This site is not affiliated with AGCO Inc., Duluth GA., Allis-Chalmers Co., Milwaukee, WI., or any surviving or related corporate entity. All trademarks remain the property of their respective owners. All information presented herein should be considered the result of an un-moderated public forum with no responsibility for its accuracy or usability assumed by the users and sponsors of this site or any corporate entity.
The Forum Parts and Services Unofficial Allis Store Tractor Shows Serial Numbers History
Forum Home Forum Home > Allis Chalmers > Farm Equipment
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

High rpm 125 motor

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>
Author
Silver Level
Silver Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Super B Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: High rpm 125 motor
    Posted: 03 Sep 2018 at 8:14am
I'm new to discussion forums. building what I'm calling a Super B, and I want to build a high RPM engine for it. Any advice? Hardened seats? Why is the compression so low? Will D15 pistons work on it? Looking for about 3,000 Rpm. Bigger valves? I'm building my own exhaust and intake out of stainless steel.
Sponsored Links

Super B View Drop Down
Silver Level
Silver Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Super B Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Sep 2018 at 8:21am
Another photo

Edited by Super B - 03 Sep 2018 at 8:29am
CTuckerNWIL View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CTuckerNWIL Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Sep 2018 at 8:27am
http://www.ae-ta.com
Lena 1935 WC12xxx, Willie 1951 CA6xx Dad bought new, 1954WD45 PS, 1960 D17 NF
PaulB View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote PaulB Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Sep 2018 at 9:04am
All you really need to do is re-work the geometry of the governor linkage. They are generally balanced fairly well. i run my pulling engines around 4500 RPMs with nothing special done to them. Altough if you are only planning on more road speed as opposed to working under load, I’d suggest taller tires will do more with less.
If it was fun to pull in LOW gear, I could have a John Deere.
If you can't make it GO... make it SHINY
DrAllis View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DrAllis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Sep 2018 at 10:07am
I have no idea what your intentions are for using this tractor, but give these items consideration if you would. I have a WD-45 that I take on "tractor rides", and some days they might be 75 miles in length, which means 5 to 6 hours of engine running time, depending on the pace.  Some days, I am near full throttle all day long. I have zero model "B" engine experience, but a fair amount of D-14/D15 experience. I cannot imagine 3,000 RPM continuously on a tractor ride with splash lube connecting rod bearings. Maybe they'd be fine, but the correct choice of engine oil viscosity would be very important.  A pressurized oiling system like the D-14/D-15 have would surely be better.  A D-15 series 2 governor spring would get you 2,400 RPM if your governor linkage is the later design "B" parts.  An additional helper spring on the carb side would get you your desired 3,000 RPM's. Keeping the governor action like a stock tractor would be important I think. A slightly larger carb from a D-14 or D-15 series 2 would help add RPM and HP as well.  You don't need bigger valves. The bigger carb will do more than bigger valves and a stock carb. More compression would be good for more HP and torque at all engine speeds. Good luck with your "One-of-a-kind" project.
Super B View Drop Down
Silver Level
Silver Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Super B Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Sep 2018 at 10:12am
It is for the road i have 50 in tires on it and have a ca trans in it and want the option of going even faster i am going to delete these govenor and driver it with my foot and use a rev limter in the electronics and if u can run yours 4500 i guess I can too.will d15 pistons and sleeves go go in my 125 ci?
Super B View Drop Down
Silver Level
Silver Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Super B Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Sep 2018 at 10:20am
Thanks for the well wishs.will the d15 motor go right in? Would the shorter stoke 125 put up with the higher rpms?
Super B View Drop Down
Silver Level
Silver Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Super B Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Sep 2018 at 10:20am
Better
Super B View Drop Down
Silver Level
Silver Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Super B Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Sep 2018 at 10:27am
Originally posted by Super B Super B wrote:

Better
know anybody that has ad15 motor for sale?
JohnCO View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JohnCO Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Sep 2018 at 11:05am
Hi Super B, welcome to the forum.  I don't have any engine advice for you but if you want to change or edit a post, instead of starting a new one, you can go to the "Post Options" on the upper right, scroll down to edit and click on it.  You can then change or add to the post in the message box.  I find doing that saves me embarrassing mistakes, or comments I realize I shouldn't have made...

Beautiful machine in your pictures, by the way!

Edited by JohnCO - 03 Sep 2018 at 11:05am
"If at first you don't succeed, get a bigger hammer"
Allis Express participant
Orange Blood View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Orange Blood Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Sep 2018 at 11:24am
Just a novice at any engine performance mods here, so take this for what it is worth.

I would think without a governor, you would have almost no control of your mid range, yes your rev limiter would keep you safely at the 3K area, but even then it would 'bounce' off the limiter correct?

I would think without a governor you would have to build you foot linkage so that much movement from bouncing, or just moving in the seat would not show up in the butterfly valve, otherwise you will have wild excursions of RPM right?
Still in use:
HD7 WC C CA WD 2-WD45 WD45LP WD45D D14 3-D17 D17LP 2-D19D D19LP 190XTD 190XTLP 720 D21 220 7020 7030 7040 7045 3-7060
Projects: 3-U UC 2-G 2-B 2-C CA 7-WC RC WDLP WF D14 D21 210 7045 N7
Super B View Drop Down
Silver Level
Silver Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Super B Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Sep 2018 at 11:52am
I would agree with
All of what you said. But I am going to use a mikuni carb with a slide it has lot more range of motion and wont be so jumpy and with a choke style cable for a throtle to set and use   my foot to override it when i want i think it will work
DrAllis View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DrAllis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Sep 2018 at 11:58am
A "CA" rear end with 50 inch tires @ 1650 RPM should do 13 MPH. So, at 3300 RPM it would do 26 MPH.  That's plenty fast enough for any tractor ride I've ever been on !!!   At 2400 RPM (D-15 governor top speed) it would be rolling along at 19 MPH approximately.  I wouldn't even consider a 5 hour tractor operating the engine speed with my foot.
Super B View Drop Down
Silver Level
Silver Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Super B Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Sep 2018 at 12:07pm
I can set the hand controlled cable where l want and take my foot of the foot pedal cars r controlled that way all the time
Sugarmaker View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sugarmaker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Sep 2018 at 1:13pm
Super B,
 I think you have a appropriate name! That is a awesome custom machine! Thanks for the pictures it really tells us a lot. And your way beyond what I can do!:)
Regards,
 Chris
D17 1958 (NFE), WD45 1954 (NFE), WD 1952 (NFE), WD 1950 (WFE), Allis F-40 forklift, Allis CA, Allis D14, Ford Jubilee, Many IH Cub Cadets, 32 Ford Dump, 65 Comet.
Super B View Drop Down
Silver Level
Silver Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Super B Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Sep 2018 at 1:18pm
Its different from most. It will have ac too
woodsman89 View Drop Down
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote woodsman89 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Sep 2018 at 1:41pm
Pretty small cam shaft, pointy lopes. all for low end. springs are pretty light. If you just want rpm it might be ok, but won't be much power.
wfmurray View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wfmurray Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Sep 2018 at 3:18pm
If you put to big of carb on it will cut off on hard pull. Not enough vaccum to pull fuel through a big venture. Got a C A carb on my B and it has cut off going up hill with low fuel .Might not experience such on road trip.
Super B View Drop Down
Silver Level
Silver Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Super B Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Sep 2018 at 4:16pm
I have many different sizes of carbs lucky and i know that I won't get it the first time thanks for the input
steve(ill) View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote steve(ill) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Sep 2018 at 4:34pm
The "B" cylinder liners can be bore from 3 3/8 inch to 3 7/16 inch for a few extra inches over 125.. The liners from the larger 149-161 motor will not fit into the smaller block.. The larger motor can be put into the B tractor and bolt to the flywheel and torque tube with out much modification... but the hood may  be a couple inches short.

the larger motors have a longer stroke to also get more displacement

Edited by steve(ill) - 03 Sep 2018 at 4:35pm
Like them all, but love the "B"s.
Super B View Drop Down
Silver Level
Silver Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Super B Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Sep 2018 at 5:18pm
I have many different sizes of carbs lucky and i know that I won't get it the first time thanks for the input
Super B View Drop Down
Silver Level
Silver Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Super B Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Sep 2018 at 5:24pm
Thanks sounds like u been through it. What rpms did they run that big motor at?
bradley6874 View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bradley6874 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Sep 2018 at 5:53pm
Wait till Mr Bill here's about air conditioning on a B and how fast you want to go just curious
You can wash the dirt off the body but you can’t wash the farmer out of the heart and soul
Super B View Drop Down
Silver Level
Silver Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Super B Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Sep 2018 at 6:00pm
Super B View Drop Down
Silver Level
Silver Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Super B Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Sep 2018 at 6:05pm
30 mph would be great i wouldn't drive it that fast normally but it would be nice to know it could
CTuckerNWIL View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CTuckerNWIL Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Sep 2018 at 6:27pm
Originally posted by wfmurray wfmurray wrote:

Got a C A carb on my B and it has cut off going up hill with low fuel .Might not experience such on road trip.

CA and B had the same engine. If it cut out going uphill, you had a fuel restriction, nothing to do with the carb size.
http://www.ae-ta.com
Lena 1935 WC12xxx, Willie 1951 CA6xx Dad bought new, 1954WD45 PS, 1960 D17 NF
Gerald J. View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gerald J. Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Sep 2018 at 8:28pm
My gas MF-135 and gas 4020 without any mods used to run at 22 or 23 mph on the road. Most tractor rides around here plan on 12 or 13 mph.

Gerald J.
wfmurray View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wfmurray Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Sep 2018 at 9:34pm
C tucker.Took carb off a C A and had to file holes out about a quarter to get it to fit on B.Do not know what but there is a differnce somewhere.Engine  has a surg at no load and never need to choke to crank which means it has a rich intake .Has no main jet. Thanks.
Dick L View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dick L Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Sep 2018 at 6:03am
I built my pulling Allis C to run 4000 RPM. I had the engine shop grind a D 15 crankshaft to a 4 inch stroke and balance the crankshaft and flywheel. I sent the D 15 camshaft to Crane Cam to grind it to the engine set up. The cross drilling of the crankshaft was plugged and redrilled to have a oil pressure system. I used small block Chevy valves and ported the head. I took .150 off the head. I modified the pistons to enter the firing chamber and weighed each one on a gram scale to get them at the exact weight each with rod and bearings. The head looked like the last one I did in the pictures below.

B26240 View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote B26240 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Sep 2018 at 6:22am
Well you will be the first to arrive at the end of your tractor ride unless you go with the Aussie guys that have Chamberlin tractors that go 45 MPH
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>
  Share Topic