This site is not affiliated with AGCO Inc., Duluth GA., Allis-Chalmers Co., Milwaukee, WI., or any surviving or related corporate entity. All trademarks remain the property of their respective owners. All information presented herein should be considered the result of an un-moderated public forum with no responsibility for its accuracy or usability assumed by the users and sponsors of this site or any corporate entity.
The Forum Parts and Services Unofficial Allis Store Tractor Shows Serial Numbers History
Forum Home Forum Home > Allis Chalmers > Construction and other equipment
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

HD11EP TO THE ALLIS CHALMERS COLLECTION

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote AC Mel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: HD11EP TO THE ALLIS CHALMERS COLLECTION
    Posted: 18 Mar 2022 at 8:02pm
Ok... I know we've been pretty quite lately...but we did run across this HD11EP that looked like in needed a retirement home....so yes it came home yesterday.

IMG_4443(1)
It runs...but is stuck in reverse  (I'll explain later)
IMG_4448
So Davids on the backhoe and grandson Trenton is on the 11.
IMG_4450
We had to turn the tractor off...even in stall...stuck in reverse the backhoe couldn't pull it.
P3180029
So it has a Caterpillar blade....no explanation given for that.
P3180030
The blade actually fits real nice...might have to cut that sign off...or not.  The hydraulic tilt lines come out the top of the hard nose...haven't seen that before.
P3180032
The trunnions are welded to the swing frames.
P3180031
They fabricated there own wobblestick for the blade and tilt control. The original EPs did not have that...we'll see.  The serial number is 14215...probably 1969 ...last made in 1970..then to the B series. this has a lot of features and up grades of the B models.
   OK guys listen carefully we would really like some help. So the story goes like this. The person we got it from said it was a perfectly good running tractor and he sold it to somebody that had no previous dozer experience. He had it delivered to the site but was not there and Had told the gentleman he would come the next day and give him lessons on it. Well it did not go that way the new owner got on it and drove it towards his shop and being totally unfamiliar with a decelerator pedal apparently had way too much throttle on and panicked when he got close to running into his shop and managed to slam it into reverse at full throttle instead of decelerating. So for reasons to be determined it is in reverse and will not come out of that. So the previous owner….. that we got it from…. Took it back because he was threatened with litigation etc. he also happens to be a tractor truck mechanic with his own service truck. He feels that it is probably a bent shaft on a clutch pack. The reason he decided to get rid of it was because he just has too many projects and he’s too busy to work on it even with the rest of his personal tractors to work on. So yes there will be a whole bunch of simple things to look at first linkages etc. but under those conditions that we think happened does anybody have any ideas where to look first? It’s a really nice specimen and our first thought was parts tractor but now that I know the serial number and how good the condition is I don’t think so. So start posting ideas guys thank you.
Sponsored Links

HD6 Merv View Drop Down
Silver Level Access
Silver Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote HD6 Merv Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Mar 2022 at 8:29pm
Hi Mel and Dave.  Yes its a late model EP with rockford torque converter same as series B. And man that is tidy; plus a F50 PS winch Tongue
for it to be stuck in reverse, my first thoughts are linkage.  Can,t really see that one bad shift into reverse would have hurt it; more likely to hurt the mushroom in the seat.
{ yeah mushroom; bit of an aussie/kiwi terminology for someone who been kept in the dark and fed on sh. . Confused]
Highly unlikely R1 clutch pack has been fried and plates are warped causing it to drive ?
My thoughts anyway.  Always great to read your posts
Cheers from the bottom of the world in NZ.
tits tyres and tracks

they all cost you money
AC Mel View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote AC Mel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Mar 2022 at 8:44pm
Merv....I love it!!....Yes it's a tidy "specimen" were going to start looking for simple stuff first.
wjohn View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wjohn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Mar 2022 at 9:18pm
I'm no help but that's a good looking dozer, even with the CAT blade.
1939 B, 1940 B, 1941 WC, 1951 WD, 1952 CA, 1956 WD-45
Tad Wicks View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Tad Wicks Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Mar 2022 at 11:46am
Great piece of iron there Mel, you could go to a local fab shop and have the "AC" letters cut out on a CNC burn table or flo jet and replace the Cat with ALLIS CHALMERS just becauseSmile Merv I was trying to figure out the mushroom, here in the mountain farmland of the California Costal Range, we have "volcanoes" in the seats of most of the farm equipment just from the "pucker facter"Smile
Ray54 View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ray54 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Mar 2022 at 11:58am
More coffee Tad (or what ever to get you going in the morning ). We are surrounded by mushrooms trying to operate the whole state here.  

Mel hope you get to try things out soon. I have a million hours farming with a crawler only hundreds running a dozer blade. A very cleaver friend saw the potential when he helped put a tilt cylinder on a D6 9u dozer I have. We lucked into a Hydreco tank and control valve from a IH TD 14 loader. With the usual TD 14 head/engine troubles of short run times the valve was in very good shape. He constructed a joystick that is very good. Hope yours works as well.  

Edited by Ray54 - 21 Mar 2022 at 12:11pm
shameless dude View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote shameless dude Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Apr 2022 at 12:19am
WooHoo!!!! i've been refreshed! sure did miss ya Mel...missed your pics and stories and seeing your bro doing all the work! hey...i just thunks of something...if'n i gits thru this land sale...maybe i could come out there and show you how to cut firewood!!!! LMAO
Ian Beale View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ian Beale Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Apr 2022 at 5:34am
Shameless

Re that firewood cutting demonstration -

A story from an old time pub in Oz and a customer has to visit the gents which was in the yard at the back.  On the way he passes the handyman cutting firewood with a crosscut saw which is screeching,

Says to him "You haven't got got much set on that saw"

Reply was " Haven't I be geez, and I've got one on the bloody axe too".

I'd guess Mel would be able to provide appropriate tools
AC Mel View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AC Mel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Apr 2022 at 2:38pm
Shameless....Where you been? I came through Nebraska last week...didn't see you anywhere....have a new hat for you...but I had to bring it home with me.
   So the 11EP....I took the transmission control valve apart hoping that I would find a problem...doesn't appear to be any thing wrong (disappointing) haven't done any more on it.
DMiller View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DMiller Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Apr 2022 at 5:27pm
Gonna have to say it, trans will have to come out.  IF it did similar to the 7G it lost a TINY seemingly insignificant pin in a clutch pack and is now forever in gear.
AC Mel View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AC Mel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Apr 2022 at 7:31pm
Dave...I think your probably right....doesn't seem like I could even run the pressure tests.  So the 7G event....did that happen on yours? 
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote shameless dude Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Apr 2022 at 10:09pm
well shucks MEL, i was in KS last week picking up an auction treasure! you gots my phone number...
DMiller View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DMiller Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Apr 2022 at 3:41am
Yes it did Mel
Alignment pin in a clutch hub failed or was missing to begin with where the hub moved and locked the clutch in Lo Rev.

Trying to find that photo now
DMiller View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DMiller Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Apr 2022 at 5:03am
Mel, did some minor research, on page 138 of the FA Parts manual for the 11B and 155 for the HD11EP the clutch set ups are almost exact as my 7G, definitely the same producer just different casings.

There is a Small SHORT pin that connects the case halves of the clutch pack housings, that pin is what disappeared in my 7G where the clutches then got exceedingly hot from the immediate slippage and Locked in gear.

This was in the opposite side.

DMiller View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DMiller Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Apr 2022 at 5:05am
The one I found to make a replacement was Mild Steel and deforming.

The one missing from the Reverse Pack I never found, it may not have been there to begin with as the trans was the Original I had tried to rebuild and could not remember it in the tear down process.  That trans was a mess internally to begin with.
Codger View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Codger Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Apr 2022 at 6:11am
AC Mel View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AC Mel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Apr 2022 at 11:15am
Dave....I love it!...smoking gun pictures!...we'll run with your diagnosis for now. Don't know how soon I'll get started on it.  We finished putting the roof on our 100' x150' shop last fall...after 15 years..so we have some place to work on things now.  I might call you or email you when I get in there and see what it looks like.  I'll try to post pictures/videos of the procedure on the way.

Shameless....Your right ...I should have called. So now that you said you were in Kansas......''Melvins Law''  not murphy says you were in Kansas city...we were in Kansas City for 3 nights....my wife's aunts 102nd birthday party.   That,s all right I have your address here somewhere.
DMiller View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DMiller Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Apr 2022 at 4:54pm
When get into the Clutch Shift Piston I used a two piece Quad Ring supported Teflon Slip ring instead of the O-ring, was for a Mast Cylinder Sliding Seal.  Just went by OD need where the BU quad ring was less than 1/4" square, Required some healthy Compressing to get together(Hose clamps and tin sheeting) but functioned well for my use, shifted Positively.
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote shameless dude Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Apr 2022 at 11:27pm
Mel...chances are you wasn't driving one of them blue wanna-be trucks, so i wouldn't have been able to see you down there! but then we didn't get to KC, was in a little dogpatch type village down there, i don't think there was a single house that didn't have a bunch of tires strewn around the yard amongst other treasures! we'll meet up someday i'm sure! wish yer Aunt a happy be-lated Birthday from me! 
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic