This site is not affiliated with AGCO Inc., Duluth GA., Allis-Chalmers Co., Milwaukee, WI., or any surviving or related corporate entity. All trademarks remain the property of their respective owners. All information presented herein should be considered the result of an un-moderated public forum with no responsibility for its accuracy or usability assumed by the users and sponsors of this site or any corporate entity.
The Forum Parts and Services Unofficial Allis Store Tractor Shows Serial Numbers History
Forum Home Forum Home > Other Topics > Shops, Barns, Varmints, and Trucks
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Hone Defense Shot Size

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dave H Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Hone Defense Shot Size
    Posted: 02 Jan 2023 at 5:27pm
I finally decided on #4 Buck and re-stuffed the chambers today.  Yeah I know bigger is always better Wink but went the 4 Buck route after doing some reading and conferring.

I bet the consensus will be OO Buck,

Anybody out there agree with my choice?
Sponsored Links

DMiller View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DMiller Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Jan 2023 at 5:31pm
Mine are loaded 00 3”, intend to Leave a Mark.
Tbone95 View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tbone95 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Jan 2023 at 5:42pm
Originally posted by Dave H Dave H wrote:

I finally decided on #4 Buck and re-stuffed the chambers today.  Yeah I know bigger is always better Wink but went the 4 Buck route after doing some reading and conferring.

I know I wouldn’t want to be on the receiving end of it. 12 gauge I presume?

Edited by Tbone95 - 02 Jan 2023 at 5:43pm
JoeM(GA) View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JoeM(GA) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Jan 2023 at 6:13pm
four rounds of 0000 buck followed by a rifled slug, second load is all 00 buck
Allis Express North Georgia
41 WC,48 UC Cane,7-G's,
Ford 345C TLB
jaybmiller View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jaybmiller Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Jan 2023 at 7:17pm
use whatever you like....
....I prefer 5 deer slugs
3 D-14s,A-C forklift, B-112
Kubota BX23S lil' TOOT( The Other Orange Tractor)

Never burn your bridges, unless you can walk on water
KJCHRIS View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KJCHRIS Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Jan 2023 at 7:43pm
IF happen to be without handgun in holster. My personal choice is 12 ga. 3" #2 shot, I've 3 in dads JC Higgins in shop and 4 in grandpas Stevens @ house. The guns pre-date WWII. And I'll gaurantee as loaded they'll defend me in my house or shop. And no Hi-dollar defense attorney is going to say I used a special load designed to purposely kill or maim an innocent person that meant me no harm. 
AC 200, CAH, AC185D bareback, AC 180D bareback, D17 III, WF. D17 Blackbar grill, NF. D15 SFW. Case 1175 CAH, Bobcat 543B,
exSW View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote exSW Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Jan 2023 at 8:56pm
Winchester Model 97 riot. #4's at ten yards. Any questions?

Edited by exSW - 02 Jan 2023 at 8:58pm
Learning AC...slowly
klinemar View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote klinemar Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Jan 2023 at 10:07pm
Depends on inside or outside of house. Inside #4 shot will kill someone real fast. Outside within 50 yards BB on up to 00 Buck. I'm not a fan of 00 Buck. I have seen deer hit with up to 3 shots run a long ways. I like # 4 Buck. More pellets and still 24 caliber. I have shot raccoons with number 5 Turkey loads and that works! Most all of my shotgun loads are 3 inch. If I had to defend my home an AR 15 with 30 round magazine would be my first choice.
LouSWPA View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote LouSWPA Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Jan 2023 at 10:59pm
Originally posted by Dave H Dave H wrote:

I don't disagree with it. Deadly enough at very short range, but although it does not fully mitigate the danger of passing through walls, it does lower the odds some. Is it the best choice....I really don't know.
I am still confident of this;
I will see the goodness of the Lord in the land of the living.
Wait for the Lord;
be strong and take heart and wait for the Lord. Ps 27
Walker View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Walker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Jan 2023 at 11:07pm
Nothing says I should have stayed home tonight better than looking down at half a 31 inch arrow sticking out of your chest.
DaveKamp View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DaveKamp Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Jan 2023 at 11:59pm
The 12 gauge shotgun has several primary advantages as a basic home defender.

First being, the sound of the action cycling into battery... it is unmistakeable, and will often turn away opportunists.

Second- directivity - lack of necessity to aim... particularly if you're using a shorter barrel cylinder-bore, you don't need to be precise to make contact

Third - muzzle energy.  There is no rifle or handgun that has as much muzzle energy as a 12 gauge shotgun.  It won't present the highest velocity, and the energy will be distributed across separated projectiles, but the net energy is still far greater overall.

Fourth - control - being a longarm, it is not nearly as easy to redirect or turn a shotgun onto it's operator.  A pistol is rather easy once a contestant is within arm's reach.

Fifth - Limitation.  A shotgun's projectiles can be sized small enough so that, while they may pass through a wall, will have lost significant energy in the front and back layers, to prevent them  from being nearly as dangerous to lives and property on the opposite side, while still being very effective on the FRONT side.

#4 is nothing to snort at.  000 buckshot may be bigger and heavier, but it doesn't take a big pellet to be effective.  More often than not, a similar charge weight with smaller projectiles will hit hard enough to send a target backwards enough to disable it, even if there's body-armor in place- that muzzle energy is doing the job.

#4 is a good general-purpose load, it will be equally effective on small or large, ground or avian, and it will relieve tires, radiators, and glazing of vehicles.  If one doesn't feel it sufficient, I recommend loading a deer slug first, then some 000 buck, then #4 shot, then rock salt, and a bird bomb (if you can still find one).  When an emergency circumstance arises, either reject or rapidly discharge the rounds you feel unnecessary, to get to the one you'll need.  The act of flinging out the flash-bang, rock salt, and birdshot will be a significant attention-getter before the heavies come to visit.Wink
Ten Amendments, Ten Commandments, and one Golden Rule solve most every problem. Citrus hand-cleaner with Pumice does the rest.
DaveKamp View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DaveKamp Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Jan 2023 at 12:09am
Originally posted by Walker Walker wrote:

Nothing says I should have stayed home tonight better than looking down at half a 31 inch arrow sticking out of your chest.

The mere appearance of antiquated barbarism will frequently convince a miscreant of unwise ventures.  Crossbows, compounds, and longbows work... but stepping out the door with a 28-oz framing hammer tends to incite self-defication.  If you're well exercised with the casual pastime of throwing axes, a quick flick of that hammer will prove deadly. 

If it's a close-range contest, a quarterstaff will disarm, cripple, blind, paralyze, dispatch, or all of the above, in quick succession.

Just don't run while playing Bagpipes-  you might get kilt.
Ten Amendments, Ten Commandments, and one Golden Rule solve most every problem. Citrus hand-cleaner with Pumice does the rest.
exSW View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote exSW Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Jan 2023 at 7:56am
Sixth,effectiveness against multiple assailants.

Edited by exSW - 03 Jan 2023 at 7:57am
Learning AC...slowly
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic