This site is not affiliated with AGCO Inc., Duluth GA., Allis-Chalmers Co., Milwaukee, WI., or any surviving or related corporate entity. All trademarks remain the property of their respective owners. All information presented herein should be considered the result of an un-moderated public forum with no responsibility for its accuracy or usability assumed by the users and sponsors of this site or any corporate entity.
The Forum Parts and Services Unofficial Allis Store Tractor Shows Serial Numbers History
Forum Home Forum Home > Other Topics > Shops, Barns, Varmints, and Trucks
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

help with engine idle surging,,,,,,

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote desertjoe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: help with engine idle surging,,,,,,
    Posted: 06 Mar 2020 at 9:57pm

Our oldest Son has a 2000 Hyundai Elantra with the 4 cylinder engine and has got me buffaloed,,,, The car started getting a very high idle ,,,so I had him pull the throttle body as it had never been off and figured it was gummed up. After he got it off it was really junked up so,,,two cans of carb cleaner later,,it was finally good as new. He reinstalled it and now the engine just surges all the time. We did not bother any other part of the intake manifold neither can we hear a vacuum leak,,,,?? It just surges from idle to bout 2500 RPM,,,,
 Any ideas ,,,anybody   ???
Sponsored Links

Ted J View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ted J Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Mar 2020 at 10:06pm
Check with a vacuum gauge.  A lot of times you can't hear it anyway.  Even with GOOD hearing, which I don't have anymore.
I'd guess then that it could be a little slug of something in it, or the MAF sensor or the throttle position sensor.  Damn electronic crap....
Good luck Buddy.
Did you do the suggested steps??  Take out screw A,,,,,,,have a BL.  Take out screw B,,,,,,have a BL.  etc. Wink
"Allis-Express"
19?? WC / 1941 C / 1952 CA / 1956 WD45 / 1957 WD45 / 1958 D-17
fixer1958 View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote fixer1958 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Mar 2020 at 6:42am
Spray around the intake gasket with carb cleaner or propane. Torn or cracked snorkel tube to the throttle body. Binding throttle cables can hold it open just enough to confuse the chit out of the PCM. Check the egr for vacuum leaks if it has one.
ac fleet View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ac fleet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Mar 2020 at 9:18am
Most vacuum leaks are too small to hear but big enough to confuse sensors. re-trace your steps of what you touched during removal and re-install.
It sounds like some of the crud got washed into a small hole or jet during cleaning.--- another thing on these electronic control cars is that once something is touched, usually takes 200 miles of driving for them to reset themselves, so try that next.
TPS are picky too and it may be sticking.----could have been about ready to go south on you. There is a way to test them, but I dont know the procedure on your car. You can look it up in the tester manual.
http://machinebuildersnetwork.com/
desertjoe View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote desertjoe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Mar 2020 at 9:49am

OK,,well my Son says HE can hear a vacuum leak,,but I cannot,,,LOL,, so gonna try the sprayin around the intake manifold as I don't see any bad vacuum hoses,,,another thing he said was that when this started,,the engine would always like backfire out the intake BEFORE it would start then stumble for a few seconds before it would start running,,,,,?
jaybmiller View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jaybmiller Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Mar 2020 at 9:55am
Ok, look at it this way... TWENTY year old import... probably designed for 5-7 years, like the 'Big3', so ALL the 'rubber' vacuum hoses should be replaced. In moving #3 hose, it opens crack in #2 ,after you've replaced hose #1. Dang, ANOTHER leak....Don't bother wasting time, replace them all.
3 D-14s,A-C forklift, B-112
Kubota BX23S lil' TOOT( The Other Orange Tractor)

Never burn your bridges, unless you can walk on water
shameless dude View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote shameless dude Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Mar 2020 at 8:53pm
yep
Dnoym N. S. Can. View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dnoym N. S. Can. Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Mar 2020 at 9:09pm
9 out of ten time it`s
a vacuum leak around the intake manifold
at the head will make them idle hight

B:-)      Dnoym

desertjoe View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote desertjoe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Mar 2020 at 12:14am

Well,,,Now I know why them oriental people gots little bitty hands,,,,,Dang but they used pretty much all the real estate under the hood of this mofo,,,,,!!!! WHY,,didn't the friggin engineers just rotate the engines and make the intake manifold be in front of the engine instead of at the rear where there ain't no room,,,!!! My hands is gonna not like me tonight as I really struggled on gettin to the 4 bolts on the backside of the intake manifold,,,,whoooeeeee,,,but I finally got it off...!!!
 The intake gasket tells the story,,,at one place the gasket is broke between two cylinders and at another it was leakin to the outside or rather to the inside. A lot of his problems were the injectors. 3 of the 4 must of been shooting straight gasoline as the intake ports are gummed up BIG time. Only one even looks close to have been spraying clean,,!!
 Here's something to think about,,,, I called Oreillys and Autozone for the replacement injectors and like to fall over,,,,$117 EACH,,,yep, $117 EACH,!! So, for the heck of it I check out Ebay and there are several sellers the list a set of 4 for ,,,,,$40 yes,,,$40 for a set of 4 reman injectors. So, I go back to Oreillys and the ones they sell are remans also for $117 EACH or $468 for 4.  Amazon has the same injector set of 4 for $48. Something ain't right and somebody is makin a killing selling theirs for $117 each. That ain't captalism,,thats plain gouging the consumer.  I can wait for 3-4 days and save $428 bucks,,,,,Clap
jaybmiller View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jaybmiller Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Mar 2020 at 5:34am
'engineers' NEVER,EVER work on the stuff they design, NEVER. Slappin an iron ring on don't mean you KNOW squat ! My American would never hire any of them.
 NAPA, closest auto store to me has OBSCENE prices. I can literally drive past them 10 minutes and save 25-75% on everything....

oh yeah clocks need to Spring Ahead.....
3 D-14s,A-C forklift, B-112
Kubota BX23S lil' TOOT( The Other Orange Tractor)

Never burn your bridges, unless you can walk on water
Dnoym N. S. Can. View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dnoym N. S. Can. Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Mar 2020 at 6:16am
[QUOTE=desertjoe]A lot of his problems were the injectors. 3 of the 4 must of been shooting straight gasoline as the intake ports are gummed up BIG time. Only one even looks close to have been spraying clean,,!!

you may not need injectors because
with an intake leek the o2 sensor show
an lean reading so the computer add
more gas to make up for the lean reading
to keep the 02 sensor happy because of
the intake leek it dosn`t suck the gas in
as well so add more gas so there lots of
gas in the intake

HTH     B:-)            Dnoym

desertjoe View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote desertjoe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Mar 2020 at 7:45am

Well,Dnoym,,all the excess gasoline in the 3 chambers would explain why the car would backfire when trying to start engine,,,Those 3 combustion chambers are really gummed up big time is why I thought the injectors had issues with not atomizing the fuel and gumming up the chambers,,,??
chaskaduo View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote chaskaduo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Mar 2020 at 8:47am
They might clean up they might not, but for $48 I'd get the new ones especially if ya don't have to send the old ones back for core charge refund. Then if they do clean up you can save em or resell em.
1938 B, 79 Dynamark 11/36 6spd, 95 Weed-Eater 16hp, 2010 Bolens 14hp
desertjoe View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote desertjoe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Mar 2020 at 10:44am

Yeah,,Chask,,I'm fiddin to order those on Ebay. I'm just so danged flabbergasted at the obnoxious difference in the prices,,!!I'm tempted in pullin a Shameless,,,and go to Oreliiys and show em what I'm buying,,,,Jimminie St OPatricks,,,,!!!!
chaskaduo View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote chaskaduo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Mar 2020 at 11:48am
Yeah they advertise here they will beat any bonified brick and mortar store advertised price by 5% or $5. They'll scream it's Ebay, but they might give you 5% to still make the killing. $117 - $5.85 (5%) = $111.15 before tax, so you could buy 2 sets and pay the tax for the price of only 1 at discounted price. LOLLOLLOL  Of course the shipping could kill it lately these days. Pinch    The $48 Amazon ones might have the free shipping going for them. Smile

Edited by chaskaduo - 08 Mar 2020 at 11:51am
chaskaduo View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote chaskaduo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Mar 2020 at 12:07pm
desertjoe View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote desertjoe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Mar 2020 at 3:36am

Well,,I had to order the intake manifold gasket, and it finally came in yesterday. Got everything cleaned up and manifold installed,,them 4 bolts on the back wasn't so friggin bad goin back in. Got everything lashed up and waitin on the new injectors susspossed to be here tamarrow. I'll bet thet little ole engine is gonna purr like kitten,,,,Clap
 MANY THANKS for all the kind words and ,,,Help,,!!

Edited by desertjoe - 11 Mar 2020 at 3:37am
chaskaduo View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote chaskaduo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Mar 2020 at 2:52pm
That kid has got to love you. We already know how you feel.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic