This site is not affiliated with AGCO Inc., Duluth GA., Allis-Chalmers Co., Milwaukee, WI., or any surviving or related corporate entity. All trademarks remain the property of their respective owners. All information presented herein should be considered the result of an un-moderated public forum with no responsibility for its accuracy or usability assumed by the users and sponsors of this site or any corporate entity.
The Forum Parts and Services Unofficial Allis Store Tractor Shows Serial Numbers History
Forum Home Forum Home > Other Topics > Shops, Barns, Varmints, and Trucks
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

honey bees

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote nella(Pa) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: honey bees
    Posted: 02 May 2020 at 10:12am
I have had two swarms out of the same hive so far. How are other beekeepers  doing?
Sponsored Links

ac fleet View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ac fleet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 May 2020 at 11:13am
I quit messin with bees 50 years ago! ----That is one expensive hobby! lol!---just like old tractors!
http://machinebuildersnetwork.com/
HD6GTOM View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote HD6GTOM Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 May 2020 at 2:21pm
Decent. Old gal did not want to treat for mites last fall so we lost a few of the old ones. We are cleaned up and ready for more queens. She has 30 new queens ordered to come in next week. She gets the mite resistant queens from northern California. We started with these 2 years ago. They produce a lot of young and they made barrels of honey last fall. So far we have some honey supers on the ones we are not going to split.
Sugarmaker View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sugarmaker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 May 2020 at 7:57pm
I have not been doing good with helping my daughter with the bees. It is swarming weather coming up this week. I just need to take time and go do the work. Would like to do a walk away split on the hive that made it through the winter.
I am going to help a neighbor put out some swarm catching boxes. He has had good luck catching swarms.
The maple syrup projects have been keeping me busy too.
Regards,
 Chris
D17 1958 (NFE), WD45 1954 (NFE), WD 1952 (NFE), WD 1950 (WFE), Allis F-40 forklift, Allis CA, Allis D14, Ford Jubilee, Many IH Cub Cadets, 32 Ford Dump, 65 Comet.
JW in MO View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JW in MO Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 May 2020 at 8:41am
I wanted to put a hive out by the orchard and turn the lower garden in to a sweet clover patch.  One of my clients is a bee keeper so thankfully I went to him for advice.  About 2 minutes into his explanation he said something that woke me up, "You know you will be handling livestock."  I never heard much else he had to say after that, I got flashbacks of feeding in the winter, pulling calves at -10, cleaning out the chicken house, vaccinations, castrations etc., and that was the last time I thought about keeping bees.
Maximum use of available resources!
Ted J View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ted J Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 May 2020 at 3:10pm
Now that's funny JW!!  But yeah, a LOT of work or so I'm told.  I'd rather raise rattlesnakes than bees.  A LOT easier to hit with a gun.
"Allis-Express"
19?? WC / 1941 C / 1952 CA / 1956 WD45 / 1957 WD45 / 1958 D-17
LouSWPA View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote LouSWPA Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 May 2020 at 6:37pm
I remember 10-15-20 years ago there was a big scare, something to the effect that there was some sort of disease that was going to wipe out the honey bees in the world. What ever happened to that?
I am still confident of this;
I will see the goodness of the Lord in the land of the living.
Wait for the Lord;
be strong and take heart and wait for the Lord. Ps 27
desertjoe View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote desertjoe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 May 2020 at 10:05am

You know, Lou,,seems like I remember readin bout something like that,,but don't think anything ever come of it,,??
 Anyway,,I just read bout some scientists finding some of those extremely dangerous Japanese GIANT Hornets and they saying them things run bout 2" long and mean as ole Chask and ole Shameless put together. Article says they can and have killed people in Japan after 2-3 stings,,,,Altho,,the biggest and dangerous aspect is that they will attack a honey bee hive and kill them and take the larvae off to feed their own. They found those in Washington State just recently.
Sugarmaker View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sugarmaker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 May 2020 at 12:56pm
Folks,
The bee thing that has not been proven or un proven was/is CCD Colony Collapse Disorder. This year we lost 5 of 6 colonies. Just put out a swarm box to see if we can catch a swarm form the last colony. 

Regards,
 Chris
D17 1958 (NFE), WD45 1954 (NFE), WD 1952 (NFE), WD 1950 (WFE), Allis F-40 forklift, Allis CA, Allis D14, Ford Jubilee, Many IH Cub Cadets, 32 Ford Dump, 65 Comet.
Ray54 View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ray54 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 May 2020 at 1:14pm
Originally posted by LouSWPA LouSWPA wrote:

I remember 10-15-20 years ago there was a big scare, something to the effect that there was some sort of disease that was going to wipe out the honey bees in the world. What ever happened to that?

A mite of one kind or another ( veroa I think) . An the latest in colony collapse, the bees just disappear. the mite business is still around the same as our "new" virus will be around for ever more,you just deal with it. About 10,000 guesses as to why of the colony collapse. If your not a fan of bt in corn blame that. 

About 20 years ago the Africanized bees that really like to sting any and everything were come to California and kill us all. Had me scared cause they fly faster than I can run. Had a story of a rancher fixing his fence in Texas. The wire getting moved a 1/4 mile away brought them after the guy and killed him. Well they still have not got here,I guess just to much BS all over this place even kills killer bees.LOL 

A professional bee man is come to find hiding places for truck loads of hives this week yet. Put them out here in the brush away from all the pesticides in more populated and productive farming areas. So I can ask questions if you want more detail.  
desertjoe View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote desertjoe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 May 2020 at 1:38pm

Chit,,Ray I plumb forgot you lived out there on west coast,,,Wink
 Anyway,,ask that dude what he has heard of the Japanese Giant Hornet,,?
LouSWPA View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote LouSWPA Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 May 2020 at 4:03pm
Originally posted by Ray54 Ray54 wrote:

Originally posted by LouSWPA LouSWPA wrote:

A mite of one kind or another ( veroa I think) . An the latest in colony collapse, the bees just disappear. the mite business is still around the same as our "new" virus will be around for ever more,you just deal with it. About 10,000 guesses as to why of the colony collapse. If your not a fan of bt in corn blame that. 

About 20 years ago the Africanized bees that really like to sting any and everything were come to California and kill us all. Had me scared cause they fly faster than I can run. Had a story of a rancher fixing his fence in Texas. The wire getting moved a 1/4 mile away brought them after the guy and killed him. Well they still have not got here,I guess just to much BS all over this place even kills killer bees.LOL 

A professional bee man is come to find hiding places for truck loads of hives this week yet. Put them out here in the brush away from all the pesticides in more populated and productive farming areas. So I can ask questions if you want more detail.  

Thanks Ray. Don't go out of your way on my account, I was just curious. I just remember all the doom and gloom many years back about there will be no honey in x no of years, 'cause something was killing the bees
I am still confident of this;
I will see the goodness of the Lord in the land of the living.
Wait for the Lord;
be strong and take heart and wait for the Lord. Ps 27
HD6GTOM View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote HD6GTOM Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 May 2020 at 9:08pm
Guys the problems are still out there. Now we got small hive Beatle moving in to this area. Mites are becoming less of a problem. They have developed newer strains of queen bees.   Their off spring can now recognize the egg cell has a mite egg in it and they will clean it out. They are working for us. As far as BT corn, yes the pollen from it kills bees. The bees will pack the hives with it in the fall and in late Feb or March the bees will start using the poisen pollen. Everything in the hive will be dead within a 2 week period. This has been proven thru University tests within the past 5 years. The new renter across the road, a seed dealer, came to me and assured me his company has also ran these tests and those tests show the same results as the University tests. He also assured me he will never plant BT corn or beans on those fields.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic