This site is not affiliated with AGCO Inc., Duluth GA., Allis-Chalmers Co., Milwaukee, WI., or any surviving or related corporate entity. All trademarks remain the property of their respective owners. All information presented herein should be considered the result of an un-moderated public forum with no responsibility for its accuracy or usability assumed by the users and sponsors of this site or any corporate entity.
The Forum Parts and Services Unofficial Allis Store Tractor Shows Serial Numbers History
Forum Home Forum Home > Allis Chalmers > Farm Equipment
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

"History" lesson?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234 5>
Author
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dan73 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Aug 2015 at 9:32am
Ya I really am not looking forward to repairing my 5240 when I bought it i want 100hp 4 wd heat and AC in the cab so I could use it year around. I really wish there was something better to choose from but at the time around here there where just no other good choices for those options.   And yes I needed the ac I have always had a problem with heat stroke I passed out twice as a kid and have been close a few other times. A cab with no ac just won't work for me.
Sponsored Links

Chas View Drop Down
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Chas Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Aug 2015 at 9:48am
Grew up with Allis tractors, then Dad had a couple Fords. I have had a couple Agcos but have switched to Deere now. Agco,ruined it for me, poor mgmt.,poor dealer support.
BrianC View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BrianC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Aug 2015 at 11:12am
30 years ago, all the US tractor makers died off, except for John Deere and Caterpillar. Maybe MF lived on also, but that was a UK company?

Question, if my JD 4020 started jumping out of 3rd gear, can I get
new transmission parts from JD, or am I stuck going 3rd party or salvage? I don't know how well they support their old stuff.
Do you get a lot of "no longer available" from JD?
Red Ranger View Drop Down
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Red Ranger Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Aug 2015 at 12:48pm
In my county, 190s weren't the end, but definitely hurt AC bad. In the early '60s you could find a WD, 45, or D17 on nearly every farm, and some had all 3, AC was a very strong #2, right behind IH, by the mid '60s that was starting to change JD was coming on strong, and by the late '60s they had completely ran them over, and were gaining fast on IH, so I'd say yes 190s, and their reputation was a major factor.
SHAMELESS View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SHAMELESS Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Aug 2015 at 2:44pm
I love my 190xt...cept for the gittin on it part...my legs are gittin weaker with age...I almost need an elevator! whew! hoping to gits one of them extra steps that someone sells on this site! (someday)!
CrestonM View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CrestonM Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Aug 2015 at 3:14pm
Originally posted by Alberta Phil Alberta Phil wrote:

The 60 year old greens are all shined up and sittin' in shows or collector's buildings.
Because that's what they do best, right?? LOL

I've wondered several times why they just can't keep building the good ones like the 7000 and 8000 series, heck, even the 4W-305's. And sorry, but the JD's of the era were pretty good too it seems. My granddad has a 4430 that has been through hell (none of his equipment is serviced regularly and none of it has ever been barn-kept) but, aside from kicking a rod once (which was part of a recall) it's been trouble free! In fact, ALL the old ones pre-1990 or so are all good in some respects! This can't be said now days! A friend of mine's dad bought a new New Holland "Boomer" series tractor. It has 60 hours on it now and it has been in the shop several times, so they just kinda gave up on it and use their D17 series 1 for everything! And basically ever tractor made now days that's under 70 hp or so is powered by a Yanmar engine! (The only exception I know of is Kubota, who manufactures their own engines.)
CrestonM View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CrestonM Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Aug 2015 at 3:16pm
Originally posted by BrianC BrianC wrote:

30 years ago, all the US tractor makers died off, except for John Deere and Caterpillar. Maybe MF lived on also, but that was a UK company?

Question, if my JD 4020 started jumping out of 3rd gear, can I get
new transmission parts from JD, or am I stuck going 3rd party or salvage? I don't know how well they support their old stuff.
Do you get a lot of "no longer available" from JD?

Last I knew, my local Deere dealer stocked parts for the 95 combine! Just happened to be in there once and asked the parts guy how far back they went. Somewhere in the 60's.
timr View Drop Down
Silver Level
Silver Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote timr Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Aug 2015 at 3:36pm
As a kid I heard the same thing about the 190 and the D19 having issues that set allis back. I know better now and wouldn't be afraid to own wither. I also remember having a discussion in one of my Ag classes about Deere's lawn and garden division being the key factor to their sustainability in the 80's and had been their most profitable arm for some time. Ford was slow to build a 100 horse tractor, stuck with the jerkomatic(selecto-speed) for too long, and didn't come out with a 2 speed partial power shift until 70 but there are a ton of hundred and 2-5000 tractors out there so it's easy to get the perception they only built small tractors.
CTuckerNWIL View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CTuckerNWIL Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Aug 2015 at 4:19pm
Originally posted by Dan73 Dan73 wrote:

The Chinese stock market lost 1/3 if it's value a little while back and the talking heads all called it a minor correction.   Greece is just the first nation to realize it can't pay it's bills. Once once the global stock markets have a few more of these minor corrections and a few more countries realize that they can't hope to ever pay off the bad economic choices the world has made since WW II we will see what a real depression feels like. The big company farms will move to China or anywhere else they can produce food without worrying about the environment or the quality of the food poor people and city people will eat it. Smart People in the country will buy local food from small farmers and you will see alot of old iron running around smaller fields again. It will be the farming of the 50s and 60s with a focus on quality and organic techniques. The farms that survive will be ok while the rest of the economy will be a mess. Grampa always said the great depression didn't real effect them much having a small farm on the east coast.

The rusty old equipment being used will be pulled by 4 legged horses cause NOTHING with electrical wiring will work. Shocked
http://www.ae-ta.com
Lena 1935 WC12xxx, Willie 1951 CA6xx Dad bought new, 1954WD45 PS, 1960 D17 NF
Dan73 View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dan73 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Aug 2015 at 4:34pm
No we will just all be putting the points back and taking out those electronic upgrade kits.... having been a controls engineer for years I can tell you that the talk about electronics and magnetic pulses is over rated poorly built circuit boards will overload everything else is just fine. I worked with lasers which had massive electromagnetic fields pulsing all The time and yes you could fry something like a digital meter inside the laser cabinet but the boards built for it where fine.
Mike Plotner View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mike Plotner Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Aug 2015 at 4:43pm
like grandpa said, you cant beat a old diesel or a magneto
2001 Gleaner R42, 1978 7060, 1977 7000, 1966 190 XT, 1966 D-17 Series IV and 1952 WD and more keep my farm running!
45 turboa- View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 45 turboa- Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Aug 2015 at 5:03pm
I don't believe the 190 or the XT hurt A-C all that much it all fell on management I mean poor management. A-C was spread way to thin with all their diversity.John Deere on the other hand only had tractors and farm equipment.I've talked to a lot of ex A-C employees they said if they would of took the pres. out back and educated him or worse they would still be building tractors.Allis had a bright future if they would of continued.
turbocharged
BrianC View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BrianC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Aug 2015 at 5:37pm
History- What happened to White tractors? I think White made it through the mid '80's shutdowns. But what happened next. Are they now kaput?
Dan73 View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dan73 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Aug 2015 at 5:41pm
White was bought by agco in the 90s
timr View Drop Down
Silver Level
Silver Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote timr Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Aug 2015 at 9:09pm
Originally posted by BrianC BrianC wrote:

History- What happened to White tractors? I think White made it through the mid '80's shutdowns. But what happened next. Are they now kaput?

After being contracted to build the 9000 series duetz allis tractors it was one of the first purchases agco made since they needed tractors to sell as well as getting the white planter line and the new idea line that white owned. I had read White had three different owners in the eighties and alot of financial problems.
victoryallis View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote victoryallis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Aug 2015 at 9:21pm
Originally posted by WDman1951 WDman1951 wrote:

Jd people will be jd people lol case sucks that must have been why they were able to aquire a huge tractor mogul like ih right and allis had the harvester market corned for almost the entire life of the all crop 

Only reason they were able to acquire IH was the Tenneco money. Tenneco was very diversified buddy worked for a Tenneco subsidiary making cardboard boxes.
8030 and 8050MFWD, 7580, 3 6080's, 160, 7060, 175, heirloom D17, Deere 8760
Lonn View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lonn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Aug 2015 at 5:28am
Originally posted by Dave in il Dave in il wrote:

Besides you really can't reason with someone who thinks he already has all the right answers.
That's why no one argues with me Big smile
-- --- .... .- -- -- .- -.. / .-- .- ... / .- / -- ..- .-. -.. . .-. .. -. --. / -.-. .... .. .-.. -.. / .-. .- .--. .. ... -
Wink
I am a Russian Bot
Lonn View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lonn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Aug 2015 at 5:51am
Back on to the 190 gas engines. The early gassers did have problems breaking the top of the pistons off. Later they changed the piston and the problem stopped. The XT diesels tore up rear ends because the rear end was first developed to run behind a straight 190 with 77 hp. Then the 190XT shows up and the early literature talks about pulling the same plow as the 190 but pulling it faster. Farmers were slow to learn high speed farming and instead put that power to the ground pulling a bigger plow then a straight 190 could pull. The farmers also discovered that a turbocharged engine could easily be turned up from 95 pto hp to 110 to 130 and even 150 hp. A 4020 had no turbo so couldn't be turned up like that. Lots or XTs came from the factory with 110 to 120 pto hp. 

The D19 was an OK tractor but had cylinder head problems carried over from the old Buda design and had IMO the poorest hydraulics you could find. It was also a 1950's look and handled like a 50's tractor. Don't get me wrong, I like my 19. It's comfortable and since mine is a gasser it has no engines problems but by the time the D19 showed up it was already obsolete, except for the turbocharging.

That's my take.
-- --- .... .- -- -- .- -.. / .-- .- ... / .- / -- ..- .-. -.. . .-. .. -. --. / -.-. .... .. .-.. -.. / .-. .- .--. .. ... -
Wink
I am a Russian Bot
Dan73 View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dan73 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Aug 2015 at 6:03am
Thanks that makes alot of since I remember hearing stories of my grandfather slamming the motor back together in the driveway before the dealer came to pickup the tractor. Never really made since to me as a motor job is a big deal. I can see how he could have swapped a piston quick.   I am sure he got it when they first came out.
DaSquatch View Drop Down
Silver Level
Silver Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DaSquatch Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Aug 2015 at 6:50am
Back in the late 80's I met a man at saw hammering school who had just bought a saw and cutter shop, after working for a number of years in tractor factories.  He was probably about 50 years old then, so I guess was building tractors in the 1960's and 70's.  International, and Case as I remember.

He was kind of bitter about having lost his job and would sit around in the evening waxing nostalgic about having been paid big dollars to bolt on a few tractor seats a day.  Union work, so if bolting on seats was your job, that's all you did.  He also had fun stories about the soccer tournaments they had with forklifts and 55 gallon drums in the warehouse, and other shenanigans that made good listening.  He bristled up something fierce if you suggested to him that those sorts of things were why so much production had been switched to overseas. 

Lots of American industry got caught napping when japan, china, and lots of other countries didn't have the capability to do quality work, at least in the volume the American market required.  Now, with the proper investment, good stuff can be built anywhere.  My employer bought a John Deere 5045E a couple years ago.  So far I've found American, Japanese, Chinese, and Indian parts on it.
SHAMELESS View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SHAMELESS Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Aug 2015 at 7:34am
it used to be that if we saw a tool or small machine that was made in china, we usually passed it up because of poor quality...now...we usually buy it because USA made stuff is poorer quality! sad isn't it?
Dan73 View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dan73 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Aug 2015 at 7:38am
Having lived in Taiwan for a year and a half I will still pass on everything maid in china. They really don't care about quality. They might k ow how to do it right but they don't care to.
DaSquatch View Drop Down
Silver Level
Silver Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DaSquatch Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Aug 2015 at 8:41am
I have no personal experience with Mahindra tractors, but a guy I know who works at a multi-brand dealer, (and services almost everything, at least sometimes) swears that if he was spending his own money on a new tractor, he'd buy one.  Claims they rarely see one in for repairs not caused by abuse.

He says it while wearing a very old, beat up, John Deere hat!
Dan73 View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dan73 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Aug 2015 at 8:53am
I did actually look at a Mahendra tractor.   It was pretty cheap money for the power. But what I realized was that everyone sitting on the dealer lot here had a 4 speed standard transmission with no power shift or no high low you could shift on the fly. The power shift or the high low combo on the D serries is a must have for both mowing and bailing if you ask me. So I didn't buy one.
As to the abuse versus use comment from the dealer I am pretty sure most small farmers will end up using a tractor to the point that the dealer would call it abuse. See my thread Allis to the rescue I am sure my hard use of my D17 would be called abuse by the mechanic you talked to. Yet she has pulled big bailer and a hay 20 foot hay wagon most of her life. That is how we hayed when I was a kid.
DaSquatch View Drop Down
Silver Level
Silver Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DaSquatch Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Aug 2015 at 9:36am

Abuse around these parts is usually related to logging.  Lots of guys using small/smallish tractors with winch arches instead of skidders.   And lots of operators keep a tractor for years without huge troubles, but there are tons of opportunities in the woods to stress any tractor beyond what it was designed for, and some operators are ROUGH on equipment. 

And even your d17, if you never change the fluids, never clean the mud out of the radiator, and slip the clutch all day, will fail.  I'd rather have the Allis, just like you, but there is still alot left to the "nut behind the wheel" when it comes to durability.
Dan73 View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dan73 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Aug 2015 at 9:48am

Now not checking or changing the fluids is neglect not abuse and in book worse. If you are going to beat on it you can at least try to take care of it. As to the loggers yes there are some here who try to go cheap or into tighter areas with small tractors and I agree that is abusive to the tractor there is a reason skidders are built big and heavy.   You see old ford 800s with the 4 wd kit here and a broken rear end because they used them with the winch setup. A 3 point hitch is not meant to be used like that. I don't even like a 3 point counter weight but at the moment I need to use one. Or my favorite is the 3 point backhoes.   How many of those break the rearend on a tractor and everyone just looks dumb going the rock didn't look that big or I have moved bigger rocks......

Edited by Dan73 - 03 Aug 2015 at 9:49am
DaSquatch View Drop Down
Silver Level
Silver Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DaSquatch Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Aug 2015 at 10:11am
In any case, I wasn't trying to sell anybody on any brand of tractor, just pointing out that (according to my friend) these Indian-made tractors stack up well against other new tractors.  And my mental image of India is not of an industrial powerhouse, but rather half-naked guys beating scrap metal into plows to pull through the mud with an ox.

And that means to me that in the future any hole-in-muck country could develop into a leader in any industry.  These days there is very little proprietary information, no real barriers to worldwide shipping, and no problems turning our money into any other currency.  Pretty much only religious and political warfare is holding the world back from being one big marketplace.  For better, or worse.
TimNearFortWorth View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TimNearFortWorth Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Aug 2015 at 11:06am
Economics of scale, keeping shareholders happy and management making decisions that sometimes should have only been made in Vegas.

Manufacturers tried to offer something to everyone under their brand name back in the day and still do, from required small utility units to big HP out west.
In 1970, my father had a decision to make as he needed a tractor that could do everything, including being driven into the dairy barn with a 180 bushel spreader at night to prevent freezing in Upstate NY. The 10 Series JD and 06 IH had been around and folks with good money had either a 4020 or a 56/66 series IH being delivered. Dad's brother with the A-C dealership wanted to bring him a 190XT but it would not fit in the dairy barn. He later said he looked at the 180 but settled on a British Leland for the money aspect, although he never did get accustomed to straddling that transmission. Seems the 180 was also going to be a tight fit in the barn and he felt the tranny/rear diff. were not heavy enough for our hilly area.
The 4/65 Nuffield (a two year leftover unit) was picked up for 4800.00 and ran what became a 500 acre dairy when we rented the land next door. People used to joke about the old "nuttshaker" but she did everything and you could not swing a cat without hitting one in that area as they were inexpensive, snorty and heavy little stubby units that easily cranked 70-75 hp without a turbo; BMC diesel with Simms pumps.
If I recall, Mahindra was making the small IH utilities back in the 50's so that name has actually been around a long time and IH did pretty well with that little India import for decades.
I give my dad plenty of credit as at the end of the day he also raised eight kids on that dairy and believe me, he and my mother went without plenty. I realized how just easy his decision must have been back then as I have the original delivery invoice for my D19D SC that was purchased in 1964 by the neighbors that eventually bought our farm; 7,200.00.
Funny how different brands dominated specific areas but I think the American farmer has always been pretty astute, when it came down to spending money for the tractor he needed, and what he could actually afford.
Dan73 View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dan73 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Aug 2015 at 11:15am
I agree with you that they well may hold up to any modern tractor and that any small nation can be home to a big company which ships global products.   I think a big part of the fall of manufacturing in the 80s was globalization and that now there is little to no incentive for companies to invest in the us.
All that said I think it is a sad comment on modern tractor that my grandfather traded out of tractors that where only a few years old to get something newer and better and now I am restoring tractors from the late 50s because the modern ones aren't as good an investment and won't do the job as well. To me that is the real injustice of our times. The fact that we are willing to say buy this modern thing it will only hold up a few years where the old ones lasted a lifetime but that is ok someone else builds a worse one. So mine is better.
This is the Asia quality ranking by the taiwanese I worked for. As a comparison bassis.
1 Japan they want to make it right and will figure out how.
2 India if they are showed how to make it right they will do it because quality is important they just don't know how.
3. Taiwan they will listen to how to make it right but then do it their way to get the "same" thing
4 mainland China they just want to make something they can sell cheaper.   
From there down they said they are all what China is to the USA to china.
This is what I heard time and time again from taiwanese business owners and they didn't put themselves very high on the list. I thought that was interesting.
Dan73 View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dan73 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Aug 2015 at 11:22am
Oh and all of Asia is one very high end luxury car swerving around an ox cart to get down the road faster. Well in taiwan they replaced the ox with scooters pulling the same cart. I think they ate the ox. The point being if you think there is an income gap in the us go to Asia they have a much bigger one.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234 5>
  Share Topic