This site is not affiliated with AGCO Inc., Duluth GA., Allis-Chalmers Co., Milwaukee, WI., or any surviving or related corporate entity. All trademarks remain the property of their respective owners. All information presented herein should be considered the result of an un-moderated public forum with no responsibility for its accuracy or usability assumed by the users and sponsors of this site or any corporate entity.
The Forum Parts and Services Unofficial Allis Store Tractor Shows Serial Numbers History
Forum Home Forum Home > Allis Chalmers > Construction and other equipment
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

hd11 question

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Silver Level
Silver Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote michale34 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: hd11 question
    Posted: 06 Sep 2011 at 2:02pm
hi I was looking for a hd11 im not sure the series my dad had one with the master clutch and the steering clutch leavers were on the dash I know it wasent turbo  or powershift. does anyone know what series this is.
Sponsored Links

Tad Wicks View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tad Wicks Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Sep 2011 at 3:58pm
I believe the last of the 11S's had an oil clutch and power steering, and they used that all the way through on the clutch tractors. Look on the upper right rear of the chassis, there will be a serial number stamped there. Tad
Mactractor View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mactractor Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Sep 2011 at 5:48pm
The second series of HD11Bs fit Michaels description. Steering clutches were dry (no power steer) like early 11B, but levers mounted on the dash just like power steer 11E. All power steer 11s were turbocharged, so it would not have been an 11E. Master clutch was multi plate oil cooled like 11E. Tracks were 40 link like 11E, but truck wheels were smaller, same as early 11B, just one more each side for the extra track links. Engine was AC 10000 naturaly aspirated giving a few more horses than the Buda did. In short, the model was the bigger version of the HD6B with optional oil master clutch and longer track. I also would like to get my hands on one of these nuggets.  Mac
michale34 View Drop Down
Silver Level
Silver Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote michale34 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Sep 2011 at 9:52am
i see 2 on machinerytrader.com that look like it. there  steep in price  the one  that looks like it the most says had11f
michale34 View Drop Down
Silver Level
Silver Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote michale34 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Sep 2011 at 9:52am
Originally posted by michale34 michale34 wrote:

i see 2 on machinerytrader.com that look like it. there  steep in price  the one  that looks like it the most says had11f
sorry hd11f
Tad Wicks View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tad Wicks Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Sep 2011 at 2:03pm
 Can someone clue me in as to the succession of the 11 series? mine is stamped  11 "S" 5258, does that make it is an "S" series or a 11B, it had the AC/Buda with the LaNova fuel cell injection. I believe that it was stated that only turbocharged "B" tractors had power steering and an oil clutch but there are two 11's here locally that are identical to mine, (a few years later) except for the injection (direct injected) non turbo that have power steering and oil clutch, but I don't believe that they have power brakes like my cousin's turbocharged "B"   Tad

Edited by Tad Wicks - 07 Sep 2011 at 2:04pm
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mactractor Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Sep 2011 at 3:45pm
Tad, my reply was all power steer 11s were turbo`d, but later B models had oil master clutch & 10000 (non turbo) engine. A basic summary;  First tractors had Buda & all clutches dry. Next series (11B revamped) had AC 10000 engine, oil master clutch, longer (40 link) track option, dry steering clutches with steering levers on dash like power steer tractors ( Confusion here as many think these are power steer tractors) Then with the introduction of hydraulic steering (11E) & powershift (11EP) the 11000 turbocharged engine went in all tractors except the 11B which I have described in these two posts. In 1971 came the series B tractors (revamped E & EP models). Throughout these progressive series of 11`s,  F, S, & EC models were available. F & S models did not come to New Zealand so I dont know much about em. I will look up my parts and service books and come back with the serial numbers at the changes.  Mac
HD6 Merv View Drop Down
Silver Level Access
Silver Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote HD6 Merv Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Sep 2011 at 3:45am
HD11
Just to add abit more to Macs Hd11 history HD11E came out in 1958 and had a 7 roller frame, and was available along with the 6 roller frame 11B. HD11EC was also avaiilable and was similar to the 11E but with a manuel clutch; torque converter and 3spd manuel shift.. At s/n 6069 all 11s came out with dry power boosted steering clutchs.
At 6428 the 10000 engine was fitted to all crawlers and at 6473 an oil master clutch became available and the 11EC started production.
At s/n 10000; major changes took place with the introduction of the EP powershift series and the turbocharged 11000 series engine was fitted to the EP EC and E tractors along with oil cooled steering clutches and brakes.
The HD11B continued production with the non turbo 10000 motor and dry power boosted steering clutchs.
The 11S was similar to the 11B but had a lighter nose cone as it was sold as a agricultural tractor.
11F was a pipelayer. and 11G was a trackloader and was also available as the 11GC with torque converter drive.
Later only the 11E and EP were made, and then the HD11 series B crawlers started in 1971.
Merv.
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mactractor Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Sep 2011 at 4:55am
Tad, just to clarify things, when I refer to power steering, I mean Hydraulic actuation with cluthes emersed in oil, not boosted dry clutches. I may have misinterpreted your meaning of power steer. Many do think though, that those levers on the dash of a dry steer tractor mean its hydraulic steer coz the levers are  the same.   Mac
michale34 View Drop Down
Silver Level
Silver Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote michale34 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Sep 2011 at 8:12am
I do remember dad saying that it had oil steering clutches like the hd7g . they had trouble with the steering on that machine but finaly got it fixed .
Tad Wicks View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tad Wicks Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Sep 2011 at 3:58pm
I am beginning to see the light, but I am still confused as to just exactly what series mine is. It was originally painted AC Industrial yellow under about 13 coats of paint, I could not tell if the hardnose was original or not and it had the hydraulic tank mounted on the right hand deck in front of the battery box making right hand side access impossible. The power steering I  made reference to, is the dash mounted levers operating a valve and slave unit that sits over the ring and pinion and uses the same bolts as the cover and uses the same splined release bearing shaft on dry clutches and brakes, as a point of interest, I have located one of these units and plan on installing it my 11 sans dash mounted levers, I never liked those much, I will probably us the original lever position with shorter, narrower, closer together levers like the IH TD15 had.  One of the fellows I used to do a lot of work for had an late model 11(probably late 70's) and I don't remember if it was a "D" or "E" but it was a square tractor much like the AG, they had put a farmer blade on it that wasn't very good but it would move dirt ,I really did like the tractor, they used it most for ag. While on the subject of dry steering clutches, mine make a great deal of noise, (I call it squanking) especially on an uphill turn with a load, even idled down, I try to feather them in and out and the clutch will try to grab and make noise worse that any other tractor I have ever driven. (you guys that run flat ground probably don't know what I am talking about) I wonder about what it would take to make it a wet clutch and brake other than different brake linning and sealing up the brake actuator hole?? I know there are 2 tapered disks in each clutch that have to be timed, I am sure they were thought up to try and help the clutch feather in and out but just doesn't work. Tad
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mactractor Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Sep 2011 at 6:30pm
Tad, your tractor could have been built up from different model 11`s. The back housing obviously from a S with that serial number, other parts from a B if they are dozer components. Have encountered that practice a few times. The steering you described sounds like the boosted dry steer. The hydro steer has a spool valve over the ring & pinion fed from engine mounted pump. I looked into changing dry steer HD6 to oil emersed many years ago, thinking I could just change all the shafts to multi spline the hydro steer has, clutches and brakes. Was told the bearing bores were different. My work is dozing and logging on steep country, so I know exactly what you mean with noisy dry clutches. After I got used to the much quicker steering clutch disengaging of my first hydro steer tractor (got a few scares on very steep climbs & decents), I never wanted to go back to dry steer. If you get the chance to run a later 11 with hydro steer, you also may prefer it.  Mac
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mactractor Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Sep 2011 at 11:22pm
Been thinkin more on your idea Tad. Just oil emerse your steer clutch/brake assemblies without hydraulic clutch actuation to give you all the wet clutch benefits of smoother clutching, longer clutch and brake life and WAY FEWER BRAKE ADJUSTMENTS without the problems and costs associated with pumps, valves, actuators, and plumbing for hydro steer. Need double sided seals for clutch and bevel gear compartments. I like the idea.  Mac
Tad Wicks View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tad Wicks Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Sep 2011 at 5:52pm
Mac, I am sure that a higher coefficient of friction, impervious brake lining would be necessary to run in oil, probably the same as they ran in the newer 11's but I bet the bi-metal steering clutches wouldn't know the difference. the problem would be sealing up the brake rod hole, maybe a pivot shaft with O-rings at edge of the housing, or sealed sliding sleeve, I don't think a boot would stay there and seal sufficiently after a period of time. I was one always to specify National Seals on everything I could and I was glad to pay the extra money for them, they had a two sided ,heavy frame with double lipped seal with a tension spring, not like the Chicago Rawhide Seal or Victor Seal garbage, that if you push a bit to hard on installation will bend and the don't have double lip or spring, they are a leak waiting to happen. I think that Victor ended up buying National so that is probably another dead end.
 I think that Cat did pretty much what we are taking about on the later D7- 17A, no pumps, they already had hydraulic boosted steering, so they just sealed up the housing and added oil. Tad
Coke-in-MN View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Coke-in-MN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Sep 2011 at 6:47pm
If one was going to go through the work of putting hyd assisted steering clutches to use I would wonder why to even use the levers and not just go to all foot control like later machines , seems if a linkage is operating a valve it would be easire to use brake linkage to activate the valves . this leaves both hands free .
Faith isn't a jump in the dark. It is a walk in the light. Faith is not guessing; it is knowing something.
"Challenges are what make life interesting; overcoming them is what makes life meaningful."
Tad Wicks View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tad Wicks Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Sep 2011 at 7:30pm
Coke, for a dozer tractor, no doubt what you suggested would work great, but this is a farm tractor,  so not much to do with my hands anyway. One of the main reasons to keep them separate is "cross steer" , coming down a steep slope you have to use the opposite  clutch lever or apply the brake first then the lever, besides, if it was foot steer I couldn't put my feet up (insert smiley face here). They didn't build these tractors for 6'4''/ 38'' inseam people.(put another smiley face here)   :-)   Tad
HD6 Merv View Drop Down
Silver Level Access
Silver Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote HD6 Merv Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Sep 2011 at 8:32pm
Just to add abit more here. The bronze plates in wet and dry clutchs are totally different, as with the brake lining material. Steel plates are the same is most wet and dry clutchs, but sometimes manufacturers add a dished seperator plate to stop oil drag. Also the clutch springs are almost always different and stronger in the wet clutch. Always pays to cross check part nos from wet and dry clutchs to check what changes.
tad you could put the heavier springs in your dry clutchs, but would probably have to add the hydraulic boosted clutch actuatation system HD11s had from 6038 up to 9999.
Also when dry bonze plates are squarking like that the glaze the plates and the heat causes the springs to get weak. So would pay to pull them and deglaze them sometime as they won,t get any better. I had to do my Dry D4D like this and you simply sand the bronze plates with this circumference and the steel ones radially.
Merv
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic