This site is not affiliated with AGCO Inc., Duluth GA., Allis-Chalmers Co., Milwaukee, WI., or any surviving or related corporate entity. All trademarks remain the property of their respective owners. All information presented herein should be considered the result of an un-moderated public forum with no responsibility for its accuracy or usability assumed by the users and sponsors of this site or any corporate entity.
The Forum Parts and Services Unofficial Allis Store Tractor Shows Serial Numbers History
Forum Home Forum Home > Allis Chalmers > Construction and other equipment
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

HD6E Help

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ACHD6E Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: HD6E Help
    Posted: 10 Mar 2020 at 12:50pm
I just purchased this HD6E serial number 20077. The previous owner was going to scrap it and I thought it still had life in it so I told him I would take it. The story is it ran when parked 6 years ago and the only known problem was the radiator had a leak. My goal is to try and get it running and use it for some projects around the farm and possibly restore at some point. I have no idea where to start with getting it running after sitting for so long. Any advice or words of wisdom would be much appreciated. 

Sponsored Links

DMiller View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DMiller Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Mar 2020 at 2:40pm
Grill will need to come off, need to see where the possible leak is, need to try to access the petcock(Lower Left as facing radiator) and see if has water or actual coolant remaining in it. IF that looks OK, then looking at ALL the lubricants and fluids, this has hydraulically operated steering clutches the 344 engine. Before cranking at all will need to drain fuel off at the tank, see if is cloudy, or has water in it. This is a starting point.
ACHD6E View Drop Down
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ACHD6E Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Mar 2020 at 4:06pm
Thanks for the input. The fuel was my biggest concern. I didn’t know what to check or do before trying to crank it over. I don’t want to mess something up in the fuel system. My goal is to see if I can get it going long enough to get it on a trailer to get it home. Probably a long shot but worth a try. Once home I plan to go through and change all the fluids and maintenance items.
Ian Beale View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ian Beale Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Mar 2020 at 4:38pm
What fuel pump is on it?

There are pretty severe warnings that if it is an American  Bosch PSB pump that has sat that long DON"T turn it until you know it is free.  At the risk of internal mayhem and parts unobtainable
DMiller View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DMiller Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Mar 2020 at 6:04pm
Has to be a PSB Ian on this series.
ACHD6E View Drop Down
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ACHD6E Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Mar 2020 at 6:28pm
What is the best practice to make sure it is free?
Ian Beale View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ian Beale Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Mar 2020 at 11:41pm
Ages Cat View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ages Cat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Mar 2020 at 8:50am
The fuel shutoff will stick on the PSB pump. The biofuel makes it worse. You may have a pump that is free but it won't start because of this.
Curt Anderson
HD3, HD5B, HD6E, HD6AG,HD6B dozer, I-400, 615, 616,(2) 620, 720, ACP25 lift truck, 1956 D Special Grader, AC 540 loader, AC 655 crawler loader, AC #84 plow, Simplicity lawn tractors.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic