This site is not affiliated with AGCO Inc., Duluth GA., Allis-Chalmers Co., Milwaukee, WI., or any surviving or related corporate entity. All trademarks remain the property of their respective owners. All information presented herein should be considered the result of an un-moderated public forum with no responsibility for its accuracy or usability assumed by the users and sponsors of this site or any corporate entity.
The Forum Parts and Services Unofficial Allis Store Tractor Shows Serial Numbers History
Forum Home Forum Home > Other Topics > Pulling Forum
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Help me diagnose my puller....

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cotncrzy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Help me diagnose my puller....
    Posted: 08 Nov 2012 at 7:37am
   I am pulling a WD with a E gleaner engine with flat top pistons, stock cam, TSX 853 carb. It has been a beast, we started in the 3500# and pulled it all the way to the 6000# at the pull before last. We are running a 16.9x26 tire, about 1/2 tread, "sharpened". Until last Saturday there has never been a power problem, we have always spun out. It has Protonix ignition, so no points problem. Several thought spark plugs will fix it, some how i have my doubts. My next hook is 300 miles away in Tunica Mississippi at the southern nationals. Anyone got any suggestions???? I don't want to go there running like this.   
C, WD45,WD puller, 185, 200, 7060 Red Belly, 7060 Black Belly,8010, and a R52 Gleaner, AND PROUD OF THEM!
Sponsored Links

KGood View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KGood Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Nov 2012 at 8:07am
Might check and see if the rocker arm shaft is still down and tight. I've seen that happen more than once to people.
AaronSEIA View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AaronSEIA Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Nov 2012 at 8:11am
What do you mean by power problem?  What does it do that it didn't do before?  Have you changed fuel or anything like that?  Maybe running some kind of alcohol based fuel (E85)? and have picked up some water over the season?  Maybe someone upset with you messed with your carb settings or turned you dist a bit?  I read about some crazy things happening at antique pulls.
AaronSEIA
wi50 View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wi50 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Nov 2012 at 8:23am
Put in some NGK plugs if you can find them, otherwise Autolite.  Just don't put Champions in...

I should know better and put a set of Champions in my outlaw WC puller just to get running after an engine tear down, figured they'd get oiled up messing around and I'd change them before we went to a pull anyway.  Well I rembered to do everything EXCEPT change the plugs.  That thing banged and poped and never lit up both runs that night.  Put in something else and it ran good.

How did it go last saturday?  Were you doing fine compared to the rest of the competition?  It doesn't take much in a track condition to suck up power, different sled, shorter chain, etc.  There may be nothing wrong at all.  My WD45 can spin out on one good hard clay track and snub on the next one that you think is going to take less power.
"see what happens when you have no practical experience doing something...... you end up playing with calculators and looking stupid on the internet"
mlpankey View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mlpankey Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Nov 2012 at 2:30pm

the ones that thought it were plugs did it miss to make them think that?   ngk is the plug been running them since the 70s  . youve also went through a season change sometimes cooler dense air takes a little different tune not to mention tunica may be a change in elevation . just make a good check list new plugs with gapped checked new fuel filter if have one if not clean sediment bowl . fresh fuel ,clean carb ,check rockers  change coil and plug wires if ran a couple of seasons allready change oil and filter battery is good and hot if running altenator make sure its not letting voltage drop the normal ready for competition checks.

Edited by mlpankey - 08 Nov 2012 at 2:35pm
cotncrzy View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cotncrzy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Nov 2012 at 5:42am
  I dont feel as if anyone had tampered with anything, I am running side shields because this very thing Aaron spoke of was happening at pulls. WI50, as far as how we done, it's hard to say, not as many tractors there. We beat stuff that wasnt supposed to be beat,(a 400 cid M farmall running 9 mph in the 4000#. and 4500#) but was beat by some in the same class that never has done it before. We hooked 5 times and got four trophys. The tractor seemed to "flood" for lack of any other discription. This is what sparked the spark plug suggestions, it has never missed. I have rerouted the breather back through the hood when we put on side shields, two inches longer but the same any other way. Nothing else changed. I have wanted to lean the fuel up some but have been warned that the oxygenated fuel I run needs to be rich. I run autolite #64 plug, gapped to specs. mlpankey, I will look into NGK plugs. Thanks for the ideas, I plan on checkng the valves, ignition timing etc. 
C, WD45,WD puller, 185, 200, 7060 Red Belly, 7060 Black Belly,8010, and a R52 Gleaner, AND PROUD OF THEM!
mlpankey View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mlpankey Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Nov 2012 at 7:05am
some of the oxygenated fuels . the one s with propylene oxide can gel and gunk up when in contact with metal but i would think that would lean you up unless float is stuck and your filling the air tube with fuel.
cotncrzy View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cotncrzy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Nov 2012 at 7:55am
 I am running VP's Q16. An elect. fuel pump. drain carb and lines every time it sits for a day. I feel sure the pump is still holding fuel, and some sags in the lines. I am using a front mounted tank due to rust and leaks in the stock one. If the float sticks, it will flood out quick! been there done that...
mlpankey View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mlpankey Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Nov 2012 at 10:19am
Seroius octane for serious compression.  I use to have to clean the carb alot when i didnt in hard pull it acted like you just cut the switch off start back up and run all the way to the tool box idle and everything under no load.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic