This site is not affiliated with AGCO Inc., Duluth GA., Allis-Chalmers Co., Milwaukee, WI., or any surviving or related corporate entity. All trademarks remain the property of their respective owners. All information presented herein should be considered the result of an un-moderated public forum with no responsibility for its accuracy or usability assumed by the users and sponsors of this site or any corporate entity.
The Forum Parts and Services Unofficial Allis Store Tractor Shows Serial Numbers History
Forum Home Forum Home > Other Topics > Pulling Forum
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

hi comp pistons

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123>
Author
 Rating: Topic Rating: 1 Votes, Average 5.00  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
Ken(MI) View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ken(MI) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Jul 2013 at 9:18am
I will agree that piston materials have improved in the last 50 years, so has everything else, so putting a "latest and greatest piston" in an engine that was designed 80 years ago and produced 60 years ago, gets you where? I've pulled some pistons out of old tractors that had no discernable wear on them anyplace, so they should be junked because of age alone? I thinks not. Form what I have observed on this Forum, I would place those used pistons down a couple notches in priority and take a basic welding class, and work on my plumbing skills so that said tractor doesn't resemble a Mouse Trap game on steroids that has been victimized by a low flying flock of geese.
Sponsored Links

Gary in da UP View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gary in da UP Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Jul 2013 at 9:40am
Ken,  Panky 's  plan seems to be how quickly he can fill the oil pan with debris, rather than how far down the track he can pull.....don't confuse him with logic....
Butch(OH) View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Butch(OH) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Jul 2013 at 10:27am
Originally posted by Gary in da UP Gary in da UP wrote:

Ken,  ..don't confuse him with logic....

LOLHug Good one!!

Dont ya know that Ken only reads here so he can take Plinky's wisdom back to his shop and sell it to NASCAR????? Re-read Plinks post above, LOL

Edited by Butch(OH) - 01 Jul 2013 at 10:28am
Butch(OH) View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Butch(OH) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Jul 2013 at 10:50am
Originally posted by mlpankey mlpankey wrote:

Ps when you quote me quote it all this picking sentence and not showing the complete context is getting old and has always been inmature

Uh, You don't get half the knocks you oughta get, you get let off easy here IMO

Since you know how to cut and paste (plagiarize) from un-named sources I would think you could also figure out how cut and paste your personal crypt  to something like Microsoft Word so it could be auto corrected into something the rest of the English speaking world can comprehend????

Should the time ever come when you manage to type complete and proper sentence  I will be more than glad to be the very first person to give you the satisfaction of a quote. 

Until that happens, like everyone else, I can only try to decipher and quote what you type. 

wi50 View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wi50 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Jul 2013 at 11:54am

For all the things wrong with an old set of pistons why do any or our old tractors even run?  Better question is why with pankster's super machine shop located in Tn useing all those new parts why is he near 100 feet behind the leaders in a small class of tractors and when I look at the rules it's a 4mph pace?  It really doesn't take rocket science to go 4mph..... I'm no rocket scientist and built most of a tractor from scratch, used parts, things in the barn and a few new parts that spins the wheels 80+ mph, so 4mph shouldn't be that tough now should it.  Why can I go out with my used "junk" pistons and pull in a class of 20+ tractors and get 2nd place by a few feet one night, maybe a 3rd place another night and be right down there competitive in the top of the class with all the things wrong with my engine?  I mean there's some nice Farmall M's with stroker engines, John Deere 2 cyl's with no expense spared, Minne Mo's, etc. with plenty of motor to compete anywhere, but at 4mph the Allis won't embarass a guy nearly as bad as pankey's results embarass him.

Basic logic will answer that question.  My cylinder head porting sills and mechanical abilities are far superior to those of our "village idiot".  I can get all the way down the track with lots of things wrong and he can't get within 100 feet of the leaders with what he thinks everything right..... if he makes it to a pull or if his engine even runs......Or maybe I just put a decent set of tires on, Rice and Cane tires are not the slick ticket there pank, I hear you show up with them to pull. 

Gary's right pank, maybe you should go back to buying your engines, building them just doesn't seam to be your niche. If you'd like though pank, you can take my tractor so you have one to go pull.  I'm pretty busy with the business and on the weekends when there's pulls I try to get out with the super stock.  Spinning the wheels 20X faster and 3000 hp under the hood is a bit more fun for those of us who like a real challenge.

As far as rakeing any hay with the WD-45, it can, but that bar rake is to slow to use, and it's to small of a tractor to pull a big V-rake.  So it gets used once in a while for some light work.  It's to useless to pull large wagons, fertalizer tanks, etc.  I've got a Ford 4000 Select-o-slip to use also, grandpa bought it new so it has to stay here.  Both tractors are handy though as they run under their own power and I can move them in and out of the shed to get to the real equipment.  But they're still both to useless to do any real work..... the Allis is good for entertainment on the pulling forum as we've seen.
"see what happens when you have no practical experience doing something...... you end up playing with calculators and looking stupid on the internet"
Gary in da UP View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gary in da UP Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Jul 2013 at 11:59am

wi50 View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wi50 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Jul 2013 at 12:04pm
Originally posted by Ken(MI) Ken(MI) wrote:

I will agree that piston materials have improved in the last 50 years, so has everything else, so putting a "latest and greatest piston" in an engine that was designed 80 years ago and produced 60 years ago, gets you where? I've pulled some pistons out of old tractors that had no discernable wear on them anyplace, so they should be junked because of age alone? I thinks not. Form what I have observed on this Forum, I would place those used pistons down a couple notches in priority and take a basic welding class, and work on my plumbing skills so that said tractor doesn't resemble a Mouse Trap game on steroids that has been victimized by a low flying flock of geese.

Ken, just rember this guy claims that he invented wheel adapters.  That a bushing with a set offset will allow for a certain degree of rotation on a camshaft no matter how far from center it is placed and that you can pull air through a cylinder head port and carbuerator past the speed of sound.

But we have no physical evidence other than the pictures you are refering to and the results some have posted.

I've said it before and I'll say it again.  Some people need to worry about getting to the track, then worry about getting down the track.  It's not like you have to build something to get to the moon and back, you only have to get 320 feet in a straight line.

However I do like the victamized by a low flock of geese comment, I'm glad you can tell the difference between goose dung and chicken dung, it all looks the same to me allong with pankey's welding and machining skillz.
"see what happens when you have no practical experience doing something...... you end up playing with calculators and looking stupid on the internet"
Ken(MI) View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ken(MI) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Jul 2013 at 12:04pm
Did Pank show up and use the free pass in Tomah that you offered? I figured he must of, because I never saw him at Elkhart Lake. I hope he didn't show or I might be jealous. Tenatively I'm going to Mid-Ohio in August, maybe he can stay with Butch, and they can come out to the track together.
mlpankey View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mlpankey Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Jul 2013 at 1:06pm

Did Pank show up and use the free pass in Tomah that you offered? I figured he must of, because I never saw him at Elkhart Lake. I hope he didn't show or I might be jealous. Tenatively I'm going to Mid-Ohio in August, maybe he can stay with Butch, and they can come out to the track together.
plumbing critique from a guy that doesnt  know what R 45 L  is on a set of tubing benders let alone the friction loss for a close 90 degree bend.  yeah I am speculating prove me wrong. 
Butch(OH) View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Butch(OH) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Jul 2013 at 1:18pm

[plumbing critique from a guy that doesnt  know what R 45 L  is on a set of tubing benders let alone the friction loss for a close 90 degree bend.  yeah I am speculating prove me wrong. 

Take a trip to Lansing little boy,,,,, make sure you take a good dump before you open Ken's shop door so you don't leave a stinky pile on the floor and then have your jaw drop in it!!

Edited by Butch(OH) - 01 Jul 2013 at 1:20pm
wi50 View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wi50 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Jul 2013 at 1:59pm

plumbing critique from a guy that doesnt  know what R 45 L  is on a set of tubing benders let alone the friction loss for a close 90 degree bend.  yeah I am speculating prove me wrong. 

No Ken, no Pank.  But he is famous, lots of fans, spectators and fellow competitors ask if I personally know Pank, if he's retarded, on meth or has a genetic disorder.  And to think when I register they give a pound of cheese and a 6 pack of beer and a few chicken dinners he could have had.  Hopefully you fella's had a good laugh in Elkhart Lake also.

Anyway a little question on fluid dynamics being we're on the subject.  What would posess someone to string an oil cooler such as pank's mess?  The further you pump a fluid the more friction loss, pumping loss and power consumption it would have.  If it's cold it's going to take more power to pump. I see the picture of that mess (maybe Butch can post it for us to laugh at again) and ask myself what the point is.  For a guy who claims to be concerened with the fine details I'd have to say it looks more like an after thought and isn't necessary.

I never had to cool any oil on a pulling engine, nor run any coolant in the engine block on any of my "built" engines, but then again it never took me that long to get all the way down the track either.  Of course my "farm stock" engine or the 4mph class tractor needs some cooling, it's pretty boreing ride to go down the track at that speed.  I'd think pank's short runs to about 190 feet (or 100 feet behind the leaders) wouldn't require the use of any cooling devices, no matter how fast the pace is.  I went over 100 feet further many times and never did more then boil a little water in the cylinder head, or draw a little oil up the crankcase evacuater and into the exhaust.
Butch(OH) View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Butch(OH) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Jul 2013 at 4:03pm
I dont think I would approuch the subject of quality work if I had done this, and was proud of it. We will see what the excuse is this time, differs each time it is posted. Unfortunatly we cannot see the hack work on the rear wheels or wheelie bars.

Edited by Butch(OH) - 01 Jul 2013 at 4:05pm
Rod B View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rod B Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Jul 2013 at 4:13pm

Originally posted by Moderator Moderator wrote:

I don't care which side you are on.   Language and adult themes will not be tolerated. Consider yourselves warned. Another offense like that and your gone. If you wonder who is involved, here's a clue... If I deleted your post, you are involved.
post needs pending also.
el 
Orange Level 

Post Options Post Options    Thanks (0) Thanks(0) 
  Quote&amp;nbsp;wi50 Quote  Post ReplyReply
Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Jun 2013 at 11:30am

Those pistons should be a 2.94" compression height, meaning from the center of the wrist pin to the top of the piston measures 2.940".  They have a 70CC dish in them.

Now do the math for those specs and that piston in it's intended 4" stroke engine was right near 8 : 1 (7.85 : 1 to be exact) compression ratio.  Put it in a 4.5" stroke engine and figure the compression ratio... and you'll be in the 12.5 : 1 by simply trimming the tops enough to miss the head.  But you'll need a little valve relief, or trim the pistons more all around for clearance.

I put a set in like you wish to do, I trimmed about .050" off going from memory.  There is a direction arrow cast in the top of the pistons, some of it is still visable after I trimmed them.  I measured them, did the math and cut the appropriate amount to have some piston protrusion from the block deck to have them come up close to the head for a quench.  Then I cut the bowls out to allow for a compression reduction and cut valve reliefs in them.  I was aiming for a 11.25 : 1 compression ratio when I built it.  I just degreed the stock cam in at a 105* intake centerline.

There's a few varoius threads where I explained things, put some pictures up but you'll find nothing usefull other than a rant from our village idiot on how this or that is wrong, how it's impossiable to do in the first place....etc.

Point is it's easy to do, weather you want to trim all the relief off the top, or trim and build a quench engine, it's going to take some simple machine work
Looks like the Moderator was alright with WI refering to you as the village idiot, the post didn't get fixed or deleted.  On the other hand though you Cry to the Moderator is priceless. 

Maybe you should try fishing or golf Jealous Mitch.  In motor sports peoples feelings can get hurt and there's a lot of potential for disaster.  There I go again, hurting his feelings and pointing out his disasterous try at tractor pulling.
Glockhead SWMI View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Glockhead SWMI Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Jul 2013 at 4:55pm
A picture is worth a thousand words Butch... That is a pathetic attempt at best.
mlpankey View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mlpankey Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Jul 2013 at 5:35pm
The difference in southern puling and yankee pulling is we try to keep the water out of the oil and exhaust pan . I have seen so many northern tractors blow water at the end of the pull like marty does in his videos . Seen a natpa points winner that silicon glass had glued the piston rings to the piston . Its not to impressive or saying much for the competition. Then you yanks cant get past a picture of a mockup to see if it works before purchasing the braided hose and a n fittings . South is king in motorsports food beverage and women  .  At the national championship the yankee announcer couldn't anounce the ball game for being awe struck by Miss Alabama must of been the first southern bell he ever had seen. The copper was roll copper bent with long radius to reduce friction loss for mockup  but i agree it looks like a yankee women. ps yankee women the tn redneck will be in edinboro saturday. 

Edited by mlpankey - 01 Jul 2013 at 5:39pm
wi50 View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wi50 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Jul 2013 at 6:39pm

The difference in southern puling and yankee pulling is we try to keep the water out of the oil and exhaust pan . 

Our most quoted forum member does it once again.  Anyone care to guess what the exhaust pan is?  It's like a muffler belt or a Gleason crank welder, all non existant other than in someone's dreamy mind in TN.

mlpankey View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mlpankey Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Jul 2013 at 6:51pm
its a dream in your world . selecting sentences out of context is childish the point was yours and most north tractors blow water
CTuckerNWIL View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CTuckerNWIL Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Jul 2013 at 6:58pm
Mitch, the reason people keep pickin at you is you can't seem to learn from experience on this forum and you keep writing unintelligible remarks trying to show your knowledge which only proves your lack thereof.
 I read Marty's explanation of his video were you still think it's blowin water.
 At least it doesn't dump all it's water when the pistons come out the bottomBig smile
http://www.ae-ta.com
Lena 1935 WC12xxx, Willie 1951 CA6xx Dad bought new, 1954WD45 PS, 1960 D17 NF
mlpankey View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mlpankey Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Jul 2013 at 7:09pm
we have good beverages.  his moroso vacuum pump shouldn't blow oil at end either. shops closed for fourth when we get back assembly of a big ci  4 cylinder 226 will start i hope to post so marty can see how to build something large in aliis brand since he likes hanging out here. moline and case just isnt much of a repute.
kiss crankcase ventilation 

Edited by mlpankey - 01 Jul 2013 at 7:26pm
mlpankey View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mlpankey Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Jul 2013 at 7:29pm
sleeves out of a yankee water blower
CTuckerNWIL View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CTuckerNWIL Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Jul 2013 at 8:30pm
Mitch, if you make a proper sized plug and press them out, they won't get all busted up by the hammer blows. Big smile  
http://www.ae-ta.com
Lena 1935 WC12xxx, Willie 1951 CA6xx Dad bought new, 1954WD45 PS, 1960 D17 NF
Rod B View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rod B Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Jul 2013 at 8:40pm
Most 5th graders would understand how a crankcase evacuater works and how it could pull oil but this still eludes Mitch. Marty explained it in detail but you still don't understand. He said it was an evacuater and not a vacuume pump. Another childish attempt on your part Jealous Mitch.

Nice pics of a bunch of stock parts.
SF 49ers Fan View Drop Down
Silver Level
Silver Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SF 49ers Fan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Jul 2013 at 6:16am
Rob, There is no E in tomato. JBYA
XXXOOO'sHeart
Ken(MI) View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ken(MI) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Jul 2013 at 7:35am

What I'm wondering here Mitch, is if you understand the friction loss of that tubing that looks like it was borrowed from Grandpap's still? I would also like to remind you that the war has been over for some time now, so why all the Yankee cracks about women, food and your superior culinary skills? I know many fine people from the south, and always enjoy myself down there, but I really don't see all this superiority you claim. You may lay claim to Deliverance, but Burt Reynolds was born right here in Lansing, bet that fact blows your favorite movie for you. Why don't you quit trying to make us believe all these stories and just be anothere one of the guys? You seem to belittle guys like Gary, Marty, Butch, and others, but WHY? They are all known quantities, pictures of quality workmanship prove it and many have seen it in person, you make great claims, and then post pictures like the above, and virtually no one seems to come out of the woodwork and support your claims.
Butch(OH) View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Butch(OH) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Jul 2013 at 8:33am
Ken, If I thought I could stand 10 hours of rebel smak talk I'd snag Plinky for a Michigan specialty machine shop tour just so YOU have to clean up the dung pile left on your floor when He sees a real shop for the first time..Big smile  

Have you figured out the tubing bender yet, Haha!
Ken(MI) View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ken(MI) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Jul 2013 at 9:17am
No I haven't Butch, but I've got about 300 steel pretzels made from hydraulic tubing lying around my feet from trying to get it right. I am getting pretty handy with the cutter though.
Rod B View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rod B Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Jul 2013 at 9:30am
If your shop is closed for the 4th plinko and you are going to finish freshning up an engine you've been working on for months then you will be able to take the time and show us how the pistons are removed through the bottom.

I didn't think that it takes professional machine shops with 5 employes several months to freshen an engine, a complete pulling season will pass before you get it freshened, I can't imagine how many years it would take for you to build on on your own.  Is this why you are waiting on money to purchase cam cores?  Maybe those stories about the lazy and unmotivated southerners are true. 
Ihateillinoisnazis View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ihateillinoisnazis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Jul 2013 at 10:15am
Originally posted by SF 49ers Fan SF 49ers Fan wrote:

Rob, There is no E in tomato. JBYA
XXXOOO'sHeart

And there is no "b" in "Rod". If you wanna nit pick spelling you better have yours correct.   Nice try, next time try harder...
THE-MAN View Drop Down
Silver Level
Silver Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote THE-MAN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Jul 2013 at 11:11am
Nazi, it's probably the other half of mitchs split personality
Ihateillinoisnazis View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ihateillinoisnazis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Jul 2013 at 11:40am
Originally posted by wi50 wi50 wrote:

The difference in southern puling and yankee pulling is we try to keep the water out of the oil and exhaust pan . 

<FONT style=": #000000"> 

<FONT style=": #000000">Our most quoted forum member does it once again.  Anyone care to guess what the exhaust pan is?  It's like a muffler belt or a Gleason crank welder, all non existant other than in someone's dreamy mind in TN.

<FONT style=": #000000"> 

49 probably attended spunk's school of spelling. ...almost as fascinating as spunk's school of balance and air flow....
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123>
  Share Topic