This site is not affiliated with AGCO Inc., Duluth GA., Allis-Chalmers Co., Milwaukee, WI., or any surviving or related corporate entity. All trademarks remain the property of their respective owners. All information presented herein should be considered the result of an un-moderated public forum with no responsibility for its accuracy or usability assumed by the users and sponsors of this site or any corporate entity.
The Forum Parts and Services Unofficial Allis Store Tractor Shows Serial Numbers History
Forum Home Forum Home > Allis Chalmers > Construction and other equipment
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

how important is it. .........

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote darrel in ND Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: how important is it. .........
    Posted: 17 May 2015 at 8:27am
That the outer surface of the brake drum in my HD5G is nice and smooth? Reason I ask is because the right side drum of mine, I plan on re-using, but is kind of pitted. I got a new /used one for the left side, and it is smooth as glass. Is it a viable option to take it to a machine shop and get it cut by a few thousandths, or won't it be an issue? Maybe just a buffing with a flap disc in a side grinder would be sufficient? Any thoughts on the matter? Thanks, Darrel
Sponsored Links

CAL(KS) View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CAL(KS) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 May 2015 at 1:54pm
unless it is severe i wouldn't worry about it.  your brake bands are going to polish it up anyway once you start using it.  you could have it tuned in a lathe since you already have it out, but do you really gain anything by having it done?  personal preference i guess
Me -C,U,UC,WC,WD45,190XT,TL-12,145T,HD6G,HD16,HD20

Dad- WD, D17D, D19D, RT100A, 7020, 7080,7580, 2-8550's, 2-S77, HD15
Ages Cat View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ages Cat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 May 2015 at 3:15pm

I replaced both drums in our HD5B. We turned them down simply to remove the portion of the drum where the brake band had worn into the drum. They are now smooth so that the brake band can create a new path on the drum face. The  pits should not matter. Be sure to put it all together with anti seize compound if you think you might take it apart again, someday. How are the throwout bearings and lube hoses? If they are not greasable make sure they are when you are done. The bearings in our tractor disintegrated as they were not being lubricated by the former owner, whover it was.

Curt Anderson
HD3, HD5B, HD6E, HD6AG,HD6B dozer, I-400, 615, 616,(2) 620, 720, ACP25 lift truck, 1956 D Special Grader, AC 540 loader, AC 655 crawler loader, AC #84 plow, Simplicity lawn tractors.
Mactractor View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mactractor Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 May 2015 at 5:25pm
We fitted thicker linings to the tractors with a lot of wear on the drums. It compensated for the drum wear
darrel in ND View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote darrel in ND Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 May 2015 at 10:10pm
Well, I put the drum through the electrolysis process, and it came out very satisfactory. Wire wheeled it up, and it is nice. Got another one of the parts in the electrolysis tank now. My throw out bearings seem to be very good and the lube lines look good. They appear to have some felt in them, which I presume wicks oil to them. I am getting very anxious to button this project up, but it looks like field work may take priority over it for a few weeks. Darrel
Ages Cat View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ages Cat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 May 2015 at 10:21pm
Get rid of the lube wicks and put grease fittings so you can lube the bearings with grease.  The wicks and hoses  had deteriorated  on the tractor we purchased and the bearings were  scrap metal.
Curt Anderson
HD3, HD5B, HD6E, HD6AG,HD6B dozer, I-400, 615, 616,(2) 620, 720, ACP25 lift truck, 1956 D Special Grader, AC 540 loader, AC 655 crawler loader, AC #84 plow, Simplicity lawn tractors.
darrel in ND View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote darrel in ND Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 May 2015 at 8:30am
Do you run a grease hose out of the clutch compartment to grease the bearing, or just take the cover off every so often and grease it? Darrel
Coke-in-MN View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Coke-in-MN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 May 2015 at 11:09am
run it out of cover - either drill case or cover to hold hose . 
unless there is a lot of wear on brake drum - let the ban polish it back shiny

Faith isn't a jump in the dark. It is a walk in the light. Faith is not guessing; it is knowing something.
"Challenges are what make life interesting; overcoming them is what makes life meaningful."
Ages Cat View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ages Cat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 May 2015 at 12:10pm
I drilled the cover and used an adapter from Mc Master Carr. The setup is essentially the same  as the HD6E that we have (1961 vintage). You use a standard grease gun hose, as the fitting on the bearing yoke is 1/8 NPT. Drill the cover to assure there is grease hose clearance around the brake drum. The plate is a little too thin to drill and tap 1/8" NPT from each side, thus the need for an adapter of some kind.
Curt Anderson
partswapper View Drop Down
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote partswapper Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Jul 2015 at 8:20pm
I am currently replacing steering clutches in my hd5b ready to put all new back but cant seem to find new lubricating tubes and wicks for the throw out bearings which are brand new by the way!
any idea where I can purchase tubes and wicks or alternative oiling methods?

Ages Cat View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ages Cat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Jul 2015 at 8:02am
Read the posts above regarding using grease rather than oil wicks from the transmission. The throwout bearing that were in our HD5 were completely destroyed because of lack of lubrication using the wick method. We installed grease hoses to the bearing carrier and drilled the cover for adapters to pass though them. Our HD6E uses grease to those bearings. The only way to go.
Curt Anderson
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic