This site is not affiliated with AGCO Inc., Duluth GA., Allis-Chalmers Co., Milwaukee, WI., or any surviving or related corporate entity. All trademarks remain the property of their respective owners. All information presented herein should be considered the result of an un-moderated public forum with no responsibility for its accuracy or usability assumed by the users and sponsors of this site or any corporate entity.
The Forum Parts and Services Unofficial Allis Store Tractor Shows Serial Numbers History
Forum Home Forum Home > Allis Chalmers > Construction and other equipment
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Hd6g alternator

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Silver Level
Silver Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Leop Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Hd6g alternator
    Posted: 04 Dec 2018 at 12:07am
Hope im not asking too many questions here. But i have a ac hd6g loader crawler. It had a nice brushless 24 volt alternator on it that had seen submarine duty with some mud and river rock until it finaly locked up. I could get it running again, but in the mean time its winter and i need her batteries to always have a good charge for these winter cold starts.

Does anyone know of a 12 volt (im comfortable converting a 12 volt to 24 volt) or 24 volt alternator that will physicaly fit the motor with stock brakets and have a properly lined up pully? I am still running positive ground, so i know that limits my choices. Do most people convert to negative ground?
Sponsored Links

DMiller View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DMiller Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Dec 2018 at 6:12am
There are no 12/24v converter alternators, to do as you want look to ebay or one of the tractor supply companies for a 24v, as to changing + to - ground, the starter does not care and neither does the ammeter, swapping cables is the only thing need to do once install a neg grd alternator. If the old one on your machine is in fact a Generator then will have to disable and bypass the generator regulator that used to control it. Will most likely have to build a new mount to change from Generator to Alternator.

Edited by DMiller - 04 Dec 2018 at 6:13am
Leop View Drop Down
Silver Level
Silver Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Leop Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Dec 2018 at 10:56am
Im positive that the alternator was in fact an alternator. Took it appart and verified 3 phase winding, diode packs, and lack of a commutator.

If i switch to neg ground the starter leads need to be reversed in order to not spin backwards?

How about the gauges? Do they have floating grounds, Or would i have to replace the gauges or isolate thier mounts?

Any idea how much amperage to shoot for. I would like to install some lights for night work, a radio, maybe an inverter to run a skill saw in the field now and then? Any opinions about how much is a good amount?

I dont think that Budha engine uses electric glow plugs. Or does it?

Leo
DMiller View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DMiller Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Dec 2018 at 1:14pm
A 6G should have a Delco 40MT starter on it, it does not care as to polarity, is just a directional motor, wound for one direction. All the instruments save the ammeter should be mechanical and also do not care, the ammeter is looking at amps not volts so it too does not care just except as to direction of flow. If it already had been converted to alternator then should be a swap change to another as someone has already converted the mounts. Trace the wiring from the alternator, should be one wire to BATT, and if externally regulated a pair of smaller wires for that.
Ian Beale View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ian Beale Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Dec 2018 at 2:50pm
Down here Bosch is the go to for alternators.  I put one on our AC 45 grader.  Just had to weld the Bosch mount on the generator mount so it lined up.  Used the AC adjuster strap.
Can't remember whether I had to go for a longer belt.  Had to change the pulley - the one from the Delco generator fitted but had no key so I had to locktite the nut.

There is a post on this on here somewhere back in bc.
Eric B View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Eric B Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Dec 2018 at 4:36pm
I used to have a 1979 GMC General dump truck with a Delco Alternator that delivered both 12 and 24 volts at the same time just from separate terminals. Most other trucks with 24 volt starters had the "S" switch but not the General trucks. If you have the MT40 starter you can easily find a 12 volt one, new or used and keep everything 12v. 
Currently- WD,WC,3WF's,2 D14's B. Previously- I 600,TL745,200,FL9,FR12,H3,816 LBH. Earth has no sorrow that Heaven cannot heal!
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic