This site is not affiliated with AGCO Inc., Duluth GA., Allis-Chalmers Co., Milwaukee, WI., or any surviving or related corporate entity. All trademarks remain the property of their respective owners. All information presented herein should be considered the result of an un-moderated public forum with no responsibility for its accuracy or usability assumed by the users and sponsors of this site or any corporate entity.
The Forum Parts and Services Unofficial Allis Store Tractor Shows Serial Numbers History
Forum Home Forum Home > Other Topics > Pulling Forum
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

heads

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mufflerboltz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: heads
    Posted: 04 Sep 2013 at 12:54pm
Which head is better for a 226 pulling engine, the wd45 head or the WC? Can one be better with a little work?
Sponsored Links

WCCLASON View Drop Down
Silver Level
Silver Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote WCCLASON Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Sep 2013 at 8:41pm
I would say it depends what you are going to do with it. I have a 240ci motors in both my WC and do fine as far as my rules go and i have ported 3'' heads. There are good things about both heads. Alot of guys like the 4'' heads of the 45's and up but i had all the small hed and i made them work for me. If you are building a big RPM.... or Big cube motor the taller head has more  room for porting before getting into trouble..Just my opinion Im sure more people will correct me and give their opinion but this is what i know and it works good for me.
mufflerboltz View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mufflerboltz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Sep 2013 at 6:25am
I am starting to round parts up for my WC puller project I have for the winter and have almost everything so i was wondering about the head. I am sure in the rules with the club I'll be pulling with it states the block and head have to be stock appearing so to me that leaves a gray area where it sounds like it doesn't have to be factory equipped?! 
WCCLASON View Drop Down
Silver Level
Silver Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote WCCLASON Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Sep 2013 at 8:03am
if you can get one I would use the 4'' head. That's way you have room to port. Depending on how big your going put bigger intake valves in. I also have heard that the big head the spark plugs pockets in the bottom of the head are not as receded in the 4'' head as well.

Im sure you can get away with a 4'' because even some late WD had the tall head... if I remember right. May be wrong...
Kip-Utah View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kip-Utah Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Sep 2013 at 8:55am
In stock configuration or mildly ported one head is really as good as the other, especially if you are using flat top pistons. I do think that the sparkplug location in the tall head is better when using crater pistons. At some point in time the tall head did become the factory replacement head for the earlier version if this becomes an issue with your club rules. This is also true of the engine blocks. Our 1941 WC had a WD45 type replacement block installed by a dealer in the 1950s. It did have all 201 WC internals and the original "short" head. When we built this engine with a 45 crank etc. we did use the later "tall" style head just because we had one available and we were using 170 power crater pistons.
HANSEN'S OLD ORANGE IRON. Showing, Pulling, & Going!!
wi50 View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wi50 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Sep 2013 at 9:56am
I've got various old heads cut apart to see the internal coreing and how they're made.   I've spent more than a few hours of time porting on these heads and on the flow bench.

The only advantage to the tall head is the spark plug location.  But is it really any adavantage or not?  I was able to get spark across the cylinder well past 6000 RPM on one with a short head.  Just radius around the plug pocket and don't worry about it.
"see what happens when you have no practical experience doing something...... you end up playing with calculators and looking stupid on the internet"
jpankey View Drop Down
Silver Level
Silver Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jpankey Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Sep 2013 at 1:24pm
heres a wc head numbers stock with exception of valve job 28 inches on a 4.600 bore fixture.
valve lift       cfm
.100             67
.200              88
.300             107
.400             108
a z code gleaner same bore fixture same valve grind at 28 inches
.100              68
.200              114
.300              129
.400              144
exhust no pipe
wc head
valve lift    cfm
.100           62
.200           118
.300           140
.400           144
z gleaner exhaust
.100           58
.200           105
.300           145
.400           172
wi50 View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wi50 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Sep 2013 at 7:42am
Originally posted by jpankey jpankey wrote:

heres a wc head numbers stock with exception of valve job 28 inches on a 4.600 bore fixture.
valve lift       cfm
.100             67
.200              88
.300             107
.400             108
a z code gleaner same bore fixture same valve grind at 28 inches
.100              68
.200              114
.300              129
.400              144
exhust no pipe
wc head
valve lift    cfm
.100           62
.200           118
.300           140
.400           144
z gleaner exhaust
.100           58
.200           105
.300           145
.400           172

You should take this as an opportunity to learn something pankey, not to argue. I'm going to explain why these numbers are not accurate, why you pay for a flow test and someone takes your money and gets you out of the shop as fast as possible. The man you are paying is probably quite good at this kind of work, but is in a hurry to get your $100 and get the "TVA clowns" out of the shop as like many others they simply do not know the difference.

Lets look at your .100" flow numbers for example. You say that of the two heads they flow 67 and 68 CFM at .100" lift with a 28"H2O depression which is pretty much standard when comparing numbers.

How big is the intake valve in these heads? Well you say it's stock heads you are comparing with a simple valve job. 1.688" is the intake valve diameter. Now lets look at the effective seat diameter you can have on a valve of this size. Say a 45 degree seat and even taking full advantage of that valve still leads to a throat diameter of X.XX"    Valve lift X valve seat area = valve curtain area.

Pay attention because this is important. Valve curtain area X 141 will = your potential valve flow. Now where does the 141 CFM per sq inch of curtain area come in? Research it. Though the valve seat and angles can be a very efficient orifice, quite often flow can exceed this number it's only by a small percentage. But flow through an orifice with a poor discharge coefficient such as a flat head like the ones you are testing will not. Now put a well shaped chamber around those valves and the flow can increase for all other things the same.

Why are your results showing about 40 CFM more than what they should show? Like I said earlier it goes back to getting someone out the shop as quick as possible, or simply not giving a hoot. Where's the leak? There's a lot of very well designed Chevy heads with 2.02" intake valves that flow in the low 60 at .100" lift, the 2.08" that flow in the higher 60's at .100" lift. These heads have a well shaped port and a well shaped chamber, a much better valve bowl to seat area than the old 226 Allis head. Actually these well designed heads when looking at the flow numbers will flow verry close to 200 CFM per sq inch of curtain area for the valve seat orifice. If we used that same ratio to your poor designed and shaped Allis head we would still only see just a tad over 40 CFM. How in the world do you get 67 and 68 CFM? When something doesn't make sense, figure out why. Are the valves being sucked open during the test? Head bolt holes exposed? Where's the leak? is the bench set correctly? Often a quick check will find the problem.       

Now as the valve lift is increased the flow numbers increase, we start to see how the port effects the heads flow, the more air moving through the port the more we can see how efficient a port is. Take the .400 lift numbers for example, if .400 is 4X .100 for valve curtain area and potential flow then why do we not see 4X the flow? The port restricts it, the shape of these Allis heads is terrible. That corner in them pretty much kills any flow improvements past about .350-400" valve lift. Start cutting the corner back and rolling the floor into a well shaped valve bowl and the numbers will increase.

Last but not least, exhaust ports should ALWAYSE be tested with a tube attached at least the port diameter. Otherwise the test simply isn't accurate. You wouldn't test an intake port without a radiused entry, those tests would not be accurate and the numbers would be useless. Exhaust flow testing is no different.

When I work on an engine, I figure how much air it will need, figure an estimate of what the carb and manifold being used will support and start to size a valve from there. Then is the valve way to big or to small for the port? From that point I start to make a compromise to make the best possible package with the given restrictions at hand.

Get some accurate results from tests, maybe put the head on your imaginary Superflow or Saenz in the corner opposite of your imaginary Gleason. Take some pictures and show us, when you learn something go build a real engine and go compete to show us what you know. Untill then run some numbers and scratch your head. Some of the numbers you have in your flow tests above are accurate and close to what I've seen, though some of them are very far off, not just a little off as in to be the difference from one head to another head, one day to the next.

Edited by wi50 - 12 Sep 2013 at 8:22am
"see what happens when you have no practical experience doing something...... you end up playing with calculators and looking stupid on the internet"
THE-MAN View Drop Down
Silver Level
Silver Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote THE-MAN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Sep 2013 at 12:29pm
Good explanation Marty. One cannot deny the benefits of your work, especially when I had before and after dyno results. The difference was amazing!
jpankey View Drop Down
Silver Level
Silver Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jpankey Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Sep 2013 at 6:29pm
The valve diameters was stock the valve angles weren't they were the same 5 angle job though.   If you test a good double hump sbc you will find the intakes flow 180 and the exhaust flows 140ish   . The allis head is reversed which is bad cause exhaust should only flow 80 percent like the sbc head .   This is why brother Ml has posted several times changing the cam so four straight exhaust ports were now intake ports would be a advantage but realize one should test the exhaust ports as intake ports before making the decision. A fellow once asked brother what a 1 3/8 inch port would potentially flow you can still find that post where brother replied . Ps when you start doing work for drag racers like Brian Mitchell let us know.

Edited by jpankey - 12 Sep 2013 at 6:37pm
mgburchard View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mgburchard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Sep 2013 at 7:20pm
anyone who looks at highest cfm at highest valve lift isnt going to make any power any way.  Anyone who makes power knows its the cfm average across all lifts  .
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mufflerboltz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Sep 2013 at 8:17pm
One question, what does any of this have to do with the original thread?! I just wanted to know if there was any advantage to using one head over their other!
jpankey View Drop Down
Silver Level
Silver Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jpankey Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Sep 2013 at 8:21pm
look at the average flow numbers posted on each head . I think it will answer its self for you.
wi50 View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wi50 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Sep 2013 at 11:52am
The purpose of my post mufflerbolts was to mathematically show that there are some people here who simply have no idea what they are talking about and that their information is as useless as the bandwidth taken up buy it.
Ihateillinoisnazis View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ihateillinoisnazis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Sep 2013 at 12:11pm
Originally posted by mufflerboltz mufflerboltz wrote:

One question, what does any of this have to do with the original thread?! I just wanted to know if there was any advantage to using one head over their other!

Last time I checked the best information is the information that is backed by data and a good explanation of it. There's a lot of information on this site, some with little credibility. People that know what they are doing will explain what they are doing with data and clear concise answers. People who don't know what they are doing (no names mentioned) will have a convoluted explanation that usually ends with no real answer or drift off on a tangent far from the solution. Wi gave you the answer to your head question along with data and an explanation to show he has done more than peck at a keyboard and look around someone else's shop to take pictures to post on the Internet.
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mufflerboltz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Sep 2013 at 12:38pm
Nothing against you WI or anyone alike, the thread was headed towards an argument that would have traveled far from the point. I appreciate all your input and intend to call you soon for answers about my winter project. It was asked because there are others that bring up stuff that I get tired of reading through also don't really care about small blocks or race engines, suppose to be about pulling engines. To me they are far cry to be the same thing. Or correct me if I'm wrong.
jpankey View Drop Down
Silver Level
Silver Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jpankey Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Sep 2013 at 4:34pm
I tell you this wi and ml are two peas in a pod . Both have posted that anyone besides them flows a head it has a air leak . Well air leaks on a flow bench pretty easy to find cause you have a measured airflow with the valve on the seat. So lets entertain this 40 cfm supposed air leak . Both heads exhibit close cfm readings at .100 valve lifts so now that would be in the twenties and the three inch head would be in the sixties at .400 and the 4 inch would be 100 cfm at .400 . Pretty clear still that one is better than the other.
   Then we get a valve curtain area formula and wi uses a 45 degree angle . I never posted valve angles other than saying valve grind wasn't stock but was the same for both heads. Lets o with the 45 degree single angle wi proposed. If I move that 1.6 valve .100 of valve lift I have 72 thousandths of a inch gap for air to flow all around the valve . I will let the reader decide if that area will only flow 28 cfm or 68 cfm for themselves . I also didn't post if it had a top cut and a back cut or the angle of either . A 30 degree angle at .100 vave lift has a measurable gap of 87 thousandths of a inch . By this you can clearly see the advantage of a back cut at low lift . The top cut plays more into mid and full lift values . The correct top cut can easily raise mid lift by 20 cfm and more at full lift. Then there is also convergence and the stem diameter plays into those formulas as well.
Butch(OH) View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Butch(OH) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Sep 2013 at 7:25am
Sure would be nice to get through one or two technical postings on this forum without the VI mucking it up wouldn't it??? 

Where IS the Gleason????

jpankey View Drop Down
Silver Level
Silver Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jpankey Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Sep 2013 at 4:23pm
yeah tell me about it . you post good flow numbers for a person and someone who claims he has tested several heads says a 1.688 valve wouldn't flow 144 cfm at .400 lift that's only about 65 percent of what its capable of . The gleason jameson has one for sale if you want to just see one. If you want to be like ML I am sure Jameson will sale it to you along with a press and a crank grinder to get you equal.
Glockhead SWMI View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Glockhead SWMI Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Sep 2013 at 4:44pm
Here we go again... 
DonDittmar View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DonDittmar Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Sep 2013 at 5:45pm
Just saw Marty pull on the RFD pulls in Tomah!!
Experience is a fancy name for past mistakes. "Great moments are born from great opportunity"

1968 D15D,1962 D19D
Also 1965 Cub Loboy and 1958 JD 720 Diesel Pony Start
Hudsonator View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hudsonator Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Sep 2013 at 6:42pm
"When I work on an engine, I figure how much air it will need, figure an estimate of what the carb and manifold being used will support and start to size a valve from there. Then is the valve way to big or to small for the port? From that point I start to make a compromise to make the best possible package with the given restrictions at hand."

Best piece of concise engine building tech on here.  Its also where most folks go "off the rails" - going way overboard in one aspect that compromises the package as a whole.
There isn't much a WC can't do.

WD's just do it better.
Butch(OH) View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Butch(OH) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Sep 2013 at 7:34pm
Originally posted by Hudsonator Hudsonator wrote:

"When I work on an engine, I figure how much air it will need, figure an estimate of what the carb and manifold being used will support and start to size a valve from there. Then is the valve way to big or to small for the port? From that point I start to make a compromise to make the best possible package with the given restrictions at hand."

Best piece of concise engine building tech on here.  Its also where most folks go "off the rails" - going way overboard in one aspect that compromises the package as a whole.

I would call that "enough said"  Mark Thumbs Up
Glockhead SWMI View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Glockhead SWMI Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Sep 2013 at 9:00am
I missed the RFD tv pulls. I'll have to watch for the repeat.
wi50 View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wi50 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Sep 2013 at 11:21am

yeah tell me about it . you post good flow numbers for a person and someone who claims he has tested several heads says a 1.688 valve wouldn't flow 144 cfm at .400 lift that's only about 65 percent of what its capable of . The gleason jameson has one for sale if you want to just see one. If you want to be like ML I am sure Jameson will sale it to you along with a press and a crank grinder to get you equal.

Well I'll play along with pankey brothers...or pankey referring to himself in third person from his wife's computer. What did you "boys" parents have against education anyway? Neither one of you have any reading comprehension skills.

Anyway the 144 @ .400 lift isn't the problem, nor did I point that out. 67 or 68 at .100 lift is where you boys are looking at data that you know nothing about and the guy giving you those numbers doesn't care, he just wants to be left alone (none of us would blame him). You should be seeing actual results somewhere in the higher 20's to mid 30's for CFM for that test, not double that. I also pointed out per your statement that no exhaust tube was used, that you boys should do a little research, for accurate tests proper equipment has to be used, you alwayse test with a tube on an exhaust port. This also tells me that someone wanted to just get the job done and the clowns out the door.

I've got lots of tests and data from these heads, like I said earlier, there is really no difference, the core prints used for the patterns when casting are identical, my testing shows that they are very similar and the differences being no more than one head to another, try a few of the same or pull a test on a few different ports in the same head and you'll get slightly different numbers from each. When you get differences like pank is saying there is, then it's time to figure out where the error is being made.

Here's a little story so you have something useful to think about, and maybe some others will think about it or try something. I wanted to see what moving the intake valve in closer to the port would do on an Allis head. Air doesn't like to turn, so I slugged the valve guide bore and drilled a new hole .100" offset closer to the intake port to get the valve closer to inline with the port, then centered off it and cut new valve bowl and seat area, did some porting work to cut the corner out of the intake port but stay in the original casting and not cut into the water jacket. I put the same size valve, only a 1.85" in both the OEM location and in the offset and pulled some tests. It lost a very insignificant 2 CFM at .050 and .100 lifts by moving the valve but by .200 lift the offset was 10 cfm ahead of the OEM located valve, and by .400 lift it was 35 cfm ahead, by .500 it was around 40 cfm over the OEM located valve. And that was with only a 1.85" valve.

It was very simple to move the valve, I knocked the guides out, threaded the guide bore and made a solid slug threaded with a center to screw in the guide bore. I simply moved off my center in the milling machine and poked a new hole for a bronze guide liner.

Anyway my point is that messing around with stock valves, or putting in larger valves, trying various seat angles, valve bowl angles, etc, offset valves the numbers always make sense, when they are erroneous then it's time to find the problem.

By the way, I've got a nice Superflow 600 flow bench that I wouldn't mind selling......pank should buy it and make us a video of turning the switch on and off, I've even got bore adapters made for many tractor heads and exhaust tubes, radius inlets etc that can go with it.

Edited by wi50 - 18 Sep 2013 at 12:15pm
wi50 View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wi50 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Sep 2013 at 11:38am
Originally posted by DonDittmar DonDittmar wrote:

Just saw Marty pull on the RFD pulls in Tomah!!

I just seen that, someone sent it to me. We had a job over 100 miles away last night and I wasn't able to be home, nor did I know it was on.

By far not a great run, but good enough to get down the track, I think it was the 4th run on the new engine, turbos and fuel system. It was running very cold, rich on fuel, so I brought the boost up to try and burn that fuel up and hopefully make another several hundred HP, get the exhaust temps up where they needed to be. It all makes sense, but in reality, the extra air pressure closes the fuel returns off (boost sensors on the fuel tank) faster and harder and floods the engine worse than before. I was a gear to low also, the day before most of the tractors went to sleep in the mid 200's for distance down the track, it pulled so hard down there that most of them just wouldn't build enough torque to pull through it. We dropped a gear, and with the fuel being rich it was a good combination and we did quite well. Saturday though I should have been a gear faster.

After Tomah I plumbed the idle different and took some fuel away from the idle circuit and got it to light quicker, then shimmed the P valves higher to hold the mid and high stages back for a few more RPM, within a couple weeks I had it running real good, good enough to get by some of the very good tractors a couple times. It just seams like it takes a dozen runs to get things tuned closer. Second chances are to expensive, so small adjustments at a time. Winter upgrades are a MSD Pro Mag 44 for ignition, different valves and springs in the head and hopefully some sheet metal and decal upgrades.
jpankey View Drop Down
Silver Level
Silver Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jpankey Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Sep 2013 at 5:29pm
its funny there is a thread in the farm forum about Miss Allis sprint car flowing enough air in the sixties through the cylinder head to make over 300 hp. I think I remember a 28 degree valve angle being mention. One can search it I guess. Like they can search the picture of the wi wc tractor with a nitrous bottle strapped on it or the Indy cylinder head for the case. Half the battle is to know where to purchase performance , Who knows if he had played with a calculator or computer his valve springs might not be this years excuse. lol
jpankey View Drop Down
Silver Level
Silver Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jpankey Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Sep 2013 at 5:47pm
no cylinder head on the market will flow 141cfm a square inch Not even a hemi head. 80 to 113 yes and sometimes at 113 power suffers from the cfm loss at low lift can not be made up .
wi50 View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wi50 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Sep 2013 at 9:28pm
If you had some brains, you would look back through this thread, where I give the 141 cfm per square inch as an example is specificaly where I say VALVE CURTAIN AREA.....go back and read my post. It's alright, go back it's spelled out clearly. Now you say that that number is impossiable to achieve (but you don't know what you're talking about). Yet you are trying to back up your phony results of 68 cfm for a 1.68" diameter valve at .100" lift. If you are bright enough figure the curtain area of that opening, take your measured flow and divide by the area .....you will get over 200 cfm per square inch. But you just said that over 141 was impossiable in your last post.

Good luck argueing with yourself.... ( I know you missed the whole calve curtain area part) .I'm simply pointing out facts that some could find usefull if the thread doesn't get to mucked up by the village idiot.

By the way, when figuering port cross sectional area to flow ratio, it's nice to see them peak out around 120 cfm per square inch of port cross sectional area when the valve is at peak lift. This gives good port velocity. There's some heads that will go higher, take for example a Chev Vortec iron head, 1.74 sq in area , 240 cfm at .500 loft gives the port 137 cfm sq inch ratio, that's good velocity. We just don't see those good of numbers on these tractor heads. At a certain point the smaller cross sectional area chokes the engine, but to large of a CSA is no good. This is why I say it's nice to see them peak out around 120 cfm sq in, but it's alwayse a comprimise when dealing with these parts.

It's piontless to try and post any good information on how to properly size and shape things, how to target certain relationships between sizes and areas. Some find the information usefull but to much muck from someone unablr to read and understand the information presented to them. At least the pankey boys are makeing an attempt to read. A bit of comprehension skills with the new found reading skills and we just might get somewhere.

Edited by wi50 - 18 Sep 2013 at 9:34pm
THE-MAN View Drop Down
Silver Level
Silver Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote THE-MAN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Sep 2013 at 5:19am

Half the battle is to know where to purchase performance.

Yup, that why I and a lot of others on here have all purchased quailty heads, cams, or rotating assemblies from Wi. Imagine that! Stuff that works like he says it will!

You bring up someones name and I talk to them, and its a fight because that cant dis-associate themselves with your name fast enough!
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic