This site is not affiliated with AGCO Inc., Duluth GA., Allis-Chalmers Co., Milwaukee, WI., or any surviving or related corporate entity. All trademarks remain the property of their respective owners. All information presented herein should be considered the result of an un-moderated public forum with no responsibility for its accuracy or usability assumed by the users and sponsors of this site or any corporate entity.
The Forum Parts and Services Unofficial Allis Store Tractor Shows Serial Numbers History
Forum Home Forum Home > Allis Chalmers > Construction and other equipment
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

HD5 dozer/loader options

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jack Robertson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: HD5 dozer/loader options
    Posted: 27 Nov 2016 at 8:34pm
Can a HD5 tractor be readily converted from a bulldozer to a loader and visa versa?
Sponsored Links

Coke-in-MN View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Coke-in-MN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Nov 2016 at 10:09pm
Quick answer - NO 
The HD5B was the dozer option and had a cross spring oscillating truck frame 
The HD5G used a rigid frame and cross link between track which the loader frame mounted to 
 Does this mean you can't doze with a 5G - well I pushed a lot of dirt - dug lot of basements and leveled many yards and backfilled many septic systems with a 5G
 Found it actually moved more dirt faster than my 5B dozer with the 9ft blade in many cases . 
 If you could mount blade to bucket frame , yes it would work - not as good but could use it as such.
 With a bucket and dozing you just need to position bucket in right position, set angle of tilt of bucket, and control the depth of bucket . All this while controlling ground speed and load on tractor so a to keep moving to desired location .  
 Depending on material i could push 2 to 4 yards of material with bucket if I set it so trenck sides did not spill material but contained material being moved . 
Faith isn't a jump in the dark. It is a walk in the light. Faith is not guessing; it is knowing something.
"Challenges are what make life interesting; overcoming them is what makes life meaningful."
Dozer View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dozer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Nov 2016 at 7:44am
In my experience bulldozing with HD5G & HD6G the dirt has severe leverage on the dump cylinders. The loader hydraulic system has pressure relief valves. None the less I have bent the cylinder rods. You have to back grade using a loader or the bucket trips and you ruin the grade. I have thought of acquiring an extra bucket for my loader to be modified like a bulldozer blade. This would reduce the leverage on the dump cylinders. If you have only one machine have a loader. (My opinion)
Ray54 View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ray54 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Nov 2016 at 4:10pm
There use to be several TD9 IH around my neighborhood that had a tool bar dozer and loader attachments both. The dozer was very much like any other,the loader was very limited compared to a regular loader. The lift height was very limited but worked to load flat bed dump farm trucks with short side boards. I think they where built by Ateco but don't really know. Also think they are both long gone.

Would agree with Dozer that a loader would much more dual purpose than a blade.
orangeman View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote orangeman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Nov 2016 at 5:17pm
This is a very good subject  and have seen a lot of good operators use the bucket to doze with albeit in the float position.   

While not the size of the HD5 G - Allis did build a factory blade for the AC H3 and HD3 crawler loaders.

The blade mounts up the same way the bucket does. 

HTH's

Orangeman
DiyDave View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DiyDave Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Nov 2016 at 5:54pm
4n1 bucket dozes real good...
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Coke-in-MN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Nov 2016 at 8:47pm
You don't push with the bucket turned down at much of a angle , the depth of the bucket is more or less set by loader frame at 6" depth - When dozing with a HD5G you angle bucket slightly to start dig , then flatten out as you get required depth - then by slight touch on bucket control you set cut amount then using lift cylinders you adjust to keep forward progress and material moving .
 Working with one side against higher ground keeps material from spilling out . 
Yes a 4 in 1 is set to grapple, load and kind of doze but in some cases the tool that does everything doesn't do them all well. 
 Remember the HD5G was far advanced over other loaders when it was brought onto the market - machines by other companies lacked the agility, speed, lift capacity and versatility.  
Faith isn't a jump in the dark. It is a walk in the light. Faith is not guessing; it is knowing something.
"Challenges are what make life interesting; overcoming them is what makes life meaningful."
Dozer View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dozer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Nov 2016 at 7:22am
AC did offer blade options for the front and back of the HD5 and HD6
My HD6G parts book shows "TractoDozer" available in 76" and 96" widths. There is also rock buckets, forklift, angle dozers and drag buckets.
I wonder if there are any of these accessories in a museum somewhere?
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Coke-in-MN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Nov 2016 at 8:23am
Yep the parts book has a bunch of options from all weather cab and V plow to a excavator bucket that went onto loader frame which dug in reverse. 
 a versatile machine with the operator being the creative side but also the weak link of machine .   
Sugarmaker View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sugarmaker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Dec 2016 at 6:47pm
Originally posted by Ray54 Ray54 wrote:

There use to be several TD9 IH around my neighborhood that had a tool bar dozer and loader attachments both. The dozer was very much like any other,the loader was very limited compared to a regular loader. The lift height was very limited but worked to load flat bed dump farm trucks with short side boards. I think they where built by Ateco but don't really know. Also think they are both long gone.

Would agree with Dozer that a loader would much more dual purpose than a blade.

I have a TD6 with ATECO loader (1952). My uncle loaded stone, dirt, lime and gravel into his dump trucks for years with that unit. Plus dug basements with same machine.
Sorry to hijack the thread.
Regards,
 Chris
D17 1958 (NFE), WD45 1954 (NFE), WD 1952 (NFE), WD 1950 (WFE), Allis F-40 forklift, Allis CA, Allis D14, Ford Jubilee, Many IH Cub Cadets, 32 Ford Dump, 65 Comet.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic