This site is not affiliated with AGCO Inc., Duluth GA., Allis-Chalmers Co., Milwaukee, WI., or any surviving or related corporate entity. All trademarks remain the property of their respective owners. All information presented herein should be considered the result of an un-moderated public forum with no responsibility for its accuracy or usability assumed by the users and sponsors of this site or any corporate entity.
The Forum Parts and Services Unofficial Allis Store Tractor Shows Serial Numbers History
Forum Home Forum Home > Allis Chalmers > Construction and other equipment
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

HD16 engine oil

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jerbob Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: HD16 engine oil
    Posted: 26 Jan 2018 at 3:12pm
Howdy.

Changing engine oil on my 1961 HD16DC and the book calls for straight SAE 30W for the 16000 engines

Does this still hold true or with modern oils are your professionals using domething else.
Thank you everyone.
Sponsored Links

CAL(KS) View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CAL(KS) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Jan 2018 at 3:27pm
I use 15w-40 in mine just like all the tractors on the farm.  They said 30w cause its all they had back then. New oils far superior.

Edited by CAL(KS) - 26 Jan 2018 at 3:28pm
Me -C,U,UC,WC,WD45,190XT,TL-12,145T,HD6G,HD16,HD20

Dad- WD, D17D, D19D, RT100A, 7020, 7080,7580, 2-8550's, 2-S77, HD15
jerbob View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jerbob Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Jan 2018 at 3:39pm
Great. That's why I asked and ya didn't disappoint. Have s great weekend. It's almost 50 here in Michigan and sunny. Feels great.
CAL(KS) View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CAL(KS) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Jan 2018 at 4:02pm
Nice.  Is almost 60 here, and I got a dirt job but will be taking the kids to a wrestling tournament.  Im sure next week when im off it will be back to 20.

Ian Beale View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ian Beale Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Jan 2018 at 5:01pm
Originally posted by CAL(KS) CAL(KS) wrote:

Nice.  Is almost 60 here, and I got a dirt job but will be taking the kids to a wrestling tournament.  Im sure next week when im off it will be back to 20.

For relativity it is going to be about 40 in this part of Oz today - degrees C.  And it has not a bloody thing to do with global warming.
jerbob View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jerbob Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Jan 2018 at 4:40am
I hear ya on the global warming thing. If I can have a 40 degree Michigan winter, I can handle that.
DMiller View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DMiller Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Jan 2018 at 8:05am
Hi Ian, that would be around 104 here and many US states get that in summer. Only issue here is comes with HIGH Humidity so becomes oppressive!

I am still using 30wt in my 7G, seems to like it, not experiencing any starting issues or subsequent leaks in cold from it. Just a common diesel weight.
jerbob View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jerbob Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Jan 2018 at 8:34am
Thanks D
Coke-in-MN View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Coke-in-MN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Jan 2018 at 10:12am
It's the additives now for each problem old oils would face there are more now in byproducts of combustion . Change in fuels has created both deposits and chemical changes in what oil is suppose to do - then older engines had their own problems , yet the new oils can overcome many of them 

Faith isn't a jump in the dark. It is a walk in the light. Faith is not guessing; it is knowing something.
"Challenges are what make life interesting; overcoming them is what makes life meaningful."
jerbob View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jerbob Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Jan 2018 at 8:09am
Oil change performed, What a messy job. I opted to use Rotella T1 straight 30 weight for this oil change. The only thing missing was circus music and a clown car.
I ideled tractor for 10 minutes to warm up oil. Used a couple of 5 gallon buckets one under each drain plug. I emptied the rear and lower plug first thinking I could drain the front plug just as quick.
Wrong,,, the first pail filled and overflowed before I ever got the other drain opened. So I'm laying under the beast as 3 or 4 gallons of warm and dirty oil runs under me. The front drain which is higher, drained about a half gallon of old oil. Soooo, now I am trying to drag a bucket of oil across my dirt barn floor spilling even more oil. Gets even better when as I am inching back my ballerina like 6'4" 260 pound body out the front of the tractor, the tow hook snags my car hart coveralls and I'm stuck fast for 10 minutes. When I finally get everything pulled out, I figure I have a total of 4 gallons of old oil in both pails. I learned that next time I drain the higher front drain first and use my 20 gallon drain pan and let it fly.

DMiller View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DMiller Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Jan 2018 at 8:19am
I found a cut off 55 gallon drum metal or plastic fit the bill greatly for oil draining. Either slit holes in the sides on the plastic or fold over the edge on the steel for handles to facilitate dumping. The steel pan can have a simple spout hammered into an edges to keep the flow centered and not overwhelming. If have access to a heat gun(electric) ca form a similar spout on the plastic pan.
jerbob View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jerbob Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Jan 2018 at 9:05am
Great idea D. I have a 25 gallon rubber water tank that fits under tractor perfectly. Used it for the coolant drain I did this past fall. Had s brain fart and thought the pails would be better. BAD IDEA!

I had more oil on me and my coveralls than I did in the buckets! HAHAHAHA
jerbob View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jerbob Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Jan 2018 at 9:07am
Found a 10 gallon retangular plastic storage bin worked great for getting under final drive drains.
jerbob View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jerbob Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Jan 2018 at 12:11pm
Forum friends.

There is a "Rest of the Story" regarding my oil change on my 16DC.

I had a difficult time re attaching the filter canisters. Once the were finally on and torqued down, I proceeded to prime the system by turning over with fuel off. 15 seconds later I started up the tractor. NO OIL PRESSURE SHOWN so after a very short time I shut the unit down. That's when I noticed oil flowing around the tracks and a quick look showed me that the entire side of the engine was dripping oil. Upon a closer review both canisters were not seated in the filter head but the bottom bolt was tight. I tightened them but but didn't notice that the front side of the filter canisters were in but the back was not as I tightened them up crooked. Realigned the and made sure they were seated completely. It took 7.5 more gallons of oil to replace what shot out of the canisters.

Boy I felt like an idiot.
CAL(KS) View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CAL(KS) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Jan 2018 at 12:36pm
ooops!  LOL

jerbob View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jerbob Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Jan 2018 at 5:00pm
Hahaha a $88.00 oops
SteveM C/IL View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SteveM C/IL Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Jan 2018 at 9:20pm
Originally posted by jerbob jerbob wrote:

Forum friends.

There is a "Rest of the Story" regarding my oil change on my 16DC.

I had a difficult time re attaching the filter canisters. Once the were finally on and torqued down, I proceeded to prime the system by turning over with fuel off. 15 seconds later I started up the tractor. NO OIL PRESSURE SHOWN so after a very short time I shut the unit down. That's when I noticed oil flowing around the tracks and a quick look showed me that the entire side of the engine was dripping oil. Upon a closer review both canisters were not seated in the filter head but the bottom bolt was tight. I tightened them but but didn't notice that the front side of the filter canisters were in but the back was not as I tightened them up crooked. Realigned the and made sure they were seated completely. It took 7.5 more gallons of oil to replace what shot out of the canisters.

Boy I felt like an idiot.
Isn't experience a great teacher?
jerbob View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jerbob Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Jan 2018 at 6:01am
It truely is. Steve
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic