This site is not affiliated with AGCO Inc., Duluth GA., Allis-Chalmers Co., Milwaukee, WI., or any surviving or related corporate entity. All trademarks remain the property of their respective owners. All information presented herein should be considered the result of an un-moderated public forum with no responsibility for its accuracy or usability assumed by the users and sponsors of this site or any corporate entity.
The Forum Parts and Services Unofficial Allis Store Tractor Shows Serial Numbers History
Forum Home Forum Home > Allis Chalmers > Construction and other equipment
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Hd6e electric

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 1950WD Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Hd6e electric
    Posted: 23 Sep 2017 at 4:45pm
Hey there,
Anyone out there help with a electrical problem I'm expieriancing get power to my starter from the batteries. It has 4 New 6 volt batteries all connected correctly but I cannot get any power from the batteries to the bendix or starter . master switch is on and cables are live when I test them at the batteries all show 6 volts. But no matter where I probe I can never get more than 6 volts anywhere. If its 4 batteries I would think its either 12 or 24 volt system batteries are negative to negative positive to positive. I can make it begin to roll over by jumping to the bendix and manually engaging it there. Any insite would be appreciated..
Thanks
Les
Sponsored Links

DMiller View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DMiller Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Sep 2017 at 6:18pm
Need to have the batteries set up in series, Neg to hot starter post off the first battery, pos to the neg of the next then the next until at the last battery where the Pos remaining open post goes to ground. 24V at end.

Edited by DMiller - 23 Sep 2017 at 6:22pm
Coke-in-MN View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Coke-in-MN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Sep 2017 at 11:10am
_ to + from each batter to next  + cable to tractor frame for last connection of the 4 batteries - _ to solonoid on starter at termination of cable . 
 For ease 2 12v batteries each of the 900 amp would have worked also connected in series 

Faith isn't a jump in the dark. It is a walk in the light. Faith is not guessing; it is knowing something.
"Challenges are what make life interesting; overcoming them is what makes life meaningful."
1950WD View Drop Down
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 1950WD Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Sep 2017 at 12:34pm
Thanks Gentlemen,
interesting thing is that we bought this machine 15 yrs ago and have not changed the configuration of the batteries, and have used it quite a bit in the early days and then has time went on it became harder and harder to start unless we jumped ahead to the bendix and got more juice that way. so it is a positive ground system and 24V as well.. It is a really good machine that doesn't seem to have been used much, sprockets are very good and everything is there including good paint.. It will be a while before I can try to rearrange the battery cables as it lives in the upper peninsula 400 mi north of my home. Thanks for the info.. I'll post pics when she's up and running..

Les
jerbob View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jerbob Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Oct 2017 at 7:48am
Where's home 1950? I just brought home a HD 16 purchased in MtPleasent area. I am in Jackson,Michigan.
1950WD View Drop Down
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 1950WD Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Oct 2017 at 8:16am
Home was Ottawa Lake Monroe county, family farm there for Many Years, 1962 moved to the Ann Arbor area and the  WD tractor followed and hobby farmed. I ended up with a  it as I drove it on the farm at 4yrs old..

The HD6 was from that area as well and my Brother had known the machine for many years and told me when I bought property in the u.p that it would be a good old machine for clearing trails, I acquired a rake for it and it's a good machine for that use, but just not easy to start.. the Machine in the experts (older broither) eyes has little hours on it and is very tight. he has had Allis dozers in his business  over the years.. including two HD21's and an HD5 back in the day.  he is based out of Deerfield and has forgot more than most of us will ever know about this stuff..
jerbob View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jerbob Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Oct 2017 at 5:14pm
Great history and thank you.
I'm originally from Detroit but family moved to Jackson when I was 8. Have always loved heavy equipment and dozers my childhood favorite. Ran smaller dozers in the 70's when I worked in construction. Mostly John Deere 350's and 450's, a TD15 and an old D7. Was training to become an Operating Engineer. My HD16 is a 1961 and low original hours (3200) but very abused and neglected.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic