This site is not affiliated with AGCO Inc., Duluth GA., Allis-Chalmers Co., Milwaukee, WI., or any surviving or related corporate entity. All trademarks remain the property of their respective owners. All information presented herein should be considered the result of an un-moderated public forum with no responsibility for its accuracy or usability assumed by the users and sponsors of this site or any corporate entity.
The Forum Parts and Services Unofficial Allis Store Tractor Shows Serial Numbers History
Forum Home Forum Home > Allis Chalmers > Construction and other equipment
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

HD-11 Info Needed

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jim Allen Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: HD-11 Info Needed
    Posted: 18 Nov 2021 at 3:36pm
I don't have a great deal of info on A-C construction equipment. I am working on a story for Diesel World magazine and would appreciate clarification on something regarding the HD-11.

Doing a story on John Pelton's 1970 220M USAF tractor, which was built as part of a Bare Base construction equipment package, whereby forward airbases could be set up within 72 hours with equipment transported by C-130 aircraft. In the batch of which Pelton's was included, there was listed four HD11 crawlers with dozer blades and other special equipment. In order to tell the story of the 220M, I am outlining the Bare Base system and "Family" of equipment that was ordered from A-C... at least one time.

My anomaly is this: All the resources I have and can see online say the HD-11 was discontinued in 1965  and this package was assembled in 1970.

Can anyone clarify?

Jim Allen
Keeping the Past Alive
Sponsored Links

DiyDave View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DiyDave Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Nov 2021 at 6:02pm
Originally posted by Jim Allen Jim Allen wrote:

I don't have a great deal of info on A-C construction equipment. I am working on a story for Diesel World magazine and would appreciate clarification on something regarding the HD-11.

Doing a story on John Pelton's 1970 220M USAF tractor, which was built as part of a Bare Base construction equipment package, whereby forward airbases could be set up within 72 hours with equipment transported by C-130 aircraft. In the batch of which Pelton's was included, there was listed four HD11 crawlers with dozer blades and other special equipment. In order to tell the story of the 220M, I am outlining the Bare Base system and "Family" of equipment that was ordered from A-C... at least one time.

My anomaly is this: All the resources I have and can see online say the HD-11 was discontinued in 1965  and this package was assembled in 1970.

Can anyone clarify?

For 1971, HD 11 became HD11B with some changes . Remember that the Bare Base family used the 3500 engine, probably for weight savings.  I would suggest you get a hold of a copy of Norm Swinfords book, Allis-Chalmers Construction Machinery & Industrial Equipment.  Might give you more of an idea, than I can type in, with 2 fat fingers...Wink
Source: Babylon Bee. Sponsored by BRAWNDO, its got what you need!
Lazyts View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lazyts Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Nov 2021 at 6:15pm
These would have been HD11EP tractors- set up with winches and cranes according to Swinford's book.  Some time ago we noticed an HD11EP on Machinery Trader of that era with a 3500 engine clearly fitted.  I would think the 3500 would perform quite nicely in an HD11 power shift machine.
Lazyts View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Lazyts Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Nov 2021 at 6:36pm
Jim Allen View Drop Down
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jim Allen Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Nov 2021 at 6:51pm
Thanks gents. Yes, I want that book but have literally just a week on the deadline and I'd like to find a book a bit less costly than the ones I see online. Looks like Mr. Swinford is still with us... in his mid 90s now.  He's done some great work.

Edited by Jim Allen - 20 Nov 2021 at 6:28am
Jim Allen
Keeping the Past Alive
injpumpEd View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote injpumpEd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Nov 2021 at 5:24pm
No, sadly he passed away a couple of years ago. 
210 "too hot to farm" puller, part of the "insane pumpkin posse". Owner of Guenther Heritage Diesel, specializing in fuel injection systems on heritage era tractors. stock rebuilds to all out pullers!
Jim Allen View Drop Down
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jim Allen Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Nov 2021 at 5:41pm
A loss!
Jim Allen
Keeping the Past Alive
Lazyts View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Lazyts Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Nov 2021 at 8:07pm
From Swinford book:
"In 1970 Allis-Chalmers developed the "Bare Base" family of construction machinery for the U.S. Air Force.  All the vehicles were powered by the 3500 engine for commonality.  The HD11 was modified with the 3500 engine rated at 143 flywheel horsepower ate 2.050 rpm.  The power-shift transmission had speeds from 3.0 to 5.8 mph.  Each HD11 was equipped with a bulldozer, winch, and A-frame hoist.  The unit weighed 31, 879 pounds, reducible to 26,998 pounds, and was air transportable."
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic