This site is not affiliated with AGCO Inc., Duluth GA., Allis-Chalmers Co., Milwaukee, WI., or any surviving or related corporate entity. All trademarks remain the property of their respective owners. All information presented herein should be considered the result of an un-moderated public forum with no responsibility for its accuracy or usability assumed by the users and sponsors of this site or any corporate entity.
The Forum Parts and Services Unofficial Allis Store Tractor Shows Serial Numbers History
Forum Home Forum Home > Allis Chalmers > Farm Equipment
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

"History" lesson?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 5>
Author
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dave in il Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: "History" lesson?
    Posted: 01 Aug 2015 at 7:20am
So I was at a restaurant and overheard a (30 something?) guy telling a kid about tractors and I really wasn't paying much attention until I heard him say, "And you used to see Allis Chalmers around but in the 60's they made a new tractor called a 190, the thing was junk and after that they couldn't give their stuff away. Ouch!

Well I listened a closer then. Apparently Case folded after the DC which was weird with goofy rod down the side. Oliver never sold many tractors and Ford just made little tractors never any serious horsepower.

The gist was that only one shining star existed in the world of tractors, can you guess? Ta Da... JOHN DEERE the number one and only perfect tractor in the world. I guess you gotta start young to make a true believer and NEVER let facts mess up a good story. LOL!

AGCO My Allis Gleaner Company
Sponsored Links

JET8070 View Drop Down
Silver Level
Silver Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JET8070 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Aug 2015 at 7:47am
Yeah, I'm pretty sure those Deere videos are full of subliminal messages.
WDman1951 View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote WDman1951 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Aug 2015 at 8:32am
Poor kid was doomed from the start glad my dad didn't have a bias and ruin me forever
Mike Plotner View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mike Plotner Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Aug 2015 at 8:58am
whew... I would of walked over and had a discussion with him. ask him how many 190's or DC's the guy has owned or operated. Case and Allis both made better tractors in the 40's than deere could make in the 50's.

guy probably learned everything from those john deere propaganda videos they put out. both my brothers really like them, so I just have to leave the house and get work done with my Allis's
2001 Gleaner R42, 1978 7060, 1977 7000, 1966 190 XT, 1966 D-17 Series IV and 1952 WD and more keep my farm running!
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mike Plotner Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Aug 2015 at 9:00am
Shameless, get the rope, we got to find the guy who has been poisoning the minds of our youths!
2001 Gleaner R42, 1978 7060, 1977 7000, 1966 190 XT, 1966 D-17 Series IV and 1952 WD and more keep my farm running!
WDman1951 View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote WDman1951 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Aug 2015 at 9:06am
Jd people will be jd people lol case sucks that must have been why they were able to aquire a huge tractor mogul like ih right and allis had the harvester market corned for almost the entire life of the all crop 
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mike Plotner Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Aug 2015 at 9:14am
yep, one thing about deere nuts, they sure are stubborn! although im slowly turn my cousin to Allis. he raked hay with a 200 this week and thought it was better than their 4020 powershift
WDman1951 View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote WDman1951 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Aug 2015 at 9:20am
Nice win for us lol im glad my brothers only an ih fan they died same time we did so we dont get into arguments plus ih made alot of good stuff from ms and hs to the 1206 to my fav the 2 plus 2. His little f12 dont stand a chance against my wd any how
BrianC View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BrianC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Aug 2015 at 10:11am
Time machine back to 1965. You need a new larger tractor. Let's say the Ford you have is too small, the old man running the Ford dealership passed and his son the lazy idiot is running the place into the ground.

So you head on over to the JD and Allis dealers to see what they got.
How do you compare the JD 4020 to the Allis Chalmers 190 or 190XT?
Tractor data says the 190 and 190Xt were co-produced, I assume that is true.

I see the JD weighing like 800 pounds more and a larger displacement engine. But yeah it was just 5 years ago they finally stopped making the antique 2 cylinders and got modern. What kind of track record
does this new generation have?

At Allis, they have the 190 and the 190xt the XT makes more power.
You decide you would need the XT's extra power, if you want the Allis.

How does a basic 4020 and 190XT compare in price in 1965?

Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mike Plotner Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Aug 2015 at 10:28am
I got a actual Allis book to compare those from 1970 I believe, but its over at grandpas.

from what I've heard from grandpa and his brother from when they sold Allis tractors, a 4020 was as over priced then as it is now. and in field demos, 4020's couldn't hold a candle to a XT just the same as how a 3010 gas wouldn't run with granpdas D-17 Series III gas or how a 3020 diesel wouldn't run with his cousins 180 diesel
Dan73 View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dan73 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Aug 2015 at 11:27am
So what was the story on the 190 anyway. My grandfather had one of those for two seasons. The first year the dealer rebuilt the motor because it didn't hold up to a single season of harvesting and the second year my grandfather rebuilt it and traded it in for a case. But the older d17 I still have and it is a work horse.   A neighbor has a d19 that has never given any trouble.   Was there some sort of issue with the 190 gas motor or something?   All three of the tractors the d17 d19 and 190 I mentioned where all gas and the 190 is the only one which gave trouble.   I thought at one point that it must have been a Lemmon but from time to time you hear people say the same thing about a 190.
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mike Plotner Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Aug 2015 at 2:27pm
most of the problems were from the rear ends. especially in the XT diesels. too much power for the rear end. was pretty much fixed by the time the Series III's and 200's came out. im assuming your talking about a 265 and not a 301? ive never heard anything bad about a 301 gas
CrestonM View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CrestonM Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Aug 2015 at 2:48pm
Originally posted by WDman1951 WDman1951 wrote:

Poor kid was doomed from the start glad my dad didn't have a bias and ruin me forever

My dad is just a big walking, talking piece of JD bias!! He tried to raise me green, but I did my research and made the switch! 
(Really the thing that made me switch was seeing my great granddad's All-Crop, but Shhhh!)

But now that I'm older, I know the facts.
Dan73 View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dan73 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Aug 2015 at 2:50pm
I really don't know what the motor was just that it was alot bigger then the d17 and the d17 ended up doing the work here. I always thought the motor mist have been a Lemon because I don't know of any other allis chalmers tractor serries that had motor problems. I just know he gor rid of the 190 and cursed that tractor for the rest of his life
Jwmac7060 View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jwmac7060 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Aug 2015 at 6:16pm
Glad I was raised on orange....never could afford the green anyhow...dad became a hired hand for the gentelman whos farm we now farm in 1975..the old guy was a JD man. He had a 4010 gas and a 4020 diesel...he wanted a new tractor and John Deere couldn't get him a new 4430 before Jan 1...Deere would have gladly let him pay for it and deliver the tractor later but the old guy wanted the new tractor in his barn before Jan 1.....he went to the local Allis dealer and they had a brand new 7030 on the lot...he paid cash for it and drove it home on Christmas eve...we still have that tractor today and was the first of many AC's for us....never seen a 4430 that would ever out do that ole 7030... That was our big horse for quite a few year
Dave in il View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dave in il Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Aug 2015 at 8:40pm
Mike, no place to start an argument, especially in front of his son, nephew or whatever. Besides you really can't reason with someone who thinks he already has all the right answers.

But while we're on the subject of (revising) history did you ever notice John Deere's "New Generation" tractors officially started with the 4020. Deere guy never talk about the red headed step children that was the 10 series. For 3 years the 3010, 4010 and 5010 had plenty of teething problems. I've heard a story of a guy in our neighborhood who traded a 630 gas for a new 3010 gas he went to the field with the same plow he pulled with 630 and the next day he was back to the dealer wanting to trade back. LOL

Since I was around 6 years old back then my first hand information is a bit limited, but I was told the 10 series had cooling and other issues and some transmission problems too. I know my college roommates family had a 5010 that had two cylinder heads break before they got rid of it.

All I know for sure is I've heard over and over how the 4020 is the first modern farm tractor etc., but I've never heard the praises for a 4010.   
AGCO My Allis Gleaner Company
SHAMELESS View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SHAMELESS Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Aug 2015 at 10:48pm
kinda makes e smile when I think about what has gone on thru the years! while jd was sending people out to try to persuade people of different colors (not human colors) how good they were and so busy saying how they could do this and that better than anything else...AC/Oliver/IH/Case/and others were just out there doing it! getting something done! they didn't have to prove themselves, they already did by going to the fields everyday earning a living! so many around here grew up on the "other brands" of equipment...but then only to be shunned by others that grew up on green! horrible way to end a friendship! over the colors of their tractors! then there's Les! lol
Wdtractorman View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Wdtractorman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Aug 2015 at 11:28pm
Grandpa was a ford man dad a john deere man even though he almost always had fords. I found Allis myself and glade to do so even though I like the blue and red ones two but don't hold it agents me lol. The jd people there selfs what drove me away from them to overpowering. My father n law is pure jd won't have anything that's not green but he got some silly ideas about a lot of stuff lol. Example he will bushhog his clover down before it blooms if he not ready to cut it for hay bc he said it it blooms it will die.
allis in the ozarks View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote allis in the ozarks Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Aug 2015 at 11:41pm
my favorite argument from the deere heads is when the pull the old "well john deere is the only company that hasnt been bought out or sold" then ya ask em what that proves an they aint got no response  
SHAMELESS View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SHAMELESS Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Aug 2015 at 2:33am
maybe because the other equipment companies don't hafta sell crackers to keep them going! saw a box of jd crackers on a grocery store shelf one day! maybe they should have?
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mike Plotner Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Aug 2015 at 7:04am
Originally posted by Dave in il Dave in il wrote:

Mike, no place to start an argument, especially in front of his son, nephew or whatever. Besides you really can't reason with someone who thinks he already has all the right answers.

But while we're on the subject of (revising) history did you ever notice John Deere's "New Generation" tractors officially started with the 4020. Deere guy never talk about the red headed step children that was the 10 series. For 3 years the 3010, 4010 and 5010 had plenty of teething problems. I've heard a story of a guy in our neighborhood who traded a 630 gas for a new 3010 gas he went to the field with the same plow he pulled with 630 and the next day he was back to the dealer wanting to trade back. LOL

Since I was around 6 years old back then my first hand information is a bit limited, but I was told the 10 series had cooling and other issues and some transmission problems too. I know my college roommates family had a 5010 that had two cylinder heads break before they got rid of it.

All I know for sure is I've heard over and over how the 4020 is the first modern farm tractor etc., but I've never heard the praises for a 4010.   

you never hear of the 4520 either. ours threw a rod though the block a few years back, jumps out of 7th and 8th gears, has a terrible cab and burns way to much (but all deeres do) at least when it got a intercooled 404 out of a 4620 you can get some power out of it
Dan73 View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dan73 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Aug 2015 at 7:10am
I sometimes wonder if the tractor companies where victims if there own success.   I think about the period from the 30s to the 70s and the fact that they where always building better tractors.   My grandfather traded alot of tractors over the years because the new one would do something he needed or it had live power or a 3 point hitch you name it that was a lifetime of changes. Now atleast around New England there really isn't alot of need for more then 100hp a good tractor from the 70s will make your big tractor and I honestly feel the older D serries make great haying tractors.   So from a business perspective the tractor companies where growing like crazy selling new tractors through improvement based demand but once they got the tractors from the 70s there where not really big improvement to be made every few years. Yes my 5240 is nicer to ride in then the older IH 986 (i might have the number wrong there) we had when I was growing up but both of them would do the same field work. I always wondered if the demand for tractors dropped simply because there where enough good ones out there. I know there where more small farmers before and that there are less farmers now. I just wonder about the technology side because as I sit here typing this on my smart phone which is 4 years old I think there is a lesson to be learned by other companies.   Once things get about soo good you really don't need them better.
Jwmac7060 View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jwmac7060 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Aug 2015 at 7:18am
Can any of you imagine how big equipment will be in another 30 years. I remember when an N6 was the biggest combine in the neighborhood and thought we had a monster tractor when we bought our first 7580 when I was a kid....now front wheel assist tractors are pushing 300hp and combines dwarf N6's...roads around here are already too small for most equipment I can't imagine what another 30 years will bring....and my dad remembers cultivating with a WD45 when he was a kid and that was the biggest tractor in the neighborhood when he was little..just what be has seen in his lifetime is unbelievable when you stop and think about it
Dan73 View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dan73 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Aug 2015 at 7:25am
I ab see big equipment out west where you have flat fields. Here on the east coast the field are just too small. We had a 160 hp tractor with a big chopper and dump wagon and you had to be really careful not to get stuck in a corner you couldn't get out of. A 4 or 5 bottom plow is just really big when your total acreage is 100 to 200. And it is all hills and falling a river.
Josh Day View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Josh Day Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Aug 2015 at 7:47am
I have a good friend who's all John Deere. And he admitted to me that when AC brought out the 17 series 4 that it was a great tractor lol.
AC's 75' 7040, 64' D-17S4, 55'WD-45, 54' WD-45, 53' WD-45, 53' WD, 52' CA, 36' WC. IH 656. Deere's 38' A, and 47' A
SHAMELESS View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SHAMELESS Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Aug 2015 at 8:39am
30 years from now, you'll have seen a lot of broke farmers giving in to corporate so called farmers! a lot of them now! Monsanto will probably buy the equipment and hire someone to service the equipment as they won't need drivers, all be done by puters hooked up to the satelites!
Dan73 View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dan73 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Aug 2015 at 8:58am
The Chinese stock market lost 1/3 if it's value a little while back and the talking heads all called it a minor correction.   Greece is just the first nation to realize it can't pay it's bills. Once once the global stock markets have a few more of these minor corrections and a few more countries realize that they can't hope to ever pay off the bad economic choices the world has made since WW II we will see what a real depression feels like. The big company farms will move to China or anywhere else they can produce food without worrying about the environment or the quality of the food poor people and city people will eat it. Smart People in the country will buy local food from small farmers and you will see alot of old iron running around smaller fields again. It will be the farming of the 50s and 60s with a focus on quality and organic techniques. The farms that survive will be ok while the rest of the economy will be a mess. Grampa always said the great depression didn't real effect them much having a small farm on the east coast.
BrianC View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BrianC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Aug 2015 at 9:00am
30 years from now I will be fixing the magneto on my 1948 C, again!

The last gen of the JD 2cyl diesels were very good on fuel economy.
The 830 made more HP-hours per pound of diesel than the JD4020, Allis 190 also better than the Allis 6080. So the perception they were
antiques may not be entirely accurate.
45 turboa- View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 45 turboa- Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Aug 2015 at 9:21am
I think I would of took that guy out to the wood shed and gave him an education.As for tractors built today I don't think they will have a long life with all their wireing and computers a friend or mine works for a Caseih dealer he said that its nothing to stick 30-40,000 in repairs in some of the newer tractors. Give me a 220 Allis it would do the same work just a basic tractor.Thats what we need today don't need all the extra junk.
turbocharged
Alberta Phil View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Alberta Phil Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Aug 2015 at 9:21am
If you look around, you see a lot more 60 year old orange tractors still workin' in the fields and on the farms than green ones. The 60 year old greens are all shined up and sittin' in shows or collector's buildings.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 5>
  Share Topic