This site is not affiliated with AGCO Inc., Duluth GA., Allis-Chalmers Co., Milwaukee, WI., or any surviving or related corporate entity. All trademarks remain the property of their respective owners. All information presented herein should be considered the result of an un-moderated public forum with no responsibility for its accuracy or usability assumed by the users and sponsors of this site or any corporate entity.
The Forum Parts and Services Unofficial Allis Store Tractor Shows Serial Numbers History
Forum Home Forum Home > Other Topics > Shops, Barns, Varmints, and Trucks
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Hog Killin Weather

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ken in Texas Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Hog Killin Weather
    Posted: 12 Nov 2018 at 12:53pm
Got my trap baited and set.   A sow and her pigs have been eatin corn outside and inside the trap for the past 3 nights in a row. I expect to have some live pork in the trap if a damn coon or possum don't trip it first.
A freeze is forecast for Tuesday and Wednesday nights.
Sponsored Links

Grayray View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Grayray Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Nov 2018 at 1:32pm
Stan IL&TN View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Stan IL&TN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Nov 2018 at 1:34pm
Thanks to you both now I'm wanting a bacon cheeseburger.😕
1957 WD45 dad's first AC

1968 one-seventy

1956 F40 Ferguson
Dave H View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dave H Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Nov 2018 at 1:35pm
Dang Ken, I would love to have one of those critters in my freezer.
Ken in Texas View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ken in Texas Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Nov 2018 at 2:18pm
That is where they will be headed if caught.  Meat is dark and really Tasty. Tender and juicy too.  All natural . No antibiotics
 Some day I would like to roast a whole small young hog on a spit over a pile of hot post oak coals. Turning it ever so slow until the meat falls off the bones
DougG View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DougG Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Nov 2018 at 2:49pm
Are those wild things tasty to eat ? Have heard of nasty stories on that meat
desertjoe View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote desertjoe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Nov 2018 at 3:42pm
Originally posted by DougG DougG wrote:

Are those wild things tasty to eat ? Have heard of nasty stories on that meat

I've never ate wild hog although I expect they are no different than other meat,,it's all in how you take care of the meat after the .22 in the center of the head,,,no different than a cow. Of course a tough old,,I mean OLD boar might tend to be a little "tastee"  
 I'll bet one of them yearlings would be many wonderfuls smoked for 10-12 hours,,,,MMmmmmmmmmClap
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ken in Texas Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Nov 2018 at 5:33pm
JOE
    I calls em Teenagers.  I caught 4 Teenage Boy Pigs all the same size all at once. Made quite a job for myself.  Sure glad it was cold enough to let them hang skinned and gutted overnight .  They cut up so much better when real cold.
     Can't wait to check my trap at first light.

Edited by Ken in Texas - 12 Nov 2018 at 5:35pm
chaskaduo View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote chaskaduo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Nov 2018 at 6:05pm
Them Stories could be from people that get the pigs all worked up in a frenzy (heated they say) then kill em, and if they do that they probably don't know about the scent glands either. Either situation will mess up even domestic grain raised hogs.
1938 B, 79 Dynamark 11/36 6spd, 95 Weed-Eater 16hp, 2010 Bolens 14hp
Hubert (Ga)engine7 View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hubert (Ga)engine7 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Nov 2018 at 7:05pm
Picked up four nice ones on one of my trail cameras, maybe I will get to put one or two in the freezer if they will show up at the right time. I've got to learn how to skin a hog, we always scalded ours and scraped the hair off when I was growing up. Getting them all stirred up before putting them down and then piercing the scent glands is guaranteed to ruin the meat.
Just an old country boy saved by the grace of God.
desertjoe View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote desertjoe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Nov 2018 at 7:34pm
 Yeah,,Hubert,,thas kinda like shootin a deer that has been run all over the mountain dodgin them 30-30 bullets from them curtain climbers that only manage to kill the mountains. One of the boys shot a nice buck one year that we heard all kinds of shootin on the other side of the mountain,,,and when thet poor old Buck came over the ridge,,his tongue was hangin so long he kept trippin over it when Jerry finally shot it. That  thing was so adrenalined up the meat was not fit to eat. The Boys learned a good lesson that day. 
shameless dude View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote shameless dude Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Nov 2018 at 10:05pm
Hormel company butchers ALOT of old boars cuz they can usually buy them from the auctions for pennies on the dollar. as soon as I open one of them packages...I just toss it in the garbage! now other companies are starting tro do that, cept Jimmy Dean! i'll take a gilt or sow anyday!
Ted J View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ted J Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Nov 2018 at 10:55pm
Ken, you should try a pit.  We used to do that every year for our wild game feed.  Dug a hole in the ground, put in some green limbs and then coals.  Then more green limbs and then bury it.  Got it started and let it go for 18 - 24 hrs.  Man was that good!!
"Allis-Express"
19?? WC / 1941 C / 1952 CA / 1956 WD45 / 1957 WD45 / 1958 D-17
chaskaduo View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote chaskaduo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Nov 2018 at 10:09am
Hormel also pumps the pork with some kind of sodiumdiekillyourassoff solution and calls it Always Tender. Open the package and it reeks of sulfur. I avoid it like the plague. Thing is they are not necessarily the frugalist buy.
Dave H View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dave H Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Nov 2018 at 11:39am
Ken, how difficult is it to skin one out?  Does the hide separate off quite easily?

When I grew up, the domestic hogs were always scalded and the hair scraped off.  Same as Hubert.
allisrutledge View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote allisrutledge Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Nov 2018 at 1:06pm
Remove his rear bumpers and feed him about 2 months and the strong scent and taste is gone. Good sausage is worth the wait.
Allis Chalmers still exist in my mind and barns
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ken in Texas Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Nov 2018 at 3:16pm
One I caught on Camera last  night had big tusks sticken outa his jaws. He never entered the trap.   A smaller one went in but missed triggering the Drop Gate.  I rebaited and reset again for tonight. 
I wish I could find another box of Hog Melons. All that's left of the first 50 is pieces rind scattered about.
Dave H View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dave H Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Nov 2018 at 3:33pm
what the hey is a hog melon?  Confused
shameless dude View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote shameless dude Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Nov 2018 at 4:51pm
you can scrape the hair off Hubert?
chaskaduo View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote chaskaduo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Nov 2018 at 5:39pm
Is a hairless Hubert is a Huey?
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hubert (Ga)engine7 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Nov 2018 at 6:22pm
Originally posted by shameless dude shameless dude wrote:

you can scrape the hair off Hubert?

Dip them in a barrel or kettle of scalding hot water, works better if you throw a few ashes out of the fireplace in it, and then use something flat like a hoe with a short or no handle to do the scraping. Grandpa had a BIG cast iron kettle built into a brick fire box that worked great. The top was just over knee high and easy to slide a hog off the trailer into the kettle. Had one hog so big that Dad had to use the WD and crane to handle it.
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hubert (Ga)engine7 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Nov 2018 at 6:23pm
Originally posted by chaskaduo chaskaduo wrote:

Is a hairless Hubert is a Huey?

The Huey was what I rode on when I had a "high and tight."
DiyDave View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DiyDave Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Nov 2018 at 6:38pm
I can remember scaldin and scrapin hogs, almost every weekend, when the weather was nippy, as a kid.  We hadda ole bath tub, with a fire pit dug under it, 2 guys dip the hog, then scrape the hair off, gut it, then a ride up to the garage, to hang till cool, then up to the basement to cut it up, and use everything but the squeal!

Do you remember these?

[TUBE]KXtR-CaK6p4[/TUBE]
copyrite1972 View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote copyrite1972 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Nov 2018 at 8:10pm
Father in law told me his Dad would take pigs up and scald them in the hot springs to scrape'em when he was a kid. I helped a friend butcher 3 of them little Kune-kune pigs (like little bacon bits!) we skinned'em, gave me a whole new respect for the butcher that skins our real sized pigs! Clap
D15 Series II
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ken in Texas Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Nov 2018 at 1:34am
a HOG MELON is a watermelon that for any reason is not fit for sale. Culls. Pigs and cows love them. I have cut and eaten a few myself.  They are usually Free for the taking from local growers.
allisrutledge View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote allisrutledge Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Nov 2018 at 8:20am
Surely you eat the middle out of them hog mellons
Allis Chalmers still exist in my mind and barns
john(MI) View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote john(MI) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Nov 2018 at 8:46am
I remember dad doing hogs.  He got post of boiling water and poured it on the hog.  We didn't really have the resources for a scaldron.  The last one he did was a sow, weighed 400 pounds.  It had a heart attack and fell off the chute when he was loading it to take to the auction barn. 

I remember taking my first wife home for a visit.  About half way down the walk she stopped, turned to me and turned green.  She motioned over her shoulder and there was a half hog hanging from the clothes line pole.  She didn't eat pork for a few years after that.  My dad made the best breakfast sausage I ever ate, and mom made the best donuts in the lard.
D14, D17, 5020, 612H, CASE 446
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ken in Texas Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Nov 2018 at 8:50am
Trap was tripped early by coons.  This happens allot.   Camera shows 2 coons playing in the trap in the first 3 pictures last night.   After the trap got tripped I could see at least 3 maybe 4 hogs scarfing up corn just outside the closed drop gate in the next 50 or so exposures .
    I hear wetting the corn with Diesel keeps the coons out of it.   Pigs don't seem to mind the taste or smell of corn wet with diesel.   Time to try it and see.  I sure hate missing the hogs because they can't get into the trap.

Edited by Ken in Texas - 14 Nov 2018 at 8:54am
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ken in Texas Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Nov 2018 at 9:43am
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ken in Texas Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Nov 2018 at 9:48am
OOPS. Forgot to reset to correct Date and Time.  Hogs on the outside looking in last night. Bacon and Sausage on the hoof.

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic