This site is not affiliated with AGCO Inc., Duluth GA., Allis-Chalmers Co., Milwaukee, WI., or any surviving or related corporate entity. All trademarks remain the property of their respective owners. All information presented herein should be considered the result of an un-moderated public forum with no responsibility for its accuracy or usability assumed by the users and sponsors of this site or any corporate entity.
The Forum Parts and Services Unofficial Allis Store Tractor Shows Serial Numbers History
Forum Home Forum Home > Allis Chalmers > Construction and other equipment
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

HD5 Steering Clutch Discs

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rcwitzel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: HD5 Steering Clutch Discs
    Posted: 18 Jan 2021 at 5:05pm
I am working with a friend to fix his HD5 steering clutches.  His fiber discs are shot.  Given the machine will get occasional use, we plan to leverage used discs that came out of HD11s.  (HD11 discs are the same inside and outside diameter as the HD5.)  We have one HD11 "dry" clutch and one "wet" clutch.  The General Gear site says the replacement for the fibers are bimetallic.  My HD11 parts book says the dry and wet outer discs are bimetallic.  My questions...

1) The wet clutch discs have oil grooves.  See the first picture below.  Can these discs be used in an HD5 clutch (dry) that will get light use?

2) The dry HD11 clutch has two tapered outer discs.  See the second picture from an HD16 service manual.  (I do not have an HD11 manual.)  It talks about their purpose.  Should we put one in each HD5 clutch...or avoid them?

Sponsored Links

gemdozer View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gemdozer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Jan 2021 at 6:07pm
Yes you can used wet discs in hd5 stering cluch but nedd 12 discs and 12 plates
rcwitzel View Drop Down
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rcwitzel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Jan 2021 at 1:29pm
Perfect.  Thanks.
Coke-in-MN View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Coke-in-MN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Jan 2021 at 2:13pm
been running the bi-metal clutch discs since 1978 in my HD5G 

Faith isn't a jump in the dark. It is a walk in the light. Faith is not guessing; it is knowing something.
"Challenges are what make life interesting; overcoming them is what makes life meaningful."
Ages Cat View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ages Cat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Jan 2021 at 7:56pm
Use the bi-metallics. The clutches will never stick. We have done two tractors. They steer great. Using the metallics will require 12 per side and an additional spacer disc. Make sure the stack-up measurement is what is called out in the book.
Curt Anderson
HD3, HD5B, HD6E, HD6AG,HD6B dozer, I-400, 615, 616,(2) 620, 720, ACP25 lift truck, 1956 D Special Grader, AC 540 loader, AC 655 crawler loader, AC #84 plow, Simplicity lawn tractors.
JustinStrife View Drop Down
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JustinStrife Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Feb 2021 at 12:50am
Rather than create a whole new thread(which I am not sure I can as a new member)...

How difficult is it to replace Steering Clutches or rebuild them in an HD5 or HD6? My dad screwed up one of them on an HD-6 dozer. I'm determined to get it running again after it's been sitting the last few years. 
gemdozer View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gemdozer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Feb 2021 at 7:24am
For replace the stering cluch you need to removed the fuel tank and the cover ,linkage and the bolt each side from the stering cluch and live the brake band for pulling out the stering cluch assambly.
Ages Cat View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ages Cat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Feb 2021 at 8:11am
I assemble the discs with anti seize compound on the teeth. If it has not had the grease fitting installed on the throw out bearings, then add grease gun hoses to the bearing housings.
Curt Anderson
HD3, HD5B, HD6E, HD6AG,HD6B dozer, I-400, 615, 616,(2) 620, 720, ACP25 lift truck, 1956 D Special Grader, AC 540 loader, AC 655 crawler loader, AC #84 plow, Simplicity lawn tractors.
rcwitzel View Drop Down
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rcwitzel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Feb 2021 at 12:30pm
This is a great source for parts, service manual and video on the clutch rebuild process.

JustinStrife View Drop Down
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JustinStrife Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Feb 2021 at 6:32pm
That link shows as no good on my phone. I will check again when I am home from work. Trying to save this machine from getting scrapped.
rcwitzel View Drop Down
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rcwitzel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Feb 2021 at 3:49am
Try this one.  http://www.tpaktopc.net/achd6strcltch.htm

You may need to cut/paste it into your browser.
Ray54 View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ray54 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Feb 2021 at 12:43pm
Ask Gemdozer may still have parts. As well as General Gear in Idaho has after market steering clutch parts for just about all makes and models.
dadsdozerhd5b View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dadsdozerhd5b Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Feb 2021 at 8:15am
changing the clutches is not a huge job but if they have not been out in awhile they can have their sticking points. Changed my loader steering clutch in about 6 hrs but they had been out within a year. Hardest part for me was getting the brake band pins out. They tend to stick. Need a 5/16” piece of all thread to pull them out through the side plug holes. Use a flat straight ratcheting wrench on the clutch bolts. Be sure to free up the brake adjusting lower bolt while the clutch is out. Be prepared for seals while you are there.  They are not too bad to change but need a special puller to get the hubs off. Made one from flat plate. Tedious sometimes but so is anything with older machines. Good luck!
HD5B, HD5G, (2) FARMALL A's, CUB. DO IT RIGHT THE FIRST TIME, IGNORE THE LAUGHTER. FLANNEL IS ALWAYS IN STYLE.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic