This site is not affiliated with AGCO Inc., Duluth GA., Allis-Chalmers Co., Milwaukee, WI., or any surviving or related corporate entity. All trademarks remain the property of their respective owners. All information presented herein should be considered the result of an un-moderated public forum with no responsibility for its accuracy or usability assumed by the users and sponsors of this site or any corporate entity.
The Forum Parts and Services Unofficial Allis Store Tractor Shows Serial Numbers History
Forum Home Forum Home > Other Topics > Shops, Barns, Varmints, and Trucks
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Home heat control.

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
 Rating: Topic Rating: 1 Votes, Average 5.00  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
DMiller View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DMiller Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Home heat control.
    Posted: 17 Jul 2021 at 7:48am
Maybe I am just too old for 'Cool' philosophy, grew up in NON Air Conditioned houses and in IL or MO high humidity heat.  Slept as a youth under the steady breeze of 'window fan air circulation'.  Now Enganears are touting "New" technologic breakthroughs to eliminate the need for AC where our old houses were nowhere near to well insulated or climate tight.

We enjoy sleeping with our windows open thru late spring or early in fall with a box fan in another room pulling warm house air OUT and cooler air in thru our bedroom, sleep like a baby.  Do have allergies and Do have to dust more as well sneeze some more but manage well and keep house cool thru a night where button it up come morning keeping the Cool In and the Heat Out.  Grandma taught me that as a child and still a memory today.

Old School still works, no real "New" technology necessary.
Sponsored Links

jaybmiller View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jaybmiller Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Jul 2021 at 8:13am
so what are the 'new' techs they're promoting ???
3 D-14s,A-C forklift, B-112
Kubota BX23S lil' TOOT( The Other Orange Tractor)

Never burn your bridges, unless you can walk on water
steve(ill) View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote steve(ill) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Jul 2021 at 10:31am
i will stick with 70 degree temp and 55% humidity... anything else is TOO HIGH !
Like them all, but love the "B"s.
plummerscarin View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote plummerscarin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Jul 2021 at 12:56pm
A friend once had a house of cement block construction. Whole house fan in 2nd floor ceiling pulling air through the house to exit through attic vents. No A/C but was always comfortable in spite of Iowa heat and humidity
DMiller View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DMiller Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Jul 2021 at 2:43pm
Cannot locate that article back, just a lot of Hoopla over 'New' blockhouse designs, Face them to the North instead of south, placed on Top of a hill for breeze or into side of hill for insulation.  Promoting bigger windows then heavier curtains.  NOTHING "New" to any of it, just New to the idiots that wrote it.  

Great Aunt's farm house surrounded by big Elms(Piss Elms but good shade), situated close to a draw that came up from the woodlot so breeze stayed cool.  Grandmother's house Big maples for high shade, BIG Windows and strong window fan, if got really bad went to basement as stayed 10 degrees cooler.  Always windows open by 9pm, fan running until 7am fan off windows all closed and curtains drawn to 'Save the Cool'.  Still remember the bleach smell in our white sheets, changed every two to three days so sweaty odor did not affect sleeping, air dried on a line behind the house.
BIL bought a Earth Contact home on the 80s, never turned on AC, just a steady running dehumidifier and attic whole house fan to keep mold from growing, next to a pond and surrounded on North side with a grove of trees, down in a valley.
nella(Pa) View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote nella(Pa) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Jul 2021 at 3:09pm
Originally posted by DMiller DMiller wrote:

Great Aunt's farm house surrounded by big Elms(Piss Elms but good shade), situated close to a draw that came up from the woodlot so breeze stayed cool.  Grandmother's house Big maples for high shade, BIG Windows and strong window fan, if got really bad went to basement as stayed 10 degrees cooler.  Always windows open by 9pm, fan running until 7am fan off windows all closed and curtains drawn to 'Save the Cool'.  Still remember the bleach smell in our white sheets, changed every two to three days so sweaty odor did not affect sleeping, air dried on a line behind the house.
BIL bought a Earth Contact home on the 80s, never turned on AC, just a steady running dehumidifier and attic whole house fan to keep mold from growing, next to a pond and surrounded on North side with a grove of trees, down in a valley.

Now that is using too much common sense!Clap

Edited by nella(Pa) - 17 Jul 2021 at 3:11pm
fixer1958 View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote fixer1958 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Jul 2021 at 5:56am
Father in law had a radiator mounted outside a window and pumped cistern water through it with a window fan blowing in. Stayed nice in there.
He has since torn the old house down and build a new one with central air and doesn't turn it on unless it's 85 out.

I grew up without ac and didn't have it till I moved out. Didn't like it much then and left the windows open most of the time with a fan. 
My preference has changed when I started to get some age on.
DMiller View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DMiller Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Jul 2021 at 6:01am
Guess is all in the desire of the individual.  Still back to the OP, seems Old is New again and they claim it as 'Innovative'.
jaybmiller View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jaybmiller Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Jul 2021 at 6:32am
re: Promoting bigger windows then heavier curtains.
hahaha...
bigger windows cost more upfront(framing, etc.) , INCREASE heat/cool loads (lousy R value) and well WHO is going to CLEAN them ? Nobody wants/usues 'heavy' curtains, well no one I know...
New build down the road has big windows,come to 14" above floor. PITA for furniture placement and storage as windows are 6 feet wide, TWO heat ducts( 6 ") under the windows ! So at least the HVAC guy did his math....
The new build owner REMOVED 2 windows,again while it looked good in the picture, who NEEDS a 3x5 window in a closet ??, who  NEEDS THREE  3x5 windows in a 10x12 bedroom ?

Reminds me the new build next door ( the 'contractors' place)..... the mechanical room is at BEST, 6 x10. I'm wondering what 'shoehorn' will be used to get HVAC(100K/2T), pressure tank, water softener,PEX manifolds,ERV system, iron removal system(no iron in water BTW..),RO system,UV unit, sumppumps in(battery backup not though), condensate pump, dang almost forgot water heater(big one !)

3 D-14s,A-C forklift, B-112
Kubota BX23S lil' TOOT( The Other Orange Tractor)

Never burn your bridges, unless you can walk on water
Lars(wi) View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lars(wi) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Jul 2021 at 8:26am
House the wife and I purchased a few months ago in Coleman TX, has the high ceilings(10ft), and the drop down doors on the ceiling that were opened to let the heat rise up and out. Those have been painted shut over the decades. House has the windows in the original parts of the structure way higher off the floor than what modern houses of today have, I really like that. HVAC is in the attic, two of the baths are in the same hallway, the 3rd bath is in an addition on the far corner of the house, water heater is in one of the baths, we put an RO under the kitchen sink.
Walls in the original structure are ‘lath & plaster’, but I gotta tell ya, I have never seen plaster that rock hard in my life. There is no way to pound a nail into it, I need a masonry bit on a drill in order to hang anything on the walls.

Edited by Lars(wi) - 18 Jul 2021 at 8:28am
I tried to follow the science, but it was not there. I then followed the money, and that’s where I found the science.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic