This site is not affiliated with AGCO Inc., Duluth GA., Allis-Chalmers Co., Milwaukee, WI., or any surviving or related corporate entity. All trademarks remain the property of their respective owners. All information presented herein should be considered the result of an un-moderated public forum with no responsibility for its accuracy or usability assumed by the users and sponsors of this site or any corporate entity.
The Forum Parts and Services Unofficial Allis Store Tractor Shows Serial Numbers History
Forum Home Forum Home > Allis Chalmers > Construction and other equipment
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Hd5b steering

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tom b 45 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Hd5b steering
    Posted: 30 Jan 2018 at 7:21pm
I need to flush the steering clutch on my hd5 but I am not sure which hole to put the solvent in and which plug is the drain fo the clutches. I have a operating manual but it's not clear any help would be appreciated.
Sponsored Links

truckerfarmer View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote truckerfarmer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Jan 2018 at 9:26pm

This is from my manual. The drain plugs are on the bottom of the casting directly beneath the steering clutches. They are either 5/8" or 3/4" pipe thread.
The brake adjusting nut covers are under the seat.
Looking at the past to see the future.
'53 WD, '53 WD45, WD snap coupler field cultivator, #53 plow,'53 HD5B dozer

Duct tape.... Can't fix stupidity. But will muffle the sound of it!
truckerfarmer View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote truckerfarmer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Jan 2018 at 9:27pm
Ok??? Don't know why my pic is turned.
Looking at the past to see the future.
'53 WD, '53 WD45, WD snap coupler field cultivator, #53 plow,'53 HD5B dozer

Duct tape.... Can't fix stupidity. But will muffle the sound of it!
wayne IA View Drop Down
Silver Level
Silver Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wayne IA Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Jan 2018 at 12:37am
On the bottom of the clutch housing (underneath the machine) is where the plugs are to be installed for filling the housings with solvent.  On my HD5 they use the same plugs as what you remove on the drawbar mounts for checking the final drive oil level.  It is simplest to remove the metal cover over the steering clutch to fill.  The link is to a picture of the clutch cover under the seat/fuel tank.
Tom b 45 View Drop Down
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tom b 45 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Jan 2018 at 7:33am
Thanks I think I got it now if it works you all are the best my thanks for the help.
Tp1 View Drop Down
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tp1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Jan 2018 at 7:45am
Hey guys,
Just joined the forum while reminiscing and your post took me down memory lane. My uncle was an All is Chalmers fanatic. I remember as a kid he bought two machine from out west someplace. Bought one and they threw in the second..... One I remember operating had a block on top of the blade and two stacks . The one thrown in was an HD 21, that I remember as it was used more. Had two HD 5's one dozed one excavator. Two either 22A's or 922 A's ? A bunch of dump trucks B series Mack's ( Wished I had them ) Thanks for the memories.
jerbob View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jerbob Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Jan 2018 at 7:49am
Good luck Tom and be sure to send pics for the novices like me can learn and let us know how it works out.
Question: What kind of solvent are you going to use? The book on my 16DC says to use solvent but that is a broad term.

Good luck.
Coke-in-MN View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Coke-in-MN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Jan 2018 at 9:03am
Filling the housing through the adjuster cover on each steering clutch housing after installiong the 3/4" pipe plug in lower case drain - has worked in the past - just do not put a heavy load on machine until after the clutch discs have had a chance to dry . 
 Also in might be best to remove the full brake housing cover as the throw out bearings need to be lubricated - the felt wick oil system from the ring and pinion case isn't the best at oiling that bearing and the update to grease should be done by adding a hose and zerk to grease from outside of case

Faith isn't a jump in the dark. It is a walk in the light. Faith is not guessing; it is knowing something.
"Challenges are what make life interesting; overcoming them is what makes life meaningful."
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic