This site is not affiliated with AGCO Inc., Duluth GA., Allis-Chalmers Co., Milwaukee, WI., or any surviving or related corporate entity. All trademarks remain the property of their respective owners. All information presented herein should be considered the result of an un-moderated public forum with no responsibility for its accuracy or usability assumed by the users and sponsors of this site or any corporate entity.
The Forum Parts and Services Unofficial Allis Store Tractor Shows Serial Numbers History
Forum Home Forum Home > Allis Chalmers > Construction and other equipment
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

HD6 info

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
 Rating: Topic Rating: 1 Votes, Average 5.00  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
Coke-in-MN View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Coke-in-MN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: HD6 info
    Posted: 28 Oct 2011 at 7:04pm
  • Allis Chalmers manufactured the HD6 tractor for light and industrial farm use between 1955 and 1965 in their Springfield, Illinois, factory. This diesel-powered farm tractor featured several specifications that made it a valuable tool for any farm, and a durable tool that is still in use by some owners today.

Engine

• The engine of a tractor determines to a large extent how quickly it works as well as what kind of ground it can pull through. The HD6 was equipped with an Allis Chalmers vertical I-head engine with 4 cylinders and a displacement of 344 ci or 5.6 liters. This engine required 15 quarts of coolant, ran on diesel fuel, had a 37-gallon fuel tank capacity and needed a 24-volt starter powered by two 24-V batteries. The compression ratio on the regular engine was 15.0:1, but the turbocharged version had a compression ratio of 16.25:1. Both engines were rated at 1,800 rpm, and had a bore and stroke of 4.4375 and 5.5626 inches respectively.

Dimensions

• The Allis Chalmers tractor was built for heavy-duty work on larger farms, and has a height of 66 inches and a length of 127 inches. This tractor weighs approximately 13,400 pounds.

• Serial Number Location
  • As with many other tractors, the serial number of the HD6 tractor is located first on the housing or instrument panel, and then repeated on the steering clutch in case the housing panel number is rubbed off or scratched.

Power

• The HD6 claims to support draw-bar power of up to 39 horsepower and belt power of up to 54 horsepower. The power of this tractor may be even greater. When TractorData.com tested the tractor, they found the draw bar to display up to 50 horsepower and the belt up to 60.5 horsepower.

Transmission

• Because the HD6 requires a high degree of maneuverability and may require quick changes based on the terrain, it is equipped with a manual transmission. This transmission has 5 forward speeds and 1 reverse. The HD6 uses a crawler chassis.

Read more: Allis Chalmers HD6 Specifications | eHow.com http://www.ehow.com/list_7468395_allis-chalmers-hd6-specifications.html#ixzz1c7m3snVI
Faith isn't a jump in the dark. It is a walk in the light. Faith is not guessing; it is knowing something.
"Challenges are what make life interesting; overcoming them is what makes life meaningful."
Sponsored Links

HD6 Merv View Drop Down
Silver Level Access
Silver Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote HD6 Merv Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Oct 2011 at 11:22pm
Abit more Coke.
It was actually made until 1974. with 25271 units being made.
Initially it consisted of the A model 44 inch gauge. B with 60 inch gauge both with 4 roller track frames, later the E came with 60 inch gauge and 5 rollers and the G model the tracked loader version.
The AC badged Buda engine powered all crawlers until 1960 when AC newly developed direct injection 6000 series engines took over at  s/n 13322.
The next major change happened at s/n 14474 in 1961 when the 6E became a more deluxe model with oil master clutch standard and oil immersed steering clutchs and brakes; both being hyhraulically power controlled.
A powershift model the EP was also added at this time.
About this time the A was dropped so the 4 main models were E EP G and B.
The B was also available with 5 roller frame and oil master clutch and  both E and B models had the option of a 4F 2R speed gearbox, this was the standard G box.
The EP had 2F 2R.
All models continued until 1974 with various minor improvements. With approximatly the last 270 models wearing the Fiat Allis badge after there takover of AC on 1 1 1974
Merv
tits tyres and tracks

they all cost you money
orangeman View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote orangeman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Oct 2011 at 2:16am
Hey Coke and Merv:  Very nice detailed info on the great 6.  Wondering if any of the components of the HD6 lived on into the FA line after the 270 Fat Allis badged machines? 

Wish AC was still alive and building the Crawler/Loader lines!  

Merv and Coke where did you get your source of info.  I would like to include it in my AC library.  Thanks much - Orangeman
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Coke-in-MN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Oct 2011 at 11:20am
Google search , found several sites and just picked some off one . Then that info did not say the rear housing of the HD6 was the same as the HD5 nor does it give interchange of parts between the two machines or the facts the HD11 steering clutch parts fit into the 5 & 6 machines.  Then the site in Utah has a lot of pictures and such on AC machines, the one I listed under pins and bushings for 6
Faith isn't a jump in the dark. It is a walk in the light. Faith is not guessing; it is knowing something.
"Challenges are what make life interesting; overcoming them is what makes life meaningful."
HD6 Merv View Drop Down
Silver Level Access
Silver Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote HD6 Merv Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Oct 2011 at 2:21pm
Hi Orangeman.
When Fiat stepped into the picture it evicted the small AC crawlers and replaced them with there own machines such as the FA 7 8 10 14. Most previous owners with HD6s and 11s either kept rebuilding them or abandonded ship to komatsu. FA sales downunder dropped off to zero and the agent eventually dropped the brand and went to john deere.
Is a exellent book about AC by Norm Swinford thats full of alot of crawler and other info.
Alot of my info came from talking to people who had them and looking at alot of books; and parts and service manuels. Alot of contractors had HD6s in my area when i was younger. Haven,t done much work mechanically inside them, but do know my way around crawlers; have been working on and with them for 35 years; mainly with caterpillars tho; but have always had a soft spot for Allis,s as thought they were a well engineered machine.
Have recently got a HD6EP i intend to keep and tidy up.   
Mactractor on here has also done alot of repair work on his collection of 6s and 11s and knows alot of the mods that happened to them.
tits tyres and tracks

they all cost you money
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Coke-in-MN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Oct 2011 at 3:29pm
HD5 is where I got involved and in this area as AC dealers in heavy seemed to change often the dealer network lacked expierenced technicians and sales.
 When AC/FIAT came in they did away with more dealers dropping the line as the parts supply syatem was consolidated into Chicago area. Minnpar in Mpls did mostly the Industrial line but could get some parts for older AC before Fiat deal.
 The demise of the Industrial left a few strong dealers like Herc-U-Lift still able to get and service many machines but the small independant repair shops and used parts became the source for much OEM and aftermarket parts.
 Now with the Fiat/Allis changing to New Holland the dealer network has changed again in the construction end. It's hard to find much information at a dealer now and like the one in my area they are usless along with the fact they overcharge 20% markup above book standard retail on all their parts. So crooks in business not only kill any brand but leave a bad taste for others who might own the machines before the new dealer took over.
 I have a FD5 also and as far as thet machine it's a good unit and cheaper to run and was a lot less in cost than a D3/ D4 Cat of same size or power. Kind of wish I had bought a FL5 or FL7 machine a few years back to go with the FD5.
Ages Cat View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ages Cat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Oct 2011 at 4:04pm
Our HD-6's, a B and an E are for all intents and purposes toys.  They are great little tractors and I enjoy operating both of them. Having owned both Caterpillar, John Deere and Allis construction equipment, the up side on the Cat was the parts and dealer support , however the down side was the cost to purchase.  John Deere never worked out for us at all. It is  very unfortunate that Allis Chalmers did not survive. They had their problems  as all machines do, however they had a lot of good ideas which the other manufacturers did not implement until years later than AC. 
orangeman View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote orangeman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Oct 2011 at 7:23pm
Hard to believe that Fiat could take what was at least number 3 in Crawler Dozer Shovel sales in the 70''s  and lose so much volume that they could not exist here in the U.S.  
Wasn't Carol Stream Fiats last ditch attempt to distribute and sell Fiat Allis here in the US?

Gosh I wish some venture capitalist could bring back the good ole Allis crawlers, dozers and shovels. 

Calvin Schmidt View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Calvin Schmidt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Oct 2011 at 6:00am
Allis-Chalmers to Fiat Allis to Fiat to New Holland and now the latest is New Holland is withdrawing their larger construction equipment from the North Americian market.
Nothing is impossible if it is properly financed
orangeman View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote orangeman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Oct 2011 at 10:02am
Heres a little tidbit about Berco - part of German Thyssen Krupps Corporation.... looks like they have an operation in India. 

JonnyWalton View Drop Down
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JonnyWalton Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Jan 2012 at 6:32pm

Edited by JonnyWalton - 22 Apr 2018 at 3:22pm
doctorcorey View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote doctorcorey Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Jan 2012 at 9:54am
good looking machine. Does it have a working transmission pressure gauge? I believe the screen you're looking for is in front of the trans, below the cover plate for the governor housing, that is if you have a governor. That screen filters fluid for the steering clutchs and the trans pump, mounted on torque convertor housing.
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Coke-in-MN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Jan 2012 at 10:41am
MINNPAR in Mpls MN may have some things for the machine . There are several bone-yards that also have parts or can locate for you . Thill Track and Tractor in Eau Clare WI is one source for parts. 

Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JonnyWalton Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Jan 2012 at 1:49am

Edited by JonnyWalton - 22 Apr 2018 at 3:32pm
dadsdozerhd5b View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dadsdozerhd5b Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Jan 2012 at 4:42am
i have a winch from a hd5 i am selling, it is still on the machine. the controls are frozen so i have not worked it but it seems you have a little work to do before you need the winch. i am in se pa. let me know if you are interested. thanks and good luck
HD5B, HD5G, (2) FARMALL A's, CUB. DO IT RIGHT THE FIRST TIME, IGNORE THE LAUGHTER. FLANNEL IS ALWAYS IN STYLE.
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JonnyWalton Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Jan 2012 at 4:59am

Edited by JonnyWalton - 22 Apr 2018 at 3:34pm
doctorcorey View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote doctorcorey Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Jan 2012 at 9:41am
Originally posted by JonnyWalton JonnyWalton wrote:

How do I test the trans pressure ? The converter is located on the back of the motor and where is the screen? The fluid was good when it was parked 2 years ago and now it looks too full. It's a closed system nothing can get in their? Could it be some of the clutches materiel ? Dose any one know where you can get clutches and the converter rebuilt? Also the track grease seal adjuster will not hold pressure need to locate one, any idea!
   Call Minnpar and order a transmission manual for your machine. They're cheap and self-explanitory. Could be your pump just won't prime up after sitting for a while.
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JonnyWalton Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Jan 2012 at 8:30pm

Edited by JonnyWalton - 22 Apr 2018 at 3:32pm
HD6 Merv View Drop Down
Silver Level Access
Silver Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote HD6 Merv Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Jan 2012 at 8:33pm
Hi Jonny
If its overfull id say its got water in it. Drop the oil out of it. About 70 litres.
Pull the suction screen for the transmission and steering pumps. Located at LH front of trans; below LH brake pedal. Read back in doctorcoreys posts about his HD7G, hes just been down this road.
Clean or replace the screen; change oil if  need be and flush if necessary.
That is a 1973 machine, the last of the EPs and will have no ground speed governor or push pump, and will have the later transmission pump.
Rippers are a allis TR6, early ones have 2 rams later ones have one.
Winch you want is a Carco E30PS. But these are as rare as rocking horse poo; welldown here anyway.
Cheers Merv
tits tyres and tracks

they all cost you money
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JonnyWalton Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Jan 2012 at 8:45pm

HD6 Merv View Drop Down
Silver Level Access
Silver Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote HD6 Merv Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Jan 2012 at 8:57pm
You,ll have to go back a few pages, but time is cheap, have a good read and check all the simple things first before you buy a new pump.
Check the suction screen and hose. Hose may have perished and is sucking air etc.
My 6EP was sitting dead in a paddock too with no drive. Turned out it was full of water, and water had turned oil to cream; pump couldn,t suck it up.
Dropped all oil, flushed it, cleaned screens, filled new oil, changed filters; and away it went, drove it down hill onto truck and home.
Mine is a very early one but Mactractor on here has a late one like yours 88Y24937 and his has alot of improvements and used to go quite well; so yours is the last of them too.
tits tyres and tracks

they all cost you money
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JonnyWalton Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Jan 2012 at 8:59pm
Ok

HD6 Merv View Drop Down
Silver Level Access
Silver Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote HD6 Merv Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Jan 2012 at 9:09pm
Takes about 70 litres. ATF or a 10W transmission oil can be used.
Is also a suction screen for front section of pump, located on RH side of transmission.
This is just a scavenge pump to return trans oil to rear housing.
tits tyres and tracks

they all cost you money
Springer82 View Drop Down
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Springer82 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Jul 2019 at 2:39am
do you know of the Hd5b fluid specs as well as u know of the hd6.
I’m restoring my Dads old Hd5b crawler dozer and he left it to me in his will, any information would be greatly appreciate.
Kind regards ,

(Eb Springer)
Springer82 View Drop Down
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Springer82 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Jul 2019 at 2:43am
If I don’t reply, it is because I don’t have hardly any reception where I live(Zwolle, Louisiana)but I can receive email or text at my cell 3185813096 thanks for any information ebulonspringer82@yahoo.com
gemdozer View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gemdozer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Jul 2019 at 6:37am
The hd6 and HD5 use the same oil in transmission and final drive 80/90 gear oil
Ages Cat View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ages Cat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Jul 2019 at 3:08pm
Getting back to the subject of HD-6's, there was a tractor sold at auction last week on Purple Wave. The serial number was HD6ST-20xxxx. Is anyone familiar with this model designator? It was a turbo charged HD6B.
Curt Anderson
HD3, HD5B, HD6E, HD6AG,HD6B dozer, I-400, 615, 616,(2) 620, 720, ACP25 lift truck, 1956 D Special Grader, AC 540 loader, AC 655 crawler loader, AC #84 plow, Simplicity lawn tractors.
Mactractor View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mactractor Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Jul 2019 at 2:21am
The letters ST dont sound right, but the turbo the AG had was optional on  E, and EP. Never saw any stock ones down these parts, but some turbo and manifold assemblies were plundered from 7G's to go on 6's.

Edited by Mactractor - 18 Jul 2019 at 1:59pm
Ages Cat View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ages Cat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Jul 2019 at 3:11pm
It was stamped on the data plate of the tractor. It is  pictured on the Purple Wave Allis Chalmers sold items. I assumed it was an arrangement similar to Caterpillar which the serial number indicated SP at the end meaning special equipment.
Curt Anderson
HD3, HD5B, HD6E, HD6AG,HD6B dozer, I-400, 615, 616,(2) 620, 720, ACP25 lift truck, 1956 D Special Grader, AC 540 loader, AC 655 crawler loader, AC #84 plow, Simplicity lawn tractors.
200Tom1 View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 200Tom1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Jul 2019 at 10:16am
Later hd6 engines had a larger crank shaft and were heavierin the bottom end. I do not know the serial # break when they were updated.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic