This site is not affiliated with AGCO Inc., Duluth GA., Allis-Chalmers Co., Milwaukee, WI., or any surviving or related corporate entity. All trademarks remain the property of their respective owners. All information presented herein should be considered the result of an un-moderated public forum with no responsibility for its accuracy or usability assumed by the users and sponsors of this site or any corporate entity.
The Forum Parts and Services Unofficial Allis Store Tractor Shows Serial Numbers History
Forum Home Forum Home > Allis Chalmers > Construction and other equipment
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

HD6 Dozer steering clutch problems help

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JAT-6021 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: HD6 Dozer steering clutch problems help
    Posted: 07 Mar 2012 at 1:02pm
I am trying to remove a dry steering clutch on a HD6 dozer and am having some trouble and looking for suggestions for removal. I have the clutch completely unbolted and ready to come out but it will not retract enough due to rust is my guess (very old) to come up through the opening. The unit gets hung up on the flanges any ideas on how to get it out.
I am also looking for a location where I could purchase a good clutch?
Sponsored Links

gemdozer View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gemdozer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Mar 2012 at 3:59pm
Make sure then he is loosen each side from the drum before pulling out and sometime we need to play with the stering cluch lever and push on the flange on bevelgear side
Coke-in-MN View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Coke-in-MN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Mar 2012 at 4:59pm
You can try wedging the flanges over enough to gain clearance , driving a wedge between drum and clutch to get some clearance to get by . 
 The clutch is rebuild-able either using present fiber plates and just cleaning it up , or in case they are deteriorated to far with replacements . These can be the fiber or the later HD11 plates which are ceramic.
 I do have about 30 used fiber discs but not many of the steel plates.  
Faith isn't a jump in the dark. It is a walk in the light. Faith is not guessing; it is knowing something.
"Challenges are what make life interesting; overcoming them is what makes life meaningful."
ianoz View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ianoz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Mar 2012 at 4:57pm
 General gear have clutch plates for lot of differebt machines .
Jay Tyrrell View Drop Down
Silver Level
Silver Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jay Tyrrell Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Mar 2012 at 5:40pm
JAT,
On my HD6G, my clutches were nasty stuck!
After unbolting them I used RailRoad bar and kept working the clutch pack into the brake drum to get some room between the flanges. I used a tractor to keep moving the dozer a 6" at a time. Prying the clutch pack every few inched of rotation, probably went around the clutch/brake drum six times. Finally getting some space so the Brake drum could spin freely between the flanges. Then setting up a mini gantry crane, with a 2 ton hydraulic jack on one side, began to take the drum out. I was pulling on the brake band until it broke. The drum held in place until I could get a log chain around it. The drum did hang up, it was ugly! Finally it did slide past the flanges and come out.
The good news is once taken apart and cleaned up it goes back together really nice. I did have to replace one throw out bearing and the deal that releases the clutch. I reused all the disk after cleaning and it all works great.
Hope this helps

Good Luck
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Coke-in-MN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Mar 2012 at 8:53pm
Many people modified the grease system for that bearing by running a flexible line through the brake cover so a grease zerk could be installed to grease clutch throw bearing . On the HD 5 they used a wick and flex line and took oil from ring gear case to flow to bearing . 
Faith isn't a jump in the dark. It is a walk in the light. Faith is not guessing; it is knowing something.
"Challenges are what make life interesting; overcoming them is what makes life meaningful."
Silver Level
Silver Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jay Tyrrell Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Mar 2012 at 7:12am
I just greased up my throw out bearings real good before I put them back in. My G6 had the wick system as well but the lines we in bad shape. Should last for a while.
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Coke-in-MN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Mar 2012 at 8:47am
Easy to put pipe plug in the case where wick is and run the line up to area outside case . Makes giving the bearing a shot of grease easy.
woodbutch View Drop Down
Silver Level
Silver Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote woodbutch Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Mar 2012 at 9:51pm
While you'er words help, does any one have pictures of this process? Not  trying to jack thread, but need to do same job this spring before the monsoon season.
Silver Level
Silver Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jay Tyrrell Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Mar 2012 at 7:42pm
I found some pictures from a manual (HD6G steering clutch removal) online. That's how I got the little gantry crane and hydraulic jack idea. It worked well. Those clutches were really stuck. It took alot of wedging and prying to finally get any space between the brake drum and the flanges. Be patient and just keep working it.

Good Luck.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic