This site is not affiliated with AGCO Inc., Duluth GA., Allis-Chalmers Co., Milwaukee, WI., or any surviving or related corporate entity. All trademarks remain the property of their respective owners. All information presented herein should be considered the result of an un-moderated public forum with no responsibility for its accuracy or usability assumed by the users and sponsors of this site or any corporate entity.
The Forum Parts and Services Unofficial Allis Store Tractor Shows Serial Numbers History
Forum Home Forum Home > Allis Chalmers > Garden Tractors
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

HP To Drive a Starter Generator

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KevinON Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: HP To Drive a Starter Generator
    Posted: 02 Feb 2018 at 11:07am
I'm putting a 16HP Cast Iron Single Briggs in my B110 puller.  I'm putting the Briggs in because I want to keep it as original as possible, and they didn't come with a Kohler.  I'm just wondering what kind of power the starter generator takes?  I hate the thoughts of removing it and having to use a remote starter cart for a stock altered tractor...Thanks!!
Sponsored Links

Coke-in-MN View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Coke-in-MN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Feb 2018 at 6:05pm
As they have a compression release the power isn't that high - I had a 7 HP Briggs with starter / generator on it and the battery was not any larger than standard garden tractor battery and in fact it was just a #12 wire feeding the unit . 
Faith isn't a jump in the dark. It is a walk in the light. Faith is not guessing; it is knowing something.
"Challenges are what make life interesting; overcoming them is what makes life meaningful."
KevinON View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KevinON Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Feb 2018 at 7:04pm
I should clarify that I am wondering what hp it takes to drive it while the engine is running
HudCo View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote HudCo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Feb 2018 at 7:06pm
i dont know what it takes to turn the gen undr load but i put a late model 32  16 horse with elactric starter and magneto ignition , also it has adjustable timing  with the short starter no mods to the frame or hood had to be done ,in my 101 simplicity and got rid of the10 hp with the starter generator
jaybmiller View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jaybmiller Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Feb 2018 at 8:58pm
I'll take a stab at it,working backwards.That's how today has been for me...sigh..
Say the genny produces 15 volts at 15 amps(seems about right to me, though there has to be 'spec' somewhere...). W=E x I, so 15 x 15 = 225 watts
There's about 750 Watts in a HP, 750/225 is about 3, so 1/3HP is generated.
Even at just 33% efficency that's about 1HP of mechanical work required to make 1/3HP of electrical energy. That would be necessary for a 'full load' and once the battery is charged, the genny doesn't need to 'work' as hard, so maybe 1/10th HP.

anyway , that's my guess
Jay
3 D-14s,A-C forklift, B-112
Kubota BX23S lil' TOOT( The Other Orange Tractor)

Never burn your bridges, unless you can walk on water
KevinON View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KevinON Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Feb 2018 at 7:59am
Thanks, HudCo and Jay.  It is funny how things go.  I had a neighbour who got out of small engine repair years ago, give me a bunch of old Briggs single cast engines.  I thought that they were all starter/genny engines.  When looking for something else, I happened to look down at one of the parts engines, and it was an electric starter 16HP.  It is missing the starter, but I can use that flywheel and convert my engine over.  Thanks for all of the help.  It is much appreciated.
Coke-in-MN View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Coke-in-MN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Feb 2018 at 1:03pm
Check around - might be able to come up with the proper starter easily 
I bought a complete 16 HP horizontal shaft Briggs complete with starter and electric clutch for $100 - runs fine and now on a NH tractor to replace the Kohler 16HP 
Faith isn't a jump in the dark. It is a walk in the light. Faith is not guessing; it is knowing something.
"Challenges are what make life interesting; overcoming them is what makes life meaningful."
KevinON View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KevinON Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Feb 2018 at 1:29pm
Thanks, Coke.  The proper starter is still available through Briggs and aftermarket so I shouldn't be too hard to get.
talntedmrgreen View Drop Down
Silver Level
Silver Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote talntedmrgreen Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Feb 2018 at 2:08pm
I would find a starter. If you swap the flywheel, then you mayneed to have it repolarized for your ignition. 
Patterson B1*B1/B1Forklift*B10*BigTen/B1Loader*B110*B208*B206*616*Homelite T16H/T8/T7/RM7E*Landlord/Loader/Trencher*Broadmoor717*Serf525*2110*7790*Legacy XL*Twin 20*Squire9*Squire6*JCPenny 494
Cal View Drop Down
Silver Level
Silver Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Cal Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Feb 2018 at 5:57pm
The starter-generator takes app. one HP at10-12 amps of charge. When my son was young he pulled a B-12, I put a toggle switch on thearmature wire that way when pulling we could turn off charging then back to charge to keep battery up. That short little B-12 pulled very well. synthetic gear lube in the BGB was a noticeable boost when pulling hard.  Cal in CT
jaybmiller View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jaybmiller Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Feb 2018 at 5:59am
HAy Kevin, nice thing about Briggs is being able to get the 'illustrated parts lists (IPL) easily from Briggs. Everytime I get an engine in here, I search and download it's manual. That way I can check the part numbers and see which 'dusty shelf sitter' I can use to fix it. I also print off a piage or two to have on the bench, hate to get a real manual dirty. Hopefully your donor engine will have ring gear, alternator and regulator. when you go to rebuild the starter,make the 'fancy' brush holder from stiff tin. it's a simple thing but saves fiddling with trying to get 4 springy brushes back just enough to put over the armature. Also check all of the magnets on the flywheel. I had a couple come off and bind up the engine. I 'thought' for sure the con rod was busted...nope..'just' 8 magnets having fun...

Jay
3 D-14s,A-C forklift, B-112
Kubota BX23S lil' TOOT( The Other Orange Tractor)

Never burn your bridges, unless you can walk on water
KevinON View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KevinON Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Feb 2018 at 7:15am
Thanks, guys for all of your input.  My donor engine did not come with a starter, but I am getting one from work.  (I work at a Deere dealer....ya, I know....lol).  For a pulling engine, we usually get rid of the charging parts and just keep the battery charged up with a maintainer.  I will check that the magnets are all there and tight.  I thought of replacing them, but they seem ok.  How do I repolarize the ignition.  I apologize for being a little dumb, I hate electrical....lol.  We don't get along!  Thanks again!
Butch(OH) View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Butch(OH) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Feb 2018 at 7:29am
They do consume some power when charging the battery at a high rate, enough that you can hear a change in engine speed.  A simple low cost way to get rid of the drag would be to remove the "BATT"  wire from the regulator, run it to a switch and then back to the regulator. When you hook to the  sled hit the switch,,no drag.
KevinON View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KevinON Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Feb 2018 at 8:53am

If I am not going to worry about charging the battery, then I could just leave the starter genny on, and just use it as a starter.  I thought it may take valuable hp to drive with no load, but apparently not.

HudCo View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote HudCo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Feb 2018 at 7:15pm
if your new 16 hp does not have pionts you will need to change the polarity on the flywheel 
KevinON View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KevinON Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Feb 2018 at 7:29pm
They both have points I believe.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic