This site is not affiliated with AGCO Inc., Duluth GA., Allis-Chalmers Co., Milwaukee, WI., or any surviving or related corporate entity. All trademarks remain the property of their respective owners. All information presented herein should be considered the result of an un-moderated public forum with no responsibility for its accuracy or usability assumed by the users and sponsors of this site or any corporate entity.
The Forum Parts and Services Unofficial Allis Store Tractor Shows Serial Numbers History
Forum Home Forum Home > Allis Chalmers > Construction and other equipment
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Hd5 idler wheel alignment.

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Noah Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Hd5 idler wheel alignment.
    Posted: 10 Jul 2024 at 9:14am
Not sure why I didn't notice sooner but I think I figured out why the RH track link is wearing the inside so bad. I was walking up to dozer about 20 ft away and I noticed the idler wheel is leaning out away from the dozer.. I'm still new to owning equipment like this so I'm not 100% sure what the cause is. I'm guessing the there's a way to shim the wear bar the idler slides on? An advice is appreciated. I have put about 15hrs on the machine and got a whole lot done on my property. I just love this machine and don't see a reason to get a different one if I can keep it going.
Sponsored Links

CAL(KS) View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CAL(KS) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Jul 2024 at 9:43am
check for the yoke that pushes against the wheel shaft assembly to be bent.  possible it has been shimmed and running untrue.  also possible the bearing is out on inside of idler shaft.   track frame could also be bent  from turning with loaded bucket because of using dozer grousers on instead of loader grousers.  judging by the reinforcement welded to outside of track frame... guessing the latter is the case.

Edited by CAL(KS) - 10 Jul 2024 at 9:44am
Me -C,U,UC,WC,WD45,190XT,TL-12,145T,HD6G,HD16,HD20

Dad- WD, D17D, D19D, RT100A, 7020, 7080,7580, 2-8550's, 2-S77, HD15
Noah View Drop Down
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Noah Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Jul 2024 at 9:18pm
Cal, you were correct, after closer Inspection, the right side truck frame is indeed bent. Guess I'll run it till it breaks. I found another machine 7hrs away in New Mexico with good undercarriage and clutches for 2500$ maybe I'll make a run down there at some point and have a parts machine if I feel brave enough to try and swap truck frames.. Thanks again for the help.
Les Kerf View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Les Kerf Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Jul 2024 at 6:44pm
Originally posted by Noah Noah wrote:

Cal, you were correct, after closer Inspection, the right side truck frame is indeed bent...

If you are handy with a torch you may be able to straighten that by heating and shrinking the truck frame. I have done this on big I-beams.
Coke-in-MN View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Coke-in-MN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Jul 2024 at 11:07pm
Seems a lot of machines ended up with bent front on truck frame , loaded bucket , no counterweight , doing a hard turn with all the weight on front idler - and things bend .
 Believe you will find the 2 ears from frame that support front idler are what is bent . 
Faith isn't a jump in the dark. It is a walk in the light. Faith is not guessing; it is knowing something.
"Challenges are what make life interesting; overcoming them is what makes life meaningful."
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic