and...hows come none of them MN's folks didn't tells me bouts that there NUDIST CAMP up there! PffffT!
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic