This site is not affiliated with AGCO Inc., Duluth GA., Allis-Chalmers Co., Milwaukee, WI., or any surviving or related corporate entity. All trademarks remain the property of their respective owners. All information presented herein should be considered the result of an un-moderated public forum with no responsibility for its accuracy or usability assumed by the users and sponsors of this site or any corporate entity.
The Forum Parts and Services Unofficial Allis Store Tractor Shows Serial Numbers History
Forum Home Forum Home > Allis Chalmers > Construction and other equipment
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

HD5B Final Drive Seals etc..

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Silver Level
Silver Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote heron Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: HD5B Final Drive Seals etc..
    Posted: 03 Oct 2016 at 1:18pm
Looking at having this done by a local shop. They told me to free up the track adjustors and replace the final drive seals would be about 1 day per side($1200 labor at $75/hr) They will definitely need some heat but other than that the man that looked at it thought it should be pretty straight forward. I realize without out being here in person it's impossible to know for certain but as 55 machines go this one looks real good and we know the history since it was purchased..in other words there is nothing rigged. Are they way off on this estimate or should I plan on more than 8 hrs/side?

They recommended I pre-order anything that may need to be replaced when in there. 
Sprockets are tight and there are no noises. Only thing I'm aware of is the final drives will not hold oil very long.
If I'm spending the money to have them tear into this machine what would you recommend replacing while they have it apart...all bearings etc...? 
The final drive kit on Minn parr I found is 073762. Is this the correct part or have there been any updated parts made? TY!
Sponsored Links

gemdozer View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gemdozer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Oct 2016 at 2:51pm
The seal kit 073762 is for rear sprosket and outside sprocket seal kit is 073763
dadsdozerhd5b View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dadsdozerhd5b Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Oct 2016 at 7:45pm
food for thought, the track needs to be split, the track frame removed and out of the way, I usually just roll it down the tracks laying there. then the outer bearing is removed and pulled off then the track nut is loosened (1500 ft lbs) then the sprocket is pulled off, seal changed and then reverse order. a lot can go wrong but seems like 12 hrs each is a fair estimate. remember it is only an estimate. the pivot pins will most likely be worn. when I had mine off I put shim stock in to make the space. not exactly the way I wanted to do it but the budget stops somewhere. they should be as tight a possible because that keeps the track frames parallel. I also drilled the outer bearing flange to accept a grease fitting as my bearing went bad due to lack of lube. this way I use 00 grease and make sure I don't lose any more bearings. they are hard to find and expensive. the inner and outer seals are about 175.00 for both. be sure to check the front idler adjustment on the slides. add shims if needed. check all rollers and lube while they are easy to get to. flip the frame over to access. good luck
HD5B, HD5G, (2) FARMALL A's, CUB. DO IT RIGHT THE FIRST TIME, IGNORE THE LAUGHTER. FLANNEL IS ALWAYS IN STYLE.
Dozer View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dozer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Oct 2016 at 7:11am
Like Dadsdozerhd5b said it is a big job and it is an estimate. My concern is the shops reputation for good work.
heron View Drop Down
Silver Level
Silver Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote heron Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Oct 2016 at 10:43am
The mechanic said he could break it down in about 8 hrs on each side if it were at his shop...?
Where can I get the inner and outer for $175? 
What would be the basics I'd need to do it myself in my backyard(undercover) or is that not a wise move as I don't have torches or a lot of big tools?  I thought about purchasing a cheap torch setup from Harbor Freight but what else would I need? I know a sludge and a pin pusher. I do have a 42hp tractor with a hoe/forks to move things around if needed. 
I'd rather do it myself as I know it would take longer but it would be right where I know this mechanic has worked on dozers for 40 years but he has never worked on an AC(primarily CAT).  
I'd rather use the 2k I'd pay the mechanic towards some correct tools to do the job. 
Coke-in-MN View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Coke-in-MN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Oct 2016 at 10:55am
I have replaced the rear sprockets and seals without removing the truck frame from a 5G by cutting and welding the rear of the truck frame - believe I posted how on here - 
 On a old machine you will never recover that investment to have someone else do the work - figuring you could buy a newer machine with the funds . for just having a machine for sentimental value - lot of cash to put out . What plans you have for machine after it's fixed is another part of equation ?
Faith isn't a jump in the dark. It is a walk in the light. Faith is not guessing; it is knowing something.
"Challenges are what make life interesting; overcoming them is what makes life meaningful."
heron View Drop Down
Silver Level
Silver Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote heron Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Oct 2016 at 12:17pm
Good point Coke and one I have struggled with. Yes, it is sentimental but I also would like to maybe use it for small jobs down the road for my two boys. I'm hoping I can get them into doing some small jobs as I've already got a small tractor/hoe combination, trailer, truck to pull everything. My wife thinks I'm dreaming but where I am there is no real skilled small outfits. I told my boys they could work together during school, summers etc...building a small business with little to no overhead. No high dollar production work but small excavation/landscaping jobs. I don't ever see the 5 working hard but I'd like it complete enough to do some basics like I did on my project with it. And, as my boys get older they can maintain things. 
I would rather do the fix myself along with my boys as kids today don't know how to turn a wrench and anything to keep them off the electronics will benefit them. 
Coke-in-MN View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Coke-in-MN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Oct 2016 at 1:16pm
Bought my HD5G in 1972 - did small jobs and expanded UNTIL 2003 when enough cost was there to overwhelm budget - cost more to work than I made . 
 with insurance at 30% of income and not much work as economy started showing signs of pullback as far as individuals having disposable income - 
 Still have my HD5G - 1955 year - along with other equipment - both my boys worked with me but neither in it now - as I am not either -   
Faith isn't a jump in the dark. It is a walk in the light. Faith is not guessing; it is knowing something.
"Challenges are what make life interesting; overcoming them is what makes life meaningful."
heron View Drop Down
Silver Level
Silver Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote heron Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Oct 2016 at 2:00pm
Yes, I get the overhead game as I am in business but not earthmoving as my grandfather and dad were. Funny how things work out. I made more money at the end of the month as a union operator when I was 20 than I do now and that is after 9 years of college. The insurance, taxes and all the other things make it tough. 
In my area the people who do most of the work like this cannot even speak English. So, I'm thinking if we keep it really small(word of mouth) and just get by with the basics it would be good for the kids to learn how to really work and sweat. Many of the people doing it not only have all the insurance, payroll taxes etc... but most of them have all new shiny equipment so they have to charge more.  Who knows, dare to dream. 

One thing I never did was work much with torches. Is this something I could pickup pretty quickly and do myself if I decide to pull the tracks? I don't mind beating out the master pin as it looks pretty clean, no welds. 
Not sure what other tools I'd need. I've got 3/4" sockets, breaker bars, big pinch bars, come along, porta power, jacks and my tractor to pull out tracks if I set the dozer up on cribbing. 
Dozer View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dozer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Oct 2016 at 7:28pm
Start by trying to free up the track adjusters. Post any problems and get answers on the forum.
dadsdozerhd5b View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dadsdozerhd5b Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Oct 2016 at 6:47pm
I was a little off on the price for the seals. General gear has them. part #073763, the small outer is 94.00 and the 073762 large inner is 124.00, total 218.00 for both. it was the turning clutch bearing I was thinking of. damn old timers memory. sorry for the confusion. once on general gear click on steering clutch.com link and that is where to find them. they are the same company.
HD5B, HD5G, (2) FARMALL A's, CUB. DO IT RIGHT THE FIRST TIME, IGNORE THE LAUGHTER. FLANNEL IS ALWAYS IN STYLE.
heron View Drop Down
Silver Level
Silver Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote heron Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Oct 2016 at 1:13pm
Yes, that is where I found them. Thought maybe I was missing something. 
Still trying to figure out how to tackle the situation. 
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic